post #1 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 946
??????

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 53
????????? tongue.gif

Comskip donator's version. I use DirMon 2 to check if there are any unprocessed .wtv files. It may be a little easier than dealing with DVRMSToolbox to start comskip, depending on your setup of course.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 for Dirmon + Donator comskip. Works like a dream and you don't even know it's there.
Yeah, you need to install DTb for auto skipping, nut disable all of the other features and you'll love it.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #4 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I was wondering about this too.

Does ad-skipping work one copy-once recordings too?
post #5 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM

No, it doesn't work on copy-once recordings. In my setup, I do use DVRMSToolbox, but only to generate an empty commercials XML file for the copy-once recordings. Then, DirMon 2 sees that an XML file for that particular recording has already been created and won't start Comskip on the file.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
The replies so far discuss how to skip/bypass commercials during playback.

The OP inquired about how "to remove commercials from recordings".

For that, you'd need a video editor. I use VideoRedo for my OTA stuff (720p and 1080i MPEG2).

post #7 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Video Redo is very good at detecting them for removal.

I've tried Show Analyzer in the past and just found it to be too difficult to work with. I'd rather press the skip button four or five times than have that eating up CPU power and occasionally getting one wrong.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

The replies so far discuss how to skip/bypass commercials during playback.

The OP inquired about how "to remove commercials from recordings".

For that, you'd need a video editor. I use VideoRedo for my OTA stuff (720p and 1080i MPEG2).
Yes.

I want to remove them forever. No sense in keeping that crap or having to fast forward through it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM

My bad...I don't actually remove the commercials. I use DTB Addin to read the commercials file in WMC and it automatically skips them when playing. Since I delete shows after watching, I'm not concerned with disk space. Also, Comskip isn't always accurate so I'm afraid of cutting out part of the actual show if I remove the commercials.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
DirMon 2 + Show Analyzer + DTB Addin. Easy to use and works very well for the most part. I know that you said you want to remote commercials permanently, but you always risk removing something that you wanted to keep (although I don't think Show Analyzer has messed up for me yet).

I believe MCEBuddy lets you permanently delete commercials.

Also, FYI, if you're using Flexraid make sure you don't analyze commercials during a parity update process. I've had issues with that, but it's easy to schedule around that using DirMon2.
post #11 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
post #12 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM

I think Mfusick is using FlexRaid, he's made a bunch of posts about his FlexRaid endeavors biggrin.gif. Mfusick, I forget if you said you use Comskip or ShowAnalyzer. Whatever the case, are your video files on the FlexRaid pool when you analyze them, or do you have a scratch disk?
post #13 of 36 Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yes.

I want to remove them forever. No sense in keeping that crap or having to fast forward through it.

It appears that you and I are similar in how we consume TV content.

Most folks watch and delete, so commercial skipping is all they require.

I -- and you, apparently -- collect and archive the content we record, so commercial editing/removal is preferred.

I have been recording HD OTA for about 7 years, but have only been routinely editing commercials out since the 2010-2011 TV season. I am slowly going through a pile of 2009 and earlier OTA stuff that I have yet to edit out commercials from.

It is tedius, but ultimately rewarding to have that nice commercial-free HD library. Many programs that air do not get released to Blu-ray (only to standard-def DVD), and in many instances those that do have had alterations made for publication to video (i.e. songs that appeared in the original broadcast are removed or replaced on the DVD or Blu-ray because of licensing issues).

Anyhow, besides VideoRedo (which is payware, around $50 USD), there is another editing tool that can remove commercials called HDTVtoMPEG2 available *here*

post #14 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I used to edit and archive my TV shows and store them on DVD. I got to where I had a vast library of TV shows on DVD that occupied lots of shelf space and no time to watch them. I eventually trashed all of the DVDs and don't miss them a bit. Now that I have a rather large server (currently around 24TB), I generally don't archive TV shows anymore with but few exceptions. The shows I do keep I'll download in mkv format from torrent sites. They're already edited and commercial-free so I don't have to do a thing. I started off by editing the original files that I recorded myself but soon realized it was simply taking up too much of my time. Chances are the few shows I do archive will end up getting deleted at some point in favor of using the storage space for new recordings or movies.

Having a huge library of archived TV shows probably seems like a good idea right now, but realistically it's pretty much a waste of time and resources. Chances are any TV show you want to watch a 2nd time will be available from NetFlix or some other source. Aside from an occasional late night rerun on the TV in the bedroom, I rarely watch a TV show more than once, let alone an entire series. I must admit, however, I have archived the entire Seinfeld series and I've probably watched each episode at least a half dozen times each. I used to record them on VHS and take them into the office where we'd watch them in the break room during lunch.

Although I have the entire series on my server, I have yet to view a single episode at home. I have actually archived the entire series on at least four different occasions. I used to have DirecTivos and DirecTV and got into archiving TV shows when the hacks were first developed for transferring shows to a PC. The early editing programs were a bit clunky and could not edit to specific frames so there would still be some parts of the commercials left in the archived recording. As the editing features improved, I'd re-record the entire series again and re-edit and archive the series. When VideoReDo became available we were all in hog heaven. The irony is, for all the work I put into it, I have never watched a single episode I archived on DVD. It was a fun project at the time, but looking back it was a monumental waste of time.

The question is, how many of those shows that you spent hours editing and archiving have you actually watched a 2nd time? If you haven't watched them yet, when would it even be realisticaly feasible for you to do so?
post #15 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Captain video -

For mainstream episodic TV, you have a point. The cost of time investment is probably not worth it if you can easily acquire a disc or watch on a streaming service later. However, there is quite a lot of content that doesn't get made available or even rebroadcast regularly.

For instance, I collect a lot of music performances and documentaries that air on TV and some sports games and related content. This content is often impossible to obtain later in high quality form if not captured when broadcasted.

I use VideoRedo to edit (great product), and yes I do watch the content that I archive!
post #16 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

..... When VideoReDo became available we were all in hog heaven. The irony is, for all the work I put into it, I have never watched a single episode I archived on DVD. It was a fun project at the time, but looking back it was a monumental waste of time.

The question is, how many of those shows that you spent hours editing and archiving have you actually watched a 2nd time? If you haven't watched them yet, when would it even be realisticaly feasible for you to do so?
I detest commercials and use VRD to strip my captures for viewing and archiving and I have gone back to view a series, although I'll use Netflix(when possible) rather than dig out the disks now. I used to Author to DVD but now I make data disks since most players display them just fine and will even upscale them over analog (component to a PJ), even PAL rips. I only Author if I'm recording for other people.

I now often use archiving in a different manner than most people to view a show after the season ends. While serialized dramas seem to be the rage, I don't have the patience to wait, and wait, and wait, to find that the season ends without resolution, either stretching into the next season or cut off without that "next season" arriving at all. "Dollhouse" and "Hunted" were keepers and viewed but "Primeval: New World", "The Event", "The Cape", "Arrow", "Once Upon A Time", "666 Park Avenue" are headed for the bin. I waited two years for "The Dead Zone" to resolve the Stillson story line - caught up - only to have it reintroduced in the finale.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #17 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I detest commercials and use VRD to strip my captures for viewing and archiving and I have gone back to view a series, although I'll use Netflix(when possible) rather than dig out the disks now. I used to Author to DVD but now I make data disks since most players display them just fine and will even upscale them over analog (component to a PJ), even PAL rips. I only Author if I'm recording for other people.

I now often use archiving in a different manner than most people to view a show after the season ends. While serialized dramas seem to be the rage, I don't have the patience to wait, and wait, and wait, to find that the season ends without resolution, either stretching into the next season or cut off without that "next season" arriving at all. "Dollhouse" and "Hunted" were keepers and viewed but "Primeval: New World", "The Event", "The Cape", "Arrow", "Once Upon A Time", "666 Park Avenue" are headed for the bin. I waited two years for "The Dead Zone" to resolve the Stillson story line - caught up - only to have it reintroduced in the finale.
For the most part I detest them as well, although every once in a while one comes along that is actually entertaining. Some of the older Capital One commercials are a prime example (they really need to dump Alec Baldwin and go back to the Vikings). I don't use NetFlix or other streaming services because the quality is crap compared to an original recording. If I waited until a season ended to watch a series I'd never get through any of them. I tend to record just what I can watch in a week's time (and I watch a lot of TV) so I'm never backlogged more than a few days. With the current crop of Summer shows I've got stuff to watch nonstop all year round.

I like to check websites like The Futon Critic for news on the satus of shows. If I find out one that I watch is being cancelled I tend to delete it from my series recordings and not bother watching the rest of the episodes unless it's revealed that they'll wrap up the storyline with the final episode. Last Resort was one such recent show. I haven't heard anything about Once Upon a Time or Arrow being canceled. The CW will run a show to death so I'd be surprised if Arrow gets canned anytime soon. Neither show is listed on any of the TV show cancellation lists I've seen so I'm not sure why you think they're being dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Captain video -

For mainstream episodic TV, you have a point. The cost of time investment is probably not worth it if you can easily acquire a disc or watch on a streaming service later. However, there is quite a lot of content that doesn't get made available or even rebroadcast regularly.

For instance, I collect a lot of music performances and documentaries that air on TV and some sports games and related content. This content is often impossible to obtain later in high quality form if not captured when broadcasted.

I use VideoRedo to edit (great product), and yes I do watch the content that I archive!

I'm with you with regards to music videos and special programming. I do archive some rock concerts from HDNet and Palladia. I've also kept all of the NFL playoff games and the SuperBowl since I'm a Ravens fan. For this type of content archiving makes perfect sense. For TV episodes, it just takes up too much time and space.
post #18 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 16
post #19 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

Ah, the truth comes out.

I'm coming to the conclusion that your sentiment can also be applied to:
a) watching junk pumped out of Hollywood
b) slaving away to hoard said junk
c) participating in AVSForum to become a more efficient slave

So few hours in a life, yet so much difficulty to spend them in pursuit of something worthwhile. Time to try much harder. It's been fun, gentlemen.
Well you know what they say, "One man's junk is another man's treasure." wink.gif FWIW, I do my best to avoid watching "junk TV", particularly anything related to "reality" TV. Everyone has their own tastes in TV programming so we'll leave it at that since that discussion goes far beyond the boundaries of this forum.

I see TV as more of a time to relax and forget about the problems of the day. If I can watch a quality show with good writing, good acting, and a decent script then so much the better (Homicide was probably one of the best shows that ever got canceled). I've deleted shows from my series recording list after only one or two viewings if it starts looking like "Hollywood junk." As for hoarding said junk, my archiving habits tended to be limited to certain Sci-Fi shows like Babylon 5, Farscape, and one or two others of that genre.
post #20 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:

??????

Use VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 to edit HD MPEG-2 files (ATSC broadcast TV) and DVB-S (PBS HD programs from AMC-21 satellite) MPEG-4 files. It works OK on older hardware for MPEG-2 but you need more recent hardware for MPEG-4 files. There are a couple of functions that are not available when editing MPEG-4 files but the basic operation is fine.
post #21 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I use MCEBuddy.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #22 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I haven't heard anything about Once Upon a Time or Arrow being canceled. The CW will run a show to death so I'd be surprised if Arrow gets canned anytime soon. Neither show is listed on any of the TV show cancellation lists I've seen so I'm not sure why you think they're being dropped.
I just decided that those didn't interest me, not that they were being cancelled. I recorded them "just in case", like I did "Dollhouse". At 20 cents a disk, I don't mind the wasted DVDs.

I'll record almost anything in the Sci-Fi category (hoping for a gem) but some of it is too painful to watch (ever).

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #23 of 36 Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 12
Using comskip run thru MCE Buddy. There's no one config that'll work for every show, every channel, all the time. I have been creating custom .ini files but sometimes wonder if it's worth the effort. The biggest issue I seem to have with standard TV shows is tuning to avoid clipping the beginning of shows. Shows that include other outside clips (news clips, sports highlights, internet clips, etc.) are tough in that the clips often get flagged as commercials. These take a little extra care in tuning.
post #24 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgiant View Post

Using comskip run thru MCE Buddy. There's no one config that'll work for every show, every channel, all the time. I have been creating custom .ini files but sometimes wonder if it's worth the effort. The biggest issue I seem to have with standard TV shows is tuning to avoid clipping the beginning of shows. Shows that include other outside clips (news clips, sports highlights, internet clips, etc.) are tough in that the clips often get flagged as commercials. These take a little extra care in tuning.

So true. It is really hard to get the end of a show that only last 30 seconds or so. Most of the time it will not skip the commercial before it, or it will skip the commercial and the last bit of the show. Comskip has a setting to save the last X amount of seconds, but the problem is that not every episode has that short section of show at the end even within the same series so it becomes difficult to tune the INI file perfectly even for a specific series.

As you mention, little 5-10 second news blips or promos that have the network logo are also annoying. At least those are usually short.
post #25 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
That's hard to get just fast forwarding with a remote sometimes.

post #26 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another vote for MCE Buddy

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
post #27 of 36 Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 176
This thread seems to have died, but I'm adding my thoughts anyhow.

I use MCE Buddy too and it works well for a completely automated solution. My only problem is that it's a bit too automated for my taste: I'd prefer to tweak the commercial edits discovered by Comskip or Showanalyzer before creating an edited file, but MCE Buddy wants to convert the files as soon as they're recorded.

DVRMS Toolbox includes a video editor that should be just about perfect for this task. Unfortunately it seems rather buggy, and it's even more poorly documented than the rest of DVRMS Toolbox. I couldn't even get the latest version (1.2.2.5) to open .WTV files, although it would open .TS files OK. I tried earlier versions and discovered that if I went back to 1.2.2.0, it would open .WTV files, but I could only output the edited file as a .MKV, and I had audio/video sync problems to boot.

Edit: I discovered I can use the DTB video editor just to tweak the commercial edits (.EDL files) and then use MCE Buddy to produce the final edited video. It's a bit cumbersome though. Here's what I did:
  1. Set up DTB to run ShowAnalyzer automatically on all recordings, just as you would for skipping recordings during playback. This produces a "first draft" of commercial edits
  2. Created a "to be converted" folder and set MCE Buddy up to monitor and convert files found there (removing commercials of course)

Then I follow these steps for each recording:
  1. Load the recording into the DTB video editor (version 1.2.2.0). It automatically loads ShowAnalyzer's edits
  2. Tweak the commercial edits as needed
  3. Click the "Save .EDL" button to save the tweaked edits
  4. Copy/move the .EDL file to my "to be converted" folder
  5. Copy/move the corresponding .WTV file
  6. Wait for MCE Buddy to do the conversion, then remove the files from "to be converted"

If this is all you use MCE Buddy for, you could configure it to delete the video files from "to be converted" after converting them. But the "delete after converting" option is global and I use MCE Buddy for other conversion tasks too, so I clean up my "to be converted" folder manually. (I'd have to manually delete the .EDL files anyhow.)

In steps 4 & 5, I typically copy the files rather than moving them, so I can still watch them in WMC's Recorded TV. But I noticed the DTB commercial-skip add-in doesn't read the edited .EDL files. Instead it reads the .chapters.XML files ShowAnalyzer also creates. That means my tweaks have no effect when watching in Recorded TV; the "first draft" edits discovered by ShowAnalyzer are used instead. But the converted files that MCE Buddy creates do use the tweaked edits, so they're suitable, e.g., for burning to DVD.

Tweaking ShowAnalyzer's edits with the DTB video editor is the most cumbersome step, but that's the only free, simple video editor I know of that reads & writes .EDL files. Besides, it's not too bad once you get the hang of it, as long as you only have a few shows each week to edit.
post #28 of 36 Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

??????

I'm curious, did you ever figure out a good solution and process for managing your recorded TV and commercials?
post #29 of 36 Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 65
I'll bump this one too. I am also interested in the best way to read WTV embedded metadata and automatically rename and move recorded TV episodes.
post #30 of 36 Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Liked: 13
I have been playing with MCEBuddy. I haven't quite found the sweet spot yet. It can certainly rename and move the .WTV files without issue and relative ease.

In regards to transcoding to another format, I have been debating whether it is worth it or not. There are a ton of format options and I haven't found a good guide as how to setup for different scenarios (e.g. ultimate quality vs. streaming quality). I have been playing with the MKV high setting and bumping max resolution width to 1920 to match the original HD show formats. I haven't quite figured out what the quality slider does as, from what I can find, discussion has been fairly esoteric with no visual comparisons. The big issue with my current high quality approach is that it takes about 5 hours to transcode a one hour HD show. I haven't bumped the width down to 720 yet to see the impact on quality, but it is supposed to be closer to an hour process. In the end, transcoding may not be worth it to me as we tend to watch and delete.

I would love to figure out the commercial removal piece. I have tested just running the Comskip as is to automatically remove the commercials. It's OK, but I'm not perfectly comfortable with it. I watched a show last night and some commercials remained. Also, it seemed like some of the show was cut out. I ended up becoming paranoid and switched back to the archived .WTV version. Hopefully there is a more turnkey solution or easier process.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page