Double check my 2nd HTPC build please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I am currently using an old 2008 Macbook Pro as my HTPC attached to a self built unRAID server. I'm getting tired of having issues with the systems and want to build a single system. It will be used to watch 720p and 1080p content, run sickbeard, couchpotato, and SABnzbd. I will use XBMC as my media playing platform of choice. I will be running Windows 7 as the OS.

Case: Silverstone ML03B
CPU: i3-3225
PSU: Reuse my Corsair CX430 from my unRAID box
SSD: Samsung 840
RAM: G.SKILL Value 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
MOBO: ASRock Z77 PRO4-M
HDs: I have 2 working WD Greens that will go in the box. I'd like to buy a 3rd.

How is that looking? I believe everything should fit, but maybe I overlooked something. It should come out to $469.10 after tax not including the replacement drive. I will sell the Macbook and remaining unRAID parts to help fund the new system biggrin.gif

Any other issues I should be aware of with performance or video playback?

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post

Case: Silverstone ML03B

How is that looking? I believe everything should fit, but maybe I overlooked something.

I can't really tell how the case holds 5x 2.5" drives according to their spec sheet. You could definitely find room for an SSD in the case with some adhesive velcro, but I'm not sure that it would hold 3x3.5 and 1x2.5. Someone willing to explain it from experience or the picture would help, but an assumption they extrapolate by reading the spec sheet should probably be ignored. I could be missing something, and it's not necessarily a concern since SSDs don't require traditional case mounting
post #3 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I can't really tell how the case holds 5x 2.5" drives according to their spec sheet. You could definitely find room for an SSD in the case with some adhesive velcro, but I'm not sure that it would hold 3x3.5 and 1x2.5. Someone willing to explain it from experience or the picture would help, but an assumption they extrapolate by reading the spec sheet should probably be ignored. I could be missing something, and it's not necessarily a concern since SSDs don't require traditional case mounting

I was hoping to find some spot to velcro the SSD. Maybe I'm dreaming smile.gif
post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you are having software issues with the systems then going down to one box isn't very likely to help.

You are spending enough that 8GB of memory would make sense. More memory just makes things feel faster.

If your media is expanding then I would suggest getting a bigger case.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

If you are having software issues with the systems then going down to one box isn't very likely to help.

You are spending enough that 8GB of memory would make sense. More memory just makes things feel faster.

If your media is expanding then I would suggest getting a bigger case.

I am having software issues with unRAID. I've had it since March of 2011 and every few months I'll have some issues that cost me a lot of time and frustration. I will no longer be using unRAID in my new setup. I believe that will solve the problem nicely. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. I considered 8 GB, but it seems that's a really divisive issue. People are screaming at each other about it being overkill. I might just go for it since it's really not that much more. Thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I am having software issues with unRAID. I've had it since March of 2011 and every few months I'll have some issues that cost me a lot of time and frustration. I will no longer be using unRAID in my new setup. I believe that will solve the problem nicely. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. I considered 8 GB, but it seems that's a really divisive issue. People are screaming at each other about it being overkill. I might just go for it since it's really not that much more. Thanks!

8GB is overkill for a HTPC. Windows is happy to scale and use more memory though so 8GB will provide a slightly smoother experience. For $20 it's worth it to me.

Unraid has been great for me and if you want help troubleshooting I'd be happy to help but it doesn't sound like you want to do that, so good luck.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

8GB is overkill for a HTPC. Windows is happy to scale and use more memory though so 8GB will provide a slightly smoother experience. For $20 it's worth it to me.

Unraid has been great for me and if you want help troubleshooting I'd be happy to help but it doesn't sound like you want to do that, so good luck.

I'll shoot you a PM about it. I appreciate the offer.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

It would work.

One HDD in the ODD spot, another HDD underneath (on the case floor), and the third would have to be on the plastic mounting bracket at the front of the case.

That would leave room for the SSD in between the PSU and the ODD bracket.

There are mounting hole for all of these locations. In this config, there wouldn't be room for any more drives.

Other than that, why the Z77 platform? You could save some money by going with the H77, or B75 platform. If you are going to overclock, I wouldn't recommend this case.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:

Quote:

I was hoping to find some spot to velcro the SSD. Maybe I'm dreaming smile.gif

There is always room for an SSD in any build wink.gif

Just throw it in there and close the case. lol...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well I went in a bit of a different direction. Here is what I ordered yesterday:

Fractal Design node 304
i3-3225 CPU
ASRock Z77-ITX (mini), which came with
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
Samsung 840 SSD

I decided that I wasn't too concerned about space but enough so that I didn't want a full or mid tower. The room for more drives bubbled to the top as a concern and 6 is more than enough. Going mini ITX was a result of liking the node 304 for its size and drive capacity. The push was being able to get the ASRock board at $150 but getting the equivalent of $50 of RAM included as a special with it from newegg.

I'm excited and I will let you guys know how it goes.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update for anyone who was interested. I built the system as follows:

Fractal Design node 304
i3-3225 CPU
ASRock Z77-ITX (mini-itx)
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
Samsung 840 SSD
3 WD Caviar Greens (one of these was a refurbished RMA I just received)
Corsair CX430 Builder Series power supply I had in my unraid box

I'm running Windows 7 on this with XBMC Frodo and FlexRAID. So far it's running great and above all it is quite fast. I was previously using a slow unraid box/Macbook combo which wasn't up to snuff. Time to sell those things smile.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page