XBMC Stuttering on New SSD Drive Running Windows 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello
I just upgraded my HTPC that was built a few years ago, by adding more RAM, a new video card, and a new solid state drive for speed. When running windows media and recording shows, there is no problem. I watched a few blu-rays through TMT5 with no problem. But now the problem I am coming across is when running XBMC, either streaming shows or movies, in a show I may have 2-3 times where the streaming video and audio will stutter. If you put pause and play, it will fix itself. The only thing I am thinking is that it has to do with the new SSD Drive. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Should I return the SSD drive and return to a normal one?

This is the drive I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JLB6/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I can't imaging how a SSD could be worse than a traditional HDD.  I'd suspect something in your installation, drivers, codecs before the SSD.  Maybe your net is being taxed, or needs a new driver since you say this is happening on streaming.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I installed them on Sunday and I first tried it wireless and yesterday I try it wired, I did not have any issue before the video card , SSD and Ram install. Before I could not use TMT 5 but now I can. I installed the drivers that came with the card I scanned everything in the device manager for updates. I did installed XBMCHUB may be that can be an issue.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
ACHI ???

ACHI ???

ACHI ???

Or did you clone it ??? Messed up the aligment or something?

I am not a fan of the M4 SSD, but it's a fine SSD drive and if you clean install properly it's way faster than a HDD.

Something is Amiss for sure.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

ACHI ???

ACHI ???

ACHI ???

Or did you clone it ??? Messed up the aligment or something?

I am not a fan of the M4 SSD, but it's a fine SSD drive and if you clean install properly it's way faster than a HDD.

Something is Amiss for sure.

No I did not clone the operating system , if that’s what you mean. It was a fresh install . The same disc that I used originally windows 7 pro. tonight I will reinstall XBMC without the XBMCHUB and see if that works. Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Also, if anyone has any experience with the SSD drive, am I just able to install the operating system and not any other programs on it (like XBMC, TMT5, Media Browser, etc.)? Could those other programs be installed in other drives and not in the SSD drive? And would those programs work correctly? I am trying not to install a lot onto the SSD.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
post #8 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Last night I removed XBMC and reinstalled it. I didnt run XBMCHUB. I just installed one add-on. I streamed a full movie without a problem. Because of what I did, I can't try changing the audio output to see if that was the issue. But what I did after the XBMC install was to change the audio output to HDMI and 7.1 and then, towards the bottom changed the audio output device and the pass through that is normally optical to HDMI.

To see if the audio was the original issue, I will try running XBMCHUB tonight and change the audio settings and see if it plays back with no problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Assassin: I see that you build home theater PC's, so do you have any experience with the SSD drive? Am I just able to install the operating system and not any other programs on it (like XBMC, TMT5, Media Browser, etc.)? Could those other programs be installed in other drives and not in the SSD drive? And would those programs work correctly? I am trying not to install a lot onto the SSD.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page