Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 884 Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
But I've bought over 50 in last 24 months for myself, my business, or close friends and family.

I can count on only one hand how many have failed. And those WD green drives got RMA replaced easily. I'm about 20 out of 20 on the Seagate 3TBs... Still. (Fingers crossed)

The drive is either good or bad. Testing it j first just speeds up you knowing about it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 884 Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

But I've bought over 50 in last 24 months for myself, my business, or close friends and family.

I can count on only one hand how many have failed. And those WD green drives got RMA replaced easily. I'm about 20 out of 20 on the Seagate 3TBs... Still. (Fingers crossed)

The drive is either good or bad. Testing it j first just speeds up you knowing about it.

You have been extremely lucky.

And yes, testing does weed out the bad drives from good. So why not test? There's a 14day exchange period in most stores. Testing and finding out the bad drives within that period enables you to exchange it for another drive smile.gif
post #273 of 884 Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I've since used both HDTune (all features for 15 days) and GParted - wow. You were right, there's quite a lot of possibility there. Thank you for the recommendation.

Seatools sucks. That's putting it nicely. If connected to Marvell SATA port it couldn't detect drive serial number or firmware. Reports are horribly inadequate, I presume the testing is the same.

One oddity with the Seagate drive, I'm unable to use Seagate website to look up warranty info, so I'll have to contact them directly.

post #274 of 884 Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Quote:

You have been extremely lucky.

And yes, testing does weed out the bad drives from good. So why not test? There's a 14day exchange period in most stores. Testing and finding out the bad drives within that period enables you to exchange it for another drive smile.gif

I guess I just live dangerously. I buy. I install. I use. I don't bother testing or replacing till it fails or has issues. I just assume it will work because it is suppose to do that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #275 of 884 Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I just live dangerously. I buy. I install. I use. I don't bother testing or replacing till it fails or has issues. I just assume it will work because it is suppose to do that.

Assumption is a dangerous thing. Testing is required to over come the initial failure part of the "bathtub curve". This is a good read
http://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue21/hottopics21.htm
post #276 of 884 Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Assumption is a dangerous thing. Testing is required to over come the initial failure part of the "bathtub curve". This is a good read
http://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue21/hottopics21.htm

Thanks for the share I guess I'm just lucky

-

post #277 of 884 Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

See...that's what I would expect...
It's not even the fact that I don't have the drive...but more the fact that it is not even updated as shipped.

Did you ever get your drive yet ??

-

post #278 of 884 Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 57
nope
Still hanging out there....I have been amazed, this is the worst shipping issue I have ever had with NewEgg. I am very surprised. It finally shows some activity, though. It was in Mississippi yesterday, and finally showed in Charlotte today. I expect to see it Monday or Tuesday. A week and a half later...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #279 of 884 Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Newegg probably just ran out if stock.

I see the sale is running again in the Seagates this week too.

-

post #280 of 884 Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally!
Capacity: 3000GB
Warr. Exp Date: Jun 2015

post #281 of 884 Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally!

Seagate?
post #282 of 884 Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

This review runs the ST4000DM000 through several benchmarks.
Quote:
Looking back through the numbers beginning with HD Tune our Seagate 5900 RPM 4TB Desktop HDD put up a fantastic performance displaying what Seagate OptiCache™ Technology can do to transform the performance of a slow spinning 5900 RPM Drive. The Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD could only be out performed by the 1TB version of Western Digital’s 10,000 Raptor and the 7200 RPM 3TB Seagate Desktop HDD. Our other stand-out performance would have to be ATTO. The Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD with its new OptiCache™ Technology has blistering small file sequential speed. Even the 10,000 RPM 1TB raptor doesn’t have as good of small file performance as the 4TB Desktop HDD. The rest of our benchmarks showed the Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD to have above average performance when compared to the competition.

post #283 of 884 Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I want 4TB WD Red frown.gif
post #284 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seagate?

Yeah...got in on the 115.00 deal...with unbelievably slow shipping from Newegg...
So far, the only thing I have noticed, is that it runs hotter than my WD Green. (About 3-4 degrees)
Ran through GPT format on via WHS, (did not see anything but quick format...) and also full SMART test, so far. Thinking about HDTUNE before I actually start adding files to it.

post #285 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

This review runs the ST4000DM000 through several benchmarks.
Quote:
Looking back through the numbers beginning with HD Tune our Seagate 5900 RPM 4TB Desktop HDD put up a fantastic performance displaying what Seagate OptiCache™ Technology can do to transform the performance of a slow spinning 5900 RPM Drive. The Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD could only be out performed by the 1TB version of Western Digital’s 10,000 Raptor and the 7200 RPM 3TB Seagate Desktop HDD. Our other stand-out performance would have to be ATTO. The Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD with its new OptiCache™ Technology has blistering small file sequential speed. Even the 10,000 RPM 1TB raptor doesn’t have as good of small file performance as the 4TB Desktop HDD. The rest of our benchmarks showed the Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD to have above average performance when compared to the competition.

I enjoyed this read. Thanks for the share. It's impressive the performance but the energy is pretty good too.

It uses less than a WD green at idle. I have seen conflicting reports but consensus is it uses between 5 and 5.5 watts at idle. Considering it's 4TB and using less than a WD GREEN 3TB/2TB I'd say it's a good low energy solution for those interested in such. Of coarse the faster 3TB 7200RPM variant uses almost identical power and performs betters at the same or less cost per TB which confuses the matter.

If your looking for the maximum size and/or energy profile the 4TB makes sense but I still think the 3TB 7200.14 is attractive considering it's so dominant in performance, equal in energy, and often has the lowest cost. Having owned both 5400RPM/5900RPM/7200RPM drives I can say with absolute certainty I favor 7200rpm drives. I wish Seagate made the 4TB in a 7200rpm variety like the 3TB.

I think it's as simple as buy the size you want and pick your poison (3TB or 4TB). I know it's been debated but the move to modern technology 1TB platters seems to be paying off. It appears obvious in both the 7200rpm spindle speed and 5900rpm spindle speed. I am a believer that slowing down the spindle speed is generally not a necessary or appropriate move. If your concerned with energy consumption your far better off buying a modern more efficient design that uses less energy than unnecessarily sacrificing performance for energy savings. Example: 3TB 7200rpm seagate uses basically same energy as 3TB RED/GREEN or 4TB Seagate 5900RPM. I give the 4TB a little more credit because it's 4TB's which in itself can be a benefit, and obviously while the energy per drive is about the same the energy per TB ratio is lower.

Quote:

I want 4TB WD Red frown.gif

Because ???

Quote:

Quote:

Seagate?

Yeah...got in on the 115.00 deal...with unbelievably slow shipping from Newegg...
So far, the only thing I have noticed, is that it runs hotter than my WD Green. (About 3-4 degrees)
Ran through GPT format on via WHS, (did not see anything but quick format...) and also full SMART test, so far. Thinking about HDTUNE before I actually start adding files to it.

Very rare for NewEgg which is usually the king of super faster shipping. I've ordered from then 100 times with excellent results so obviously it's not NewEgg and probably more just that they sold you something they did not have. I'm nearly certain they were waiting on more drives from the MFG to arrive to fullfill your order as opposed to your HDD just sitting some place and not being shipped to you. Some things just are what they are.

Glad you got your drive. biggrin.gif (How many did you buy ?)

Keep SMART off if your smart. It will allow the drive to remain idle instead of pinging it for smart data (and wasting energy and on/off cycles) Once you determine your drive is good if it's sleeping then I'd let it sleep. No sense in waking it up for smart data.

Also,

I am not sure what HDTUNE would do. Are you worried about something with your new drive? Or just curious ?
Here was the review from above posted chart: (it was for the 4TB but also includes the 3TB 7200.14)

Quote:

Finally!

So you got 2 years. In 20 purchases I've never seen anything less. All the hysteria regarding less warranty seems misplaced until I see it happen IMO.
My experience is that most MFG's are great and they are not in the business to "screw you" much against popular (incorrect) opinions.
I'm not sure that's a solid business practice if your a HDD maker. Your goal is to get customer to continue to buy your products, not sell them one bad drive and retire.
I've emailed customer support and got stuff covered a few months past an expired warranty with Seagate before. The RMA process is quite easy and good actually.

-

post #286 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I enjoyed this read. Thanks for the share. It's impressive the performance but the energy is pretty good too.

It uses less than a WD green at idle. I have seen conflicting reports but consensus is it uses between 5 and 5.5 watts at idle. Considering it's 4TB and using less than a WD GREEN 3TB/2TB I'd say it's a good low energy solution for those interested in such. Of coarse the faster 3TB 7200RPM variant uses almost identical power and performs betters at the same or less cost per TB which confuses the matter.

If your looking for the maximum size and/or energy profile the 4TB makes sense but I still think the 3TB 7200.14 is attractive considering it's so dominant in performance, equal in energy, and often has the lowest cost. Having owned both 5400RPM/5900RPM/7200RPM drives I can say with absolute certainty I favor 7200rpm drives. I wish Seagate made the 4TB in a 7200rpm variety like the 3TB.

I think it's as simple as buy the size you want and pick your poison (3TB or 4TB). I know it's been debated but the move to modern technology 1TB platters seems to be paying off. It appears obvious in both the 7200rpm spindle speed and 5900rpm spindle speed. I am a believer that slowing down the spindle speed is generally not a necessary or appropriate move. If your concerned with energy consumption your far better off buying a modern more efficient design that uses less energy than unnecessarily sacrificing performance for energy savings. Example: 3TB 7200rpm seagate uses basically same energy as 3TB RED/GREEN or 4TB Seagate 5900RPM. I give the 4TB a little more credit because it's 4TB's which in itself can be a benefit, and obviously while the energy per drive is about the same the energy per TB ratio is lower.

I was lucky enough to get two of these on sale for $159 each at newegg. I'm pleased. They run about 2 degrees cooler (26C) than the WD Red or Hitachi drive in my system, and performance is almost identical to what is depicted in this review. The only thing that could make this a better purchase, IMO, is a 3 year warranty.

I don't mind the minor speed hit with 5900RPM, I'm more interested in cooler operation. As these large HDD get full I presume there will be a hit to seek time performance, but that's a non-issue with large video or audio files. Even so, I'm guessing I won't be griping about it smile.gif

post #287 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I was lucky enough to get two of these on sale for $159 each at newegg. I'm pleased. They run about 2 degrees cooler (26C) than the WD Red or Hitachi drive in my system, and performance is almost identical to what is depicted in this review. The only thing that could make this a better purchase, IMO, is a 3 year warranty.

I don't mind the minor speed hit with 5900RPM, I'm more interested in cooler operation. As these large HDD get full I presume there will be a hit to seek time performance, but that's a non-issue with large video or audio files. Even so, I'm guessing I won't be griping about it smile.gif

Solid logic biggrin.gif. The thermals of the slower spindle are more attractive and having a single 4TB drive is a great solution for internal storage (like inside a HTPC)

Sometimes I fail to see other view points because I am SSD only HTPC centric in my house, and I use a server chassis (Norco 4220) so cooling is not really a large concern for me. If I was putting this into a small cased HTPC your 100% right on.

The review did a good job showing you the high end speed, the low end speed and the average so you can see in those charts above the performance differential. Much of that comes from reading or writing data on the inside versus outside of the platters and all HDD's behave the same in this regard. The 4TB Seagate is speedy enough (quite speedy in fact) to make this a non issue. Honestly the only reason I personally do not have 4TB in my server is because my current parity drive is only 3TB. I did buy one of these 4TB for my parents HTPC. It's the only drive they have now, replacing two 2TB's previously. (one died)

Congrats on your new drive.

-

post #288 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm just wondering now, but it may make sense to use a 7200RPM equivalent as a parity drive...

post #289 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because???

Because why not? Competition never hurts smile.gif
post #290 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very rare for NewEgg which is usually the king of super faster shipping. I've ordered from then 100 times with excellent results so obviously it's not NewEgg and probably more just that they sold you something they did not have. I'm nearly certain they were waiting on more drives from the MFG to arrive to fullfill your order as opposed to your HDD just sitting some place and not being shipped to you. Some things just are what they are.

Glad you got your drive. biggrin.gif (How many did you buy ?)

Keep SMART off if your smart. It will allow the drive to remain idle instead of pinging it for smart data (and wasting energy and on/off cycles) Once you determine your drive is good if it's sleeping then I'd let it sleep. No sense in waking it up for smart data.

Also,

I am not sure what HDTUNE would do. Are you worried about something with your new drive? Or just curious ?
Here was the review from above posted chart: (it was for the 4TB but also includes the 3TB 7200.14)

I hate to say this about Newegg, but I think they did exactly what some other companies do, for the free shipping. I think it really sat on their docks until they were ready to ship it. I went in to multiple chats while I was waiting for an update, and nobody could tell me that they had not shipped the drive, until that last person on Thursday...
That support person actually told me that it was not due until the 23rd...(4-7 business days, ordered 4.12), and that I needed to wait until that day, before inquiring. I said, "you have to be kidding me...updated as shipped on the 14th", (Sunday) and no detailed update since until Friday morning the 19th. Up to that point, they were blaming FedEx for not updating the claim.
Only bought one drive.
Uhhh...It's installed in a WHS array, with SMART as part of the dashboard. (add-in). not sure if I can turn it off...

I was just running stress tests, per the previous discussion here and the other thread. The original drive in my server was a Seagate 250, that developed bad sectors after a couple months...it was my OS drive, so it was kind of a pain.

post #291 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm just wondering now, but it may make sense to use a 7200RPM equivalent as a parity drive...

Are you talking about Flexraid ? If so I had a post today about this subject in my server thread. I'm using a 3TB WD green currently.

I've been meaning to swap it out for a while now as I have a 7200.14 Seagate ready to go in.

-

post #292 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Yep. I'm going to use one of the Seagate 5900RPM for now, was really just thinking out loud. I hope I have enough storage to last me for awhile.

I started reading the rebuild thread, learning more as I go, but decided it really needs more dedicated time from me, and maybe a gin and tonic.

post #293 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Those 5900rpm Seagates are not your traditional 5400rpm drive. In pure speed they hang with with 7200rpm drives and considerably better performers than a "green" drive from yesteryear.

It's faster than my 3TB green WD I am using by almost double. And my slow drive works fine if you don't mind parity initialization taking overnight.

Usually choosing a parity is a simple as choosing your largest HDD. 4TB makes sense today.

-

post #294 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I want a 4TB drive with 3 years warranty.
post #295 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd rather a two year warranty on a drive that last 5 years than a 3 year warranty on a drive that's lasts 2 years...

-

post #296 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
t-c

Liked: 16
lol, warranties don't matter.
post #297 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

But it does. It's an indication of the manufacturer's confidence in its products.

Mfusick, if you are referring to green drives, they come with 2 years warranty. Them lasting 2 years is expected ^_^
post #298 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
t-c

The quality technical discussion that has been a hallmark of this forum has vanished and has been replaced by debate for the sake of debate from a few super-wordy posters.

No Science left in AVS.

btw this is not in reply to your post @amarshonarbangla
post #299 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

btw this is not in reply to your post @amarshonarbangla

Phew
post #300 of 884 Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 PM
t-c

Product warranties don't; matter? That's BS.
Reply Home Theater Computers