Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 884 Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I am so going home tonight and taking all the WD Greens out of my server.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 884 Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A 2TB green drive is bottlenecking my FlexRAID pool. I need to upgrade that to a 7200RPM 3TB drive or this.
post #93 of 884 Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So this 7200 RPM Barracuda drive in today's MicroCenter ad - $139 for 3TB - is a good deal then, huh? I don't care about green.
post #94 of 884 Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 314
post #95 of 884 Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Every green drive I've used has been total crap and eventually died. Mfusick is right, load them up with some data and the perf drops like a rock.
post #96 of 884 Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
dpn

Liked: 11
I am certainly no expert and I have experience with ONE WD Caviar GREEN drive 2 TB. I bought it in early Jan. 2013 and it failed before mid Feb. 2013. I did get a replacement within 2 days, but we'll see...

I now have a 2TB WD Green, a 3 TB Seagate, a 4 TB Seagate, and a 4 TB WD.

May the best drive win, but I'm using SyncToy to be sure I don't lose everything again...

David
post #97 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
You'll find anecdotal evidence to support any kind of brand on the internet, and sometimes some crazy people make it their mission to ensure everyone considers their own personal experience to be absolute truth.

I have a whole server full of green drives, and over all the years the only problem i had was one drive which was DOA (got a replacement from the vendor immediately).
The performance is fine, considering they are not high-performance drives, and not meant to be. They can do consistent 90MB/s in my setup, plenty speed for some media storage.

Maybe today i would buy other drives, the market changes over time, prices adjust, new models appear, but i would certainly not replace all my green drives just because some troll on some forums claims they suck - but i'm also not tied to any brand for future upgrades.

PS:
For everyone praising on Seagate, remember that horrible firmware issue in 7200.11 which frequently completely bricked the drive?
I'm just saying that no company is any better, and everyone has a history of some problems.

PPS:
The beauty of FlexRAID is that one drive cannot bottle-neck your pool (unless you go realtime raid and have that slow drive as parity) - otherwise it may be slower when you read files which are on that disc, but it will NOT slow down any other discs, which would be considered "bottlenecking".
post #98 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You'll find anecdotal evidence to support any kind of brand on the internet, and sometimes some crazy people make it their mission to ensure everyone considers their own personal experience to be absolute truth.

I have a whole server full of green drives, and over all the years the only problem i had was one drive which was DOA (got a replacement from the vendor immediately).
The performance is fine, considering they are not high-performance drives, and not meant to be. They can do consistent 90MB/s in my setup, plenty speed for some media storage.

Maybe today i would buy other drives, the market changes over time, prices adjust, new models appear, but i would certainly not replace all my green drives just because some troll on some forums claims they suck - but i'm also not tied to any brand for future upgrades.

PS:
For everyone praising on Seagate, remember that horrible firmware issue in 7200.11 which frequently completely bricked the drive?
I'm just saying that no company is any better, and everyone has a history of some problems.

PPS:
The beauty of FlexRAID is that one drive cannot bottle-neck your pool (unless you go realtime raid and have that slow drive as parity) - otherwise it may be slower when you read files which are on that disc, but it will NOT slow down any other discs, which would be considered "bottlenecking".

I agree 100%. ^

couple points:

I don't care if people buy green drives or not. I have no extensive personal hate or motivation. I own 6 now still and I'm generally happy with them. I wouldn't buy more today though.

I just took more offense to the creation of this thread and original intent to show the green being the same or as good as the Seagate. It's clearly not. It's not as affordable. It's not as fast. And it is not as reliable. It also is not recommended for use in a server by mfg.

My only real motivation was to open some eyes around here that this is not 2010 anymore. It's time for the reality of green drives to set in. They are simply basic low power HDDs that are appropriate for basic storage. Nothing more. They are suspect in reliability at times and in certain applications possibly; Often not a good value anymore.

For you or I or Assassin or Stardog who boult servers back in the day before we really knew the truth about these drives doesn't mean we need to upgrade or anything is wrong. I have a 3TB green for my parity drive right now smile.gif

But flip side is there is no point in excessively defending or promoting green beyond a reasonable reality either.

I think you do a good job of being impartial.

And your right all mfgs can have good or bad models. It's going to change as new models come out or disappear. It's all relative.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #99 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I can remember Seagates being a problem all the way back to the old ST-225 20MB MFM drives. Those things would get "sticktion" and you'd have to bang on them to get them to start. Get 4 of them in one enclosure they get pretty darn loud, too. Those were the days.

I'm pretty nervous thinking about going with a Seagate again, but I am going to give them a shot.
post #100 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Silly^

So much changes so fast in pc technology that the past has nearly zero effect or predictive factor on the future.

Seagates troubles many years ago were not even in the same ballpark we are today. Too much has changed.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #101 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

A 2TB green drive is bottlenecking my FlexRAID pool. I need to upgrade that to a 7200RPM 3TB drive or this.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/seagate_now_shipping_worlds_first_4tb_hard_drive_1tb_platters2013

-

post #102 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Silly^

So much changes so fast in pc technology that the past has nearly zero effect or predictive factor on the future.

Seagates troubles many years ago were not even in the same ballpark we are today. Too much has changed.

Silly is my middle name. smile.gif

But I've had my fair share with Seagates since then. But, I've had my fair share of problems with all brands. Pretty much a crap shoot, IMO.

I still know people that won't buy Toshiba/Hitachi/IBM drives because of the so-called Deskstar issues. I never had any trouble with them at all.
post #103 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

For you or I or Assassin or Stardog who boult servers back in the day before we really knew the truth about these drives doesn't mean we need to upgrade or anything is wrong. I have a 3TB green for my parity drive right now smile.gif

Knock on wood but my green drives have all been fine. I get 90MB/s transfer speeds for large MKVs over the network. I infrequently copy from place to place though. I am happy with it. My Samsung 2TB and Seagate 1TB and 2TB have also been solid. I have two 3TB Seagate black Friday specials sitting waiting to go in. I will be replacing the WD greens only because those are the smallest drives in the system. They will become backup drives in enclosures for storing off-site.

Besides that...

I've got a pile of WD 40GB drives pulled from a school's PCs that all still work.

I have MicroCenter SSDs and Kingston SSDs that work -- even being used with WMC with the recording buffer on them -- 2 years+ now.

I have Biostar and ECS motherboards that just work.

I have Rosewill SFX power supplies that work.

I have plenty of ASRock FM2A75M-ITX motherboards that don't work.

But I am not saying anyone should or should not use anything (except the FM2A75M-ITX v1.0 -- don't use that) by saying these. I am just putting my personal experience out there -- another data point. Maybe that along with other research can help folks decide. I have my favorites and will share what they are but don't ever mean to imply they are the end-all and be-all. It's just what works for me. Take it or leave it.

post #104 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The last time I said all of my green drives were fine, one died.

All hard drives have a limited life it's just a matter of how lucky you are with how long they live.
post #105 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Are you calling all the people that just shared their experiences trolls? Pretty rude of you, considering most here don't have an agenda and are just sharing their own personal experiences in an attempt to help others out.

While I have been reluctant to buy Seagate drives because of the 7200.11 issues, generally speaking, their drives as a whole have been more reliable for me than WD drives. People can take that for what it is, one man's experience, so no trolling here despite what some rude people may suggest. Most on here have no vested interest in what others buy and are here to help others out by sharing their experiences. Last I checked, that is one of the reasons people visit forums after all.
post #106 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have a WD 1.5TB Green drive that's been going strong for a number of years now.
post #107 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Silly^

True, but it is only natural for people to feel that way. People's data is important to them, and I think it is rather common for people to shy away from manufacturers that they have problems with considering the importance of the role said device has. That doesn't necessarily mean it is rational, or that others should do the same, but it is valid none the less to stick with what makes them feel most comfortable using.
post #108 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I still know people that won't buy Toshiba/Hitachi/IBM drives because of the so-called Deskstar issues. I never had any trouble with them at all.

I can't remember when the Deskstar issue occurred, but it took me quite a while to buy another drive even after Hitachi bought IBM's storage devision. I have been happy with the Hitachi drives I have purchased since then.

Other than a few exceptions, most drives will be more reliable than not even with the drives that have the highest failure rates. It still would be interesting to see what each manufacturers return rate is.
post #109 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

See what I mean? Between our servers and all our desktops we had at the company I worked for at the time, we must have had 350+ of those IBM hard drives. Never had a single failure. I still have some of them here and would not hesitate to use them, if they were not so slow compared to what we have today.

One of the worst hard drives I remember from that era was the Quantum Bigfoot. I know someone that has one that still runs. I bet we lost 70% or more of them. They were the drive that came in the Compaq desktops back then.
post #110 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Silly^

Very true. HDD reliability can change week to week based on manufacturing conditions. I've had so many different drives and I've had fairly good luck with all of them. I have had a couple WD Greens die early deaths though. Your best bet is to buy enterprise drives like the WD RE4's... but they are incredibly expensive.

Side note... did Seagate kill off the Baracuda name? Up until about a week ago they had two 3/4TB drives listed. The Baracuda and the HDD.15. Now it's just the HDD.15.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #111 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

One of the worst hard drives I remember from that era was the Quantum Bigfoot. I know someone that has one that still runs. I bet we lost 70% or more of them. They were the drive that came in the Compaq desktops back then.

Oh man, those bigfoot drives were terrible in every way. Big, heavy, slow, and unreliable. In my time, which dates back to the 200MB drives, I would say those are easily the worst drives ever made. Most of the store bought computers were made with those when they first came out, because they were cheap.
post #112 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

My first hard drive was a Rodime 5 1/4" full height 10MB drive. There's no way I can count or list all the drives I've owned. The Quantum Bigfoot is the worst drive I've ever experienced. I am floored I know someone that still has one running. I think maybe the second worst drives I've experienced were Maxtors, at least as far as personal drives go. About the same time we were having good luck with the Deskstars, we had tons of failures on some older 4GB Samsungs. They were terrible. Go up to 2007-2008 and the Samsungs are highly recommended.
post #113 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
post #114 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I raise you:

$79 shipped. No tax. U MAD?

$80 for 3TB is $26.66 per TB. For that price 1 platter or 50 platters I care not.... biggrin.gif

-

post #115 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Knock on wood but my green drives have all been fine. I get 90MB/s transfer speeds for large MKVs over the network. I infrequently copy from place to place though. I am happy with it. My Samsung 2TB and Seagate 1TB and 2TB have also been solid. I have two 3TB Seagate black Friday specials sitting waiting to go in. I will be replacing the WD greens only because those are the smallest drives in the system. They will become backup drives in enclosures for storing off-site.

Knock on wood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Besides that...

I've got a pile of WD 40GB drives pulled from a school's PCs that all still work.

I have MicroCenter SSDs and Kingston SSDs that work -- even being used with WMC with the recording buffer on them -- 2 years+ now.

I have Biostar and ECS motherboards that just work.

I have Rosewill SFX power supplies that work.

I have plenty of ASRock FM2A75M-ITX motherboards that don't work.

But I am not saying anyone should or should not use anything (except the FM2A75M-ITX v1.0 -- don't use that) by saying these. I am just putting my personal experience out there -- another data point. Maybe that along with other research can help folks decide. I have my favorites and will share what they are but don't ever mean to imply they are the end-all and be-all. It's just what works for me. Take it or leave it.

I'm in your boat. I have tons of OCZ SSD's that just work wink.gif Popular theory on those is ten times more negative than any WD drive (even though WD greens have higher failure rates today)

-

post #116 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

The last time I said all of my green drives were fine, one died.

All hard drives have a limited life it's just a matter of how lucky you are with how long they live.

Agree more than 100% times another 20000% (that's a lot)

-

post #117 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

I have a WD 1.5TB Green drive that's been going strong for a number of years now.

That is normal and to be expected. I'd expect any HDD from any MFG to work for 1.5 years + without issue. That is "normal"

I own Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba and WD all over 1 year old or more and all working great.

-

post #118 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I raise you:

$79 shipped. No tax. U MAD?

$80 for 3TB is $26.66 per TB. For that price 1 platter or 50 platters I care not.... biggrin.gif

Where did you get the coupon code? The one you posted is a one-time use coupon, so I'd have to get another one generated.
post #119 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have tons of OCZ SSD's that just work wink.gif Popular theory on those is ten times more negative than any WD drive (even though WD greens have higher failure rates today)

One of my OCZs has failed 3 times, one has been rock solid.
post #120 of 884 Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I raise you:

Where did you get the coupon code? The one you posted is a one-time use coupon, so I'd have to get another one generated.

OMG!

You were going to steal my coupon code ??? tongue.gif

I got one of them in the mail. I get them all the time at my office. All you need is an account with staples you get them all the time.

This one ^ is the one I just used today. About 15 minutes ago. Yup it is one time use.

You can buy them online at coupon sites. A few bucks... for $25 off is still worth it.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page