post #451 of 578 Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoroeyes View Post

Now I expect I've not set something right, but I'm clueless to what.
It's pretty simple, unfortunately.

OpenELEC has not (yet) caught up with the latest greatest hardware of the Haswell NUCs so there are numerous "issues," including some with the Intel supplied Linux drivers. These will be fixed in time, but that does nothing for any of us in the interim. The developers are waiting for Intel for some fixes while working on others with XBMC and Linux.

You are ahead of me as I have the i3 Haswell NUC and I can't even get OpenELEC to install (it runs awesome on my Celeron 847 NUC.)

FWIW, the "nightly" developer builds of OpenELEC 4.0 (release date TBA) can now be loaded on the Haswell NUCs which is progress since they always crashed upon startup a few days ago. If you want to play with them they are available for download, but they are "alpha" versions (at best) and have enough quirks that I would never recommend them to anybody for actual HTPC use.

Progress is being made, the timeline for success is unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 578 Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoroeyes View Post

The interface runs superfast as you'd expect but the same files that I've happily been playing on my WD TV Live for the past 2 years (either over gigabit lan or usb) cause the NUC to stutter to the point when it looks like the video has pause (1 or 2 fps).

Now I expect I've not set something right, but I'm clueless to what.

Anyone got any suggestions, I'm seriously gutted at the moment.

Try changing the following settings

Settings -> Video -> Playback
  • Render Method - Auto
  • Allow Hardware Acceleration (VAAPI) - OFF
  • Adjust display refresh rate to match video - OFF
  • Sync playback to display - OFF

During video playback press "c" and choose video settings
  • Deinterlace video - ON
  • Deinterlace method - AUTO SELECT
  • Video Scaling method - VAAPI

Not sure if that last video scaling method is correct (VAAPI) it may say HW Accelerated instead. You can also choose the safer route and just select software. Then "apply to all videos"
post #453 of 578 Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys, good suggestions which I'll most definitely have a look at.

In the meantime, I got a reply off the xbmc forum from Fritsch which suggested it may be audio related (I'm testing on a monitor with no sound but had the audio setup as per my lounge setup i.e. audio over hdmi to a fully fledged recevier).

He recommended disabling all audio codec and going back to 2.0, which I did and this solved the video stuttering, but I am yet to see why, or whether it'll just come back when I swithc it all back on and plug it inito my receiver?

How are you other Haswell NUC owners getting on?

Cheers
post #454 of 578 Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I don't know if this will help... on my old htpc, before I switched to the celeron nuc, I would get video problems when selecting anything other than 2.0 audio in xbmc. Turns out it didn't matter though, since I was using hdmi and passing thru the audio signal undecoded to my avr. So even though I had to set xbmc to 2.0, that setting seems to be overridden by selecting hdmi passthru, and I still got all channels to my avr.
post #455 of 578 Old 12-02-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I've been thinking about getting one of these little guys for a while now, but just didn't have the cash to pull the trigger on it. I saw several ads during Black Friday that offered a small discount, but not enough to entice me into bitting the bullet. I decided to check ebay and spotted a used one in mint condition just like the i3 model that Assassin originally reviewed at the beginning of this thread. I wanted an i3 model and not a Celeron and the price was decent enough to get me to take the bait, so I jumped on it. It should arrive before the end of the week.

My one question at this time is, are there any memory compatibility issues with the i3-DC3217IYE? I purchased a used Samsung 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800S SO-DIMM on ebay and want to make sure it's going to work OK with the NUC. I usually like to get memory that has been tested to work with any given motherboard, but the only memory I found from Intel's list of tested SO-DIMMS is about $100 for 8GB, although I think Newegg has some for about $80. I don't think I'll need more than 4GB since this will be used as a satellite HTPC running WMC and XBMC and no extenders attached.
post #456 of 578 Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

My one question at this time is, are there any memory compatibility issues with the i3-DC3217IYE? I purchased a used Samsung 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800S SO-DIMM on ebay and want to make sure it's going to work OK with the NUC. I usually like to get memory that has been tested to work with any given motherboard, but the only memory I found from Intel's list of tested SO-DIMMS is about $100 for 8GB, although I think Newegg has some for about $80. I don't think I'll need more than 4GB since this will be used as a satellite HTPC running WMC and XBMC and no extenders attached.

When I first got the NUC, I used 1333 mHz memory because it was a bit cheaper and my operating system was crashing every 30 minutes (tried 3 different brands). I thought the NUC was defective so I sent to Intel for repair. After I got it back from them, the system crashing was happening again. I even tried a different mSata SSD and the results were the same. The last thing that I had left to try was get some 1600 mHz memory and that solved the issue. No more crashing since I swapped the memory.
My operating system is Windows 8.
post #457 of 578 Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

When I first got the NUC, I used 1333 mHz memory because it was a bit cheaper and my operating system was crashing every 30 minutes (tried 3 different brands). I thought the NUC was defective so I sent to Intel for repair. After I got it back from them, the system crashing was happening again. I even tried a different mSata SSD and the results were the same. The last thing that I had left to try was get some 1600 mHz memory and that solved the issue. No more crashing since I swapped the memory.
My operating system is Windows 8.

It would be helpful if could identify the manufacturer and model of the memory you tried before. At a minimum the manufacturer and voltage would be helpful

Just because the particular ddr3-1333 sticks you were using had issues doesn't indicate anything
post #458 of 578 Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
PNY, Crucial, and Hynix. All were 1.5 volt.
The 1600 mHz memory that works is Corsair Vengeance 1.5 volt.
post #459 of 578 Old 12-05-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had any success using 1.35V PC3-12800 DDR3 SO-DIMMS? Newegg has a great deal on 8GB (2x4GB) of GSkill Ripjaws laptop memory that runs at 1.35V:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231703&Tpk=F3-1600C9D-8GRSL
post #460 of 578 Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 12
New NUCs coming with a 2.5" drive bay.

http://liliputing.com/2013/12/intel-updating-nuc-mini-desktops-with-a-2-5-inch-drive-bay.html
post #461 of 578 Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR View Post

New NUCs coming with a 2.5" drive bay.

http://liliputing.com/2013/12/intel-updating-nuc-mini-desktops-with-a-2-5-inch-drive-bay.html
That was announced quite a while ago.

On another note, what ethernet adapters are being used for the BOXDC3217BY NUC with the Thunderbolt port? I discovered that there are drivers available for the Apple Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter and was wondering if anyone's using this setup with their NUC?
post #462 of 578 Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sorry if I've missed this in the thread, but has anyone picked up the D54250WYK kit and tried 3D blu ray .iso playback using PDVD 13? I'm just looking into replacing my existing HTPC with a NUC if it can handle the stream from my network storage (I'm on Win7 x64). Any comments would be appreciated smile.gif

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #463 of 578 Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Has anyone had any success using 1.35V PC3-12800 DDR3 SO-DIMMS? Newegg has a great deal on 8GB (2x4GB) of GSkill Ripjaws laptop memory that runs at 1.35V:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231703&Tpk=F3-1600C9D-8GRSL

I just slapped that memory into my newly arrived NUC last night and it worked flawlessly. It's not on the Intel approved list, but it seems fine so far.

post #464 of 578 Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago and it appears to be working fine in my NUC. Nobody was responding to the post so I decided to jump on it since it was too good of a deal to pass up. Looks like I made the right choice.
post #465 of 578 Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I setup my i5 nuc this weekend with windows 7 64 bit but I'm having issues. Not sure why but I'm missing a bunch of drivers. I had to get the nic driver via another pc, and there are various other drivers missing according to device manager. The system has spontaneously rebooted or blue screened on me several times in just a few hours of use. I'm thinking maybe (probably?) the missing drivers is causing this. So I'll need to find the proper drivers and install, I think from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23378&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=

Just wondering if anyone has had this rebooting problem with a nuc.
post #466 of 578 Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded my drivers individually rather than getting the bundled zip file and I had no problems getting mine set up. I've got the older 3217 i3 version using Win 7 64-bit and I've had no such issues. I'd also make sure you have the latest BIOS to be on the safe side. Just make sure you've installed all of the drivers in cluded in the package.
post #467 of 578 Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

I installed the nuc drivers and bios and thought I was good to go. Then a few minutes later, for no reason, it just suddenly shut down again. Not blue screen, just off. Now I'm getting worried that I got a lemon, might need to return. Not sure what else to try. This thing has been very unstable. Often when it boots, it doesn't finish and restarts the boot process. Very unlike my celeron nuc, that one has been a champ from the very first boot. Any ideas? thanks
post #468 of 578 Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a power issue, like someone pulled the plug or something is making intermittent contact. Check the power cable, power pack, DC plug and jack and make sure everything is tight and making proper contact. Take a close look at the power jack soldered to the NUC mainboard and see if there are any cold solder joints. If you can get your hands on a compatible power supply I'd try that and see if it works. The NUC power supply is probably the same as ones used by most laptop manufacturers. Doublecheck the specs on the power brick label and make sure they're the same before plugging one into the NUC.
post #469 of 578 Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got my 2nd NUC delivered today. I wasn't expecting it until Friday so it was a pleasant surprise. I was trying to figure out the easiest way to install everything on the 2nd NUC as going through all of the Windows updates and software installation is a bit time consuming. The two NUCs are different models (the 1st is a DC3217IYE and the 2nd is a DC3217BY). The main difference is that the IYE has two HDMI ports and an ethernet jack whereas the BY has the Thunderbolt port, a single HDMI output, and no ethernet.

Looking at the drivers required for each model I discovered that they were both identical. With that in mind I started looking into various ways to clone the drive of the 1st NUC to the new drive for the 2nd unit. I didn't have any special adapters that could accommodate the mSATA drive so I had to get creative. The solution turned out to be quite simple. I looked at the Windows Backup and Restore feature in Windows 7 and discovered that I could create a complete image of the drive. I had never actually tried Windows Backup before so I wasn't aware it had that feature.

I had the power supply and SATA interface module from an external Seagate drive I bought a while back that I used in my unRAID server. It was just a matter of plugging the drive into one of the USB ports and pointing to it as the location for storing the backup image. I also had to create a repair disk using a portable DVD burner. All of these things required more USB ports than were available on the NUC so I used an external powered USB hub to connect the mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, and DVD burner, which required two ports by itself.

My original plan was to create the image and replace the mSATA drive in the IYE with the new drive and then restore the image. Since my 2nd NUC arrived I was able to restore the image to the 2nd NUC directly. I had no idea what the actual process was to restore the image so I did a basic install of Windows 7 onto the 2nd NUC, thinking it needed to see a Windows install before it could restore it. I also installed all of the drivers. When I ran the restore process, I found out that it wiped the drive and reformatted it from scratch prior to loading the image, so I could have used just the bare drive without going through the Windows install.

When the restore process completed after about 15 minutes, I installed the Thunderbolt ethernet drivers for the adapter I had purchased. I had already updated the BIOS right after installing Windows and prior to restoring the image. I had updated the BIOS on the IYE NUC during the original install process. As soon as my son finds the Lenovo 5902 keyboard/trackball remote he hid in his room I'll be able to complete the setup tomorrow evening.
post #470 of 578 Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM

post #471 of 578 Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
post #472 of 578 Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Liked: 11
what is better for xbmc
this model Intel NUC Kit DC53427HYE
or

Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Intel HD Graphics 5000 NUC Kit

thanks
post #473 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Either model would work fine. In fact, you could use one of the i3 Haswells and still get great performance with XBMC. I have two of the previous generation i3 NUCs and they work great with XBMC.
post #474 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM

Captain,

I was thinking about getting the red thunderbolt 1st gen version (BOXDC3217BY) of the NUC ($160 vs $250)... which ethernet adapter did you use, the Apple one? How is the performance?

Graeme B Davis
post #475 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Hi all:

I was considering picking one of these up to replace my PCH A400, but I figured I'd ask this question first:

I built my new dtop about 6 weeks ago:

Intel 4770k
16 GIGs of RIP JAWS ARES 1866 RAM
128 GIG Vector SSD
20 TB Flexraid

Very simply:

Can I run TWO separate XBMC's off this?

Meaning one I can control to use with my monitor in one room and then a separate install/version to run in my living room?

If this question is goofy, I apologize. It would appear to me that it comes down to being able to (perhaps?) run TWO xbmc installs (which may or may not be possible) and then having the horsepower to get it done...maybe?

But then I consider control issues and the like...

But I'll stop before I potentially waste anymore time.

thanks!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #476 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Hi all:

I was considering picking one of these up to replace my PCH A400, but I figured I'd ask this question first:

I built my new dtop about 6 weeks ago:

Intel 4770k
16 GIGs of RIP JAWS ARES 1866 RAM
128 GIG Vector SSD
20 TB Flexraid

Very simply:

Can I run TWO separate XBMC's off this?

It's possible -- does your motherboard support VT-d? Your CPU does..

Graeme B Davis
post #477 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomertsfx View Post

It's possible -- does your motherboard support VT-d? Your CPU does..

Unfortunately the "K" series does not support VT-d.
post #478 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

^ funny, right when I thought I had a top-end or near top end cpu that would be capable of such a feat. lol.

James

post #479 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomertsfx View Post

Captain,

I was thinking about getting the red thunderbolt 1st gen version (BOXDC3217BY) of the NUC ($160 vs $250)... which ethernet adapter did you use, the Apple one? How is the performance?
Yes, it's the Apple adapter. I haven't seen another one. My son uses that NUC in his bedroom and so far I haven't gotten any complaints. I have a feeling that a USB 2.0 gigabit adapter would probably work just as well. The main reason I went with the Thunderbolt adapter was because I didn;t want to sacrifice a USB port. I was already using two for the IR receiver and the Lenovo 5902 dongle. OTOH, I ended up using an external USB hub so I now have five extra ports.
post #480 of 578 Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

So then if it's advisable to go with the i3 version, I need a thumb drive to run openelec and I'm done?

But then I need another keyboard and an IR adapter to run with my Harmony One?

Here we go, a $300+ media player...I mean a FOUR HUNDRED dollar media player???

I understand this would be the primary HTPC for most but for someone like me just looking to run another xbmc, pretty dumb, right?

James

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page