HD PVR 2 1512 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
You also have to remember that the device isn't converting directly from a compressed 15Mbps cable stream to a 16Mbps capture. This isn't simple transcoding. The signal is being decompressed from that 15Mbps cable signal to a ~6Gbps (uncompressed) 1080i60 video signal for transmission over HDMI/Component. Then it is being re-encoded by the capture device, compressing it down to ~16Mbps video stream. Poor quality in the original video stream doesn't make the capture any less lossy than if the quality of the original stream had been good. Whether or not we are more forgiving of that loss of quality when we already had poor quality to begin with is another matter, but the capture is just as lossy either way.
While you are mostly correct, lower quality sources do tend to require less bits to encode them properly, because existing prior compression creates certain patterns in the image that are easier to recompress than uncompressed video. However, the efficiency is not a 1:1 ratio, so just because a source might have half the bitrate of another source, does not mean you only need half the bitrate to encode it. Far from the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do we really need the tray tool loading up at windows startup?

I'm pretty sure we don't but I just wanted to make sure before I take it out.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
Do we really need the tray tool loading up at windows startup?
I'm pretty sure we don't but I just wanted to make sure before I take it out.
I disabled it.. Everything still works.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

I think the tray tool is just so that if you press the button on the actual device, it'll load up HC and start recording automatically
Old 03-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Then I'll remove it..thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Does anybody know of any capture devices that allow better bitrate than the HD PVR 2 (like 18mbps+), but also supports 5.1 Dolby Digital capture like the HD PVR 2? Everything I find seems to be limited to stereo. How is surround sound support so rare? The HD PVR Rocket looked tempting but it too is limited to stereo.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Does anybody know of any capture devices that allow better bitrate than the HD PVR 2 (like 18mbps+), but also supports 5.1 Dolby Digital capture like the HD PVR 2? Everything I find seems to be limited to stereo. How is surround sound support so rare? The HD PVR Rocket looked tempting but it too is limited to stereo.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Afaik, the HD PVR, Colossus, HD PVR 2, and Colossus 2 are the only capture devices that support AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) capture. Every other sub-$300 capture device is limited to stereo audio. In fact, even the more expensive capture devices lack support for AC3. However, some of the $1k+ capture devices do support 8 or even 16 channel PCM audio. You would need licensed software to recompress the audio using whatever multichannel audio codec you want, though. 8 channel uncompressed PCM audio requires a sizable amount of space/bandwidth.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Afaik, the HD PVR, Colossus, HD PVR 2, and Colossus 2 are the only capture devices that support AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) capture. Every other sub-$300 capture device is limited to stereo audio. In fact, even the more expensive capture devices lack support for AC3. However, some of the $1k+ capture devices do support 8 or even 16 channel PCM audio. You would need licensed software to recompress the audio using whatever multichannel audio codec you want, though. 8 channel uncompressed PCM audio requires a sizable amount of space/bandwidth.
I wouldn't be too bothered about capturing in LPCM or even DTS, but no way I'm paying $1k for a capture device, lol. I just find it absolutely perplexing that the consumer devices seem to have abandoned surround sound support. So stupid.

I love the HD PVR 2 for the most part, I just wish it had support for higher bitrates. Sometimes 14mbps, even with VBR, just doesn't cut it. Wish there was a way to hack into these machines or the firmware/software and change their bitrate constraints or something.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been following this thread and it is many, many times more useful than the official Hauppauge forum and support site. I have a simple question that the Hauppauge people are apparently too important to answer, and I hope someone here can help me.

I use my HD PVR2 1512 only for recording (streaming) video and it seems to work reasonably well for that, though there are occasional quirks. Recently I updated the drivers and discovered the new Skipback function but I have been unable to find any information about how this actually works and Hauppauge isn’t offering any help. It seems to make large numbers of random files about 2-3 minutes in length regardless of the switch setting and the time setting also seems to have no effect. So is it buggy or is this how it is supposed to work? I cannot get a simple answer from Hauppauge. If this is how it is supposed to work, what is the point? What is it actually supposed to do?

I received WinTV 7 with the device and played around with it, but I don’t use it and I uninstalled it. My streaming PC is the same one the HD PVR2 is installed on, and I have found that the capture function on it works best for my needs. I have been able to automate this with Windows shortcuts and I do not use the recording switch. I am just wondering if the Skipback can actually be used with Capture for anything useful, like recording something I have been watching after the fact, or whether it is better to go back to an earlier driver that does not have it. I don’t really need all the accumulating short files it creates. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have an HD PVR 2 that I cannot seem to get working with 5.1 audio only stereo over HDMI. I'm inputting the HDMI output from my Roku to the PVR2. What settings should I use for a 5.1 audio recording ?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominical View Post
I have an HD PVR 2 that I cannot seem to get working with 5.1 audio only stereo over HDMI. I'm inputting the HDMI output from my Roku to the PVR2. What settings should I use for a 5.1 audio recording ?
Check page 14 for a discussion about that. Keyword - Dolby Digital Plus
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
Check page 14 for a discussion about that. Keyword - Dolby Digital Plus
So I need one of these to convert the DD+ to AC3 and did anyone find one cheaper ?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Do I have this correct that you just put the HDMI switcher in between the ROKU HDMI out and the PVR2 HDMI input and the HDMI switcher converts the DD+ stream into AC3 stream via the optical hdmi switcher output and you use the SPDIF optical input on the PVR 2 ? If so what audio settings do you select on the PRR2 setup menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVR2 setup.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1389658   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVR2 audio setup.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1389666  

Last edited by dominical; 04-19-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
So I need one of these to convert the DD+ to AC3 and did anyone find one cheaper ?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Do I have this correct that you just put the HDMI switcher in between the ROKU HDMI out and the PVR2 HDMI input and the HDMI switcher converts the DD+ stream into AC3 stream via the optical hdmi switcher output and you use the SPDIF optical input on the PVR 2 ? If so what audio settings do you select on the PRR2 setup menu.
Your issue isn't with the PVR. You need to set your output audio to DD and not DD+.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Old 04-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
Your issue isn't with the PVR. You need to set your output audio to DD and not DD+.

It depends upon what he's streaming; on Netflix you aren't given the choice between DD and DD+, just between stereo and DD+.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
Quote:

It depends upon what he's streaming; on Netflix you aren't given the choice between DD and DD+, just between stereo and DD+.
It's not about the source. It's about the device.

The Roku gives you the choice of outputting DD+ or plain DD, regardless of source
Old 04-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not about the source. It's about the device.

The Roku gives you the choice of outputting DD+ or plain DD, regardless of source

Roku may give you the option but it's not respected in Netflix. Having owned 3 Rokus, it's an empirical fact that Netflix streamed over the Roku will only deliver a choice between stereo and DD+, regardless of the 'audio' setting in the Roku. Roku doesn't transcode DD+ to DD. This has been recounted over and over again on this forum and the Roku forum where many members have pleaded with Roku to do the transcode. Why do you think this has become such an issue for many PVR1512 forum members? Why don't you try it yourself.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

What about on PS3? That has a choice for both as well at the system level.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 PM

My Monoprice HDMI switcher should arrives tomorrow so what switch combination should I use to output a 5,1 AC3 audio stream from my Roku 2 via SPDIF that I can record via the HD PVR 2 ?

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Monoprice switcher selection.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1397074  

Last edited by dominical; 04-21-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

umm, you can capture AC3 over HDMI. I do it all the time. Is that device supposed to be a transcoder as well or something?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Not sure yet but from what I understand it converts the DD+ 5.1 audio signal the Roku puts out to AC3 via optical SPDIF that the PVR 2 can record...
Old 04-23-2016, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
My Monoprice HDMI switcher should arrives tomorrow so what switch combination should I use to output a 5,1 AC3 audio stream from my Roku 2 via SPDIF that I can record via the HD PVR 2 ?

Thanks !
i use Mode 2 with mine.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the help ! I have the switcher in mode 2 outputting over SPDIF optical into the PVR2 but still only getting stereo. Do these PVR2 settings look correct ?

The source is a Roku 2 set up to output 5.1 Dolby D+ via netflix
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	audio decoders.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1399650   Click image for larger version

Name:	audio encoder.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1399658  
Old 04-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help ! I have the switcher in mode 2 outputting over SPDIF optical into the PVR2 but still only getting stereo. Do these PVR2 settings look correct ?

The source is a Roku 2 set up to output 5.1 Dolby D+ via netflix
I'm using Arcsoft Showbiz, not Hauppauge Capture.

For Video Encoder, I select
Profile: High
Level: 4
Latcency: Low

Audio Encoder...
AAC Bitrate: 256Kbps
AAC Encoder Sample Rate Down Scaling:
48K In: 48k
44.1k In: 44.1k

Analog Boost and Disable HDMI AC3 Support are both disabled.

EDIT: I almost forgot... the first time I tried the Monoprice box, I didn't get working 5.1. I had to UNPLUG EVERYTHING (including power) from all devices, then connect everything (power last). I wonder if you are running into the same?

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 04-23-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I'm using Arcsoft Showbiz, not Hauppauge Capture.

For Video Encoder, I select
Profile: High
Level: 4
Latcency: Low

Audio Encoder...
AAC Bitrate: 256Kbps
AAC Encoder Sample Rate Down Scaling:
48K In: 48k
44.1k In: 44.1k

Analog Boost and Disable HDMI AC3 Support are both disabled.

EDIT: I almost forgot... the first time I tried the Monoprice box, I didn't get working 5.1. I had to UNPLUG EVERYTHING (including power) from all devices, then connect everything (power last). I wonder if you are running into the same?

Mark,

Has this Monoprice box successfully converted DD+ to DD from Netflix via Roku?
Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
Has this Monoprice box successfully converted DD+ to DD from Netflix via Roku?
I don't have a Roku. Only FireTV's (first and second gen box, and first gen sitcks).

As I said in a post a while back, I don't know what the Monoprice box does exactly that gives me working DD5.1(AC3) per my Hauppauge box and Showbiz software (and shows DD and the L/R/C/SR/SL/LFE lights on my Pioneer Elite VSX21 receiver). i.e. I don't know if it converts, filters, supplies different EDID, etc, or what. I just know it works for me, and my situation. And I've READ the same from others who have had Roku with sound bars, receivers, etc. And I understand that DD+ is supposed to be backwards compatible with DD, so something like this shouldn't be needed... So again, I'm not sure why it is/was needed for my Fire TVs and the HDPVR2, my Pioneer Elite VSX21, etc. Nor am I sure why many with Roku devices also needed it.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't have a Roku. Only FireTV's (first and second gen box, and first gen sitcks).

As I said in a post a while back, I don't know what the Monoprice box does exactly that gives me working DD5.1(AC3) per my Hauppauge box and Showbiz software (and shows DD and the L/R/C/SR/SL/LFE lights on my Pioneer Elite VSX21 receiver). i.e. I don't know if it converts, filters, supplies different EDID, etc, or what. I just know it works for me, and my situation. And I've READ the same from others who have had Roku with sound bars, receivers, etc. And I understand that DD+ is supposed to be backwards compatible with DD, so something like this shouldn't be needed... So again, I'm not sure why it is/was needed for my Fire TVs and the HDPVR2, my Pioneer Elite VSX21, etc. Nor am I sure why many with Roku devices also needed it.

Oh yes, I forgot. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 PM

S/PDIF supports Compressed bitstreams up to 48Khz/16bps using AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS encoding mechanisms.

Surround audio across S/PDIF can only be achieved using AC3/DTS so the Monoprice must be doing some sort of conversion if is supports DD+.

I attempted to try this yesterday but the Monoprice actually damaged the Hauppauge when first turned on and now no longer works......

Ordered a Fire TV unit for testing with the Hauppauge when its fixed,
Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I tried the monprice box awhile back and it does NOT transcode. I tried a roku 3 with the monprice device and it only sent dd+ and hdpvr2 sound was buzzing and clicking just like it does when hdpvr2 receives the same audio signal directly from roku 3. Only decent solution is use the amazon fire tv 1 and set the audio to dd and it works over hdmi or optical. Last time I check the roku 3 does output dd when play hbo now programs - they are encoded using ac3 and the hdpvr2 works perfectly with them.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
I tried the monprice box awhile back and it does NOT transcode. I tried a roku 3 with the monprice device and it only sent dd+ and hdpvr2 sound was buzzing and clicking just like it does when hdpvr2 receives the same audio signal directly from roku 3. Only decent solution is use the amazon fire tv 1 and set the audio to dd and it works over hdmi or optical. Last time I check the roku 3 does output dd when play hbo now programs - they are encoded using ac3 and the hdpvr2 works perfectly with them.
\

Do you mean this ?

http://www.staples.com/Amazon-Stream...product_338326
Old 04-28-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
Look back on my posts when I first started having issues, you'll see that even setting the Fire TV (1st gen) to DD over Optical, I still got audio that was nothing but screech and hiss (unless it was stereo audio)... and that is why I got the monoprice box in the first place. And I had similar results with HDMI audio from the 1st and 2nd gen Fire TV's I have into my HD PVR2, or optical from the 1st gen Fire TV into my Pioneer Elite VSX21 (circa 1999 which supported DD5.1/DTS).

I've said that I read it had worked for others (with Fire TV and Roku, with sound bars and receivers that didn't appear to support DD+ and also had the symptom of screeching audio). That is why I tried it, and yes it worked *FORM ME*. BUT i've never said I tried it with anything beyond my Fire TV's and my Pioneer receiver and HD PVR2.

I never did understand WHY it worked, or how it worked, or why I needed it to get working 5.1 audio. I just knew that it worked for me.

I apologize if it came across as if I was saying "THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM, AND WILL DEFINITELY FIX IT" because it is a case of "Your Mileage May Vary." I mean, when I first asked about the audio issue, or asked about something like the Monoprice box, many people have said/post I shouldn't need the Monoprice box. It should just work, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement