HD PVR 2 1512 Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #571 of 585 Unread 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominical View Post
Yes, the 1st Gen Fire TV box has optical audio out. The 2nd Gen Fire TV box only outputs audio via HDMI (i.e. no optical audio out port).

That Staples write up says Gen 1, and has picture showing the optical audio out port. So unless the write up is wrong, yes that is a 1st Gen Fire TV box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 585 Unread 04-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
I tried the monprice box awhile back and it does NOT transcode. I tried a roku 3 with the monprice device and it only sent dd+ and hdpvr2 sound was buzzing and clicking just like it does when hdpvr2 receives the same audio signal directly from roku 3. Only decent solution is use the amazon fire tv 1 and set the audio to dd and it works over hdmi or optical. Last time I check the roku 3 does output dd when play hbo now programs - they are encoded using ac3 and the hdpvr2 works perfectly with them.

What's your experience with the Roku3 and Netflix?
post #573 of 585 Unread 04-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

Roku has stated as long ago as last Fall that the DD+ to DD could be done easily (and without recoding -- see Roku Forum). These are the last three requests made by Roku owners as recently as a week ago to Roku to make DD+ to DD an option:

DD+ to DD conversion on the optical port.
Only reason I bought the Roku 4 was for the Opti out. Didn't even occur to me that ANYONE would put out a 4K supported device that included OptiOut but does not have DAC capability. The product is useless without it, and I feel misled. I don't even see this listed among the top feature requests under the first post and it has been routinely requested since October of last year (I consider this not the same as "DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru"). Is it going to be provided or not.Tomslick

And again: DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4.

Again And Again: DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4.
post #574 of 585 Unread 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Don't apologize I just hoped it would work so I tried it with the Roku.....
post #575 of 585 Unread 04-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You know what I'm wondering? All that hiss isn't just random noise. It's the actual digital signal of the audio, converted into an uncompressed wav stream. I bet there's a way to create a program that can decode that hiss and translate it back into the DD+ it's supposed to be, without losing any audio quality. This could even be used for DTS audio as well. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the bitstreaming of those codecs to write such a program, but it would be cool if someone could do that. I'd love being able to capture DD+ or DTS audio this way.
post #576 of 585 Unread 04-30-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
That looks my unit - it has an optical output and it does transcode DD+ to DD.
post #577 of 585 Unread 04-30-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
Netflix only comes out as stereo but if you set roku 3 to force the output of DD+ it just screeches/clicks. Using amazon fire tv gen 1 transcodes netflix to DD (ac3 640) on hdmi or optical out.
post #578 of 585 Unread 04-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
Netflix only comes out as stereo but if you set roku 3 to force the output of DD+ it just screeches/clicks. Using amazon fire tv gen 1 transcodes netflix to DD (ac3 640) on hdmi or optical out.

Terrific! It sounds like that is the solution.
post #579 of 585 Unread 05-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been using the HD PVR 2 GE+ as a DVR with WMC (I'm assuming it functions mostly the same as the 1512 for my problem). After tinkering with a lot of different cable paths, I was able to get DD5.1 working with the following:

WMC PC => HDMI => Receiver => HDMI => Monoprice Box (Mode Switch 1 up, Switch 2 and 3 down)

MP Box=>HDMI => HD PVR HDMI in (video) => TV
MP Box=>Optical => HD PVR optical in (audio)

HD PVR => USB => Recording PC

I am able to capture the 1080p/DD5.1 content with either Hauppauge Capture OR Capture4ME using HDMI video/SPDIF audio, 14mbps CBR (the latter actually works better, HC crashes every now and then). The problem is, on the Recording PC no matter what I do, I cannot mute playback of the sound from the WMC PC once either HC or C4M is opened without muting the entire sound device since there is no output in the volume mixer (the sound from the WMC PC seems to be running in "exclusive" mode on the Recording PC such that I can't actually listen to anything else on the Recording PC - muting HC/C4M does nothing in the volume mixer and nothing in HC if the volume is muted; similar to how Universal Apps can take control of the sound without any display in the volume mixer). Does anyone have thoughts on how to mute only the playback of the WMC PC sound on the Recording PC when HC/C4M is open?
post #580 of 585 Unread 05-08-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_attorney View Post
Interesting. It sounds like there were some hardware changes. I wonder if this revised model handles some of the audio bugs better than the last version.
I also have a new PVR 2 with the round component cable that I bought with an Amazon Fire TV box.for testing. The Fire TV worked great with my TV but not so well with the PVR 2. The Fire does output 5.1 DD that the PVR could record but it was hit or miss and the PVR had problems staying synced up with the fire and the fire and remote had some strange issues but only when connected to the PVR. I could be I had a bad Fire TV unit but I returned it and will order a new one as it looks promising with the correct firmware....
post #581 of 585 Unread 05-17-2016, 08:59 AM

I've been testing the Amazon fire TV for a few days and I can now record Dolby Digital 5.1 with the PVR 2 and it sounds quite good but there are sync issues. It will record flawlessly for anywhere between 1 and 10 or even 20 minutes but then I start getting occasional audio and video dropout errors. I believe this to be the Hauppauge causing the issues but still unsure. Has anyone else got this combination to work properly ? When I input DD+ I get stereo just fine but the sync issues seem to go away .....
post #582 of 585 Unread 05-21-2016, 04:03 PM

I now have 1080P@60HZ and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio ! Works like a champ with Netflix and Amazon prime...
post #583 of 585 Unread 05-23-2016, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I now have 1080P@60HZ and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio ! Works like a champ with Netflix and Amazon prime...
Yes, with splitter, when I'd tried a few months ago, HDMI out of my FireTV2 into HD PVR2 does record DD5.1/AC3.

But I still have the issues where I need to "fix" my recorded files before I can edit them in VideoRedo
post #584 of 585 Unread 06-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you who want a relatively inexpensive solution to the Netflix Dolby Digital Plus+ dilemma, I have found one. The Sony BDP-S3700 is a newish blu-ray player with upwards of 300 apps (according to Sony). Its virtue is that in Netflix it downconverts DD+ (which the Hauppauge can't record) to ordinary Dolby Digital. I have purchased one and can state that it does indeed downconvert. It may also be true that some of its siblings can do likewise.

Last edited by JimLely; 06-24-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: addition
post #585 of 585 Unread Today, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry if I missed a mention of this in this thread.

I noticed the field dominance is reversed on the capture from the 1512. The fields are in the correct order, but F1 becomes F2 and vice versa. One can see this on VRD on video cuts (60i based) and see the cut on F2 instead of the standard F1 resulting in a 60i frame having F1 from F2 of a source frame and F2 from F1 of the next (AKA a jitter frame). My 1212 does not have this issue.

I've used HC and WinTV for capture on both HDMI and Component using HDMI, Optical and analog audio with the same results. Source for both the 1515 and 1212 was an E* PVR (VIP622) including OTA recordings which eliminates the issue of E* encoding. I've tried making edits with VRD between direct OTA recordings and ones captured OTA to .264 and then converted to MPEG2 (with VRD) and the color (after adjusting the Proc settings) and H position line up well but can't line up exact frames because of the field offset so at best there is the 1/2 line upward vertical shift.

Haven't tried other capture software, but I suspect this more to do with the encoding than the capture. Sent Hauppauge an email a few days ago but no answer yet.

There are other issues such as the dropped frames on longer captures in VRD which do not show up as lost packets (the TS count sequence is correct), but that's another issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers