HD PVR 2 1512 Owners Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I have not tried using the MonoPrice switch (with optical audio out) in the family room with the cable box as an attempt to eliminate the echo. With work and some personal stuff right now, I don't know if I'll have time to disconnect the Monoprice box from up stairs, and try it in the family room.
Yeah, I can eliminate the echo by turning the TV volume down, but sometimes it seems severe enough where you can see a person's lips are out of synch with the audio, I want to minimize this on anything I record with the PVR2.

I may try a lower cost extractor to see if it has a shorter delay via optical. I think they screwed up on the X1 box, or decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
What? Nobody here? Do I have to spend seventy five bucks to find out if it works?
Try videohelp.com
Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I get the delay on my AT&T U-Verse Cisco STB. However, the audio that gets RECORDED with the video by the HD PVR2 is in perfect sync. So I do what others do, mute the TV audio when I record. I think it's due to the HDMI spliter. Doesn't bother me because I don't sit there baby sitting the recorder. I only use it to get recorded video off the STB.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
I get the delay on my AT&T U-Verse Cisco STB. However, the audio that gets RECORDED with the video by the HD PVR2 is in perfect sync. So I do what others do, mute the TV audio when I record. I think it's due to the HDMI spliter. Doesn't bother me because I don't sit there baby sitting the recorder. I only use it to get recorded video off the STB.
I had more time to evaluate my setup and I think the RECORDED audio and video are in sync, but, just in case, I would like to be able to have the 5.1 audio come over the HDMI. The priority of this just dropped a bit since it appears things are in sync. I'm looking for ideas about any devices that might make this work with my system.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I had more time to evaluate my setup and I think the RECORDED audio and video are in sync, but, just in case, I would like to be able to have the 5.1 audio come over the HDMI. The priority of this just dropped a bit since it appears things are in sync. I'm looking for ideas about any devices that might make this work with my system.
I do get 5.1 if I set the ATT STB audio out to digital then start happague capture. Ive noticed if you change audio source in the capture software once you started it you might have to restart or select the source for the audio device again for it to use it for recording.

I use a Kitze BG-520 1X2 HDMI splitter from splitter to TV then from STB to splitter input and from output2 to PVR. Works great when you remember to set the output to digital on the STB.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM

I have a used laptop which I got from my cousin recently. It's an Asus, don't know the model #, but it's a Pentium i3 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I installed the original ArcSoft ShowBiz on it and it seemed to be working until I noticed that the capture froze up after a period of time, maybe 25 minutes or so. I tried the other USB port and haven't had that problem so far, so it looks like the USB port on the left side (more convenient to use) is worn out from a lot of use. My cousin's ex-girlfriend used this machine and I think that USB Thumbdrives were used a lot.
I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix that port. I had to use it for the wireless mouse so I could use the right side port for the Hauppauge.

Any ideas for a flaky USB port?
Old 11-05-2016, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone here had success with GE+ (Win 10, also trued with Win 7 prior) connecting with the program Dvbviewer. Noticed members over at their forums connecting Hauppauge's to this program but the ones having success seem to have the Rocket which uses a different encoder engine. The one person who is using a Hd Pvr 2 was having the same problems as me, but as with myself and seems the norm no one bothering to answer our questions or help. Connecting it as Hauppauge Siena Video Capture, setting it up as Terrestrial, group H (so as not to interfere with my satellite card on A), Encoder box settings as digital serial etc, (using hdmi for both video and audio), then go to scan as EUR Terrestrial (group H), under the scan / reception settings, have to press scan twice for it to react but finds no channels and the box doesn't light up as it does with both Capture and Wintv 8.

If anyone can please help me get this setup with this program I would be most grateful.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So I just got an HD PVR 2 for dumping a few programs from my Hopper before I switch over to my new Tivo. I've been able to get it setup and capture just fine, but I have an issue (not surprising, it's with AC3 audio.... I mean, it's 2016, how hard could it be to dump the data stream to the disk without messing with it?!).

Anyways, I'm using the Hauppauge Capture software (v1.0.34236) and capturing audio via HDMI, and when I capture to .mp4 files, all I get AAC 2.0 channel. If I just change to record in .ts, I get the full AC3 5.1 audio stream. I'd like to capture the programs in mp4 just because it's a more widely supported container. I've sent an email to Hauppauge support, but I've been conditioned to not expect any sort of helpful reply after my years of crap support from so many companies.

Does anyone know how to get the Hauppauge Capture to dump the AC3 into the .mp4? Or is there another capture software I should look into? Or should I just stick with dumping to .ts files?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
So I just got an HD PVR 2 for dumping a few programs from my Hopper before I switch over to my new Tivo. I've been able to get it setup and capture just fine, but I have an issue (not surprising, it's with AC3 audio.... I mean, it's 2016, how hard could it be to dump the data stream to the disk without messing with it?!).

Anyways, I'm using the Hauppauge Capture software (v1.0.34236) and capturing audio via HDMI, and when I capture to .mp4 files, all I get AAC 2.0 channel. If I just change to record in .ts, I get the full AC3 5.1 audio stream. I'd like to capture the programs in mp4 just because it's a more widely supported container. I've sent an email to Hauppauge support, but I've been conditioned to not expect any sort of helpful reply after my years of crap support from so many companies.

Does anyone know how to get the Hauppauge Capture to dump the AC3 into the .mp4? Or is there another capture software I should look into? Or should I just stick with dumping to .ts files?
Just capture with ts and then do a quick remux to mp4 afterwards if that's the container you prefer. Many devices don't support AC3 through mp4, however. You may prefer to remux to mkv instead.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
oryan_dunn likes this.

Sony XBR65X930D, PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7501, HD PVR 2
Check out my video game movie edits
Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Just capture with ts and then do a quick remux to mp4 afterwards if that's the container you prefer. Many devices don't support AC3 through mp4, however. You may prefer to remux to mkv instead.

Not a bad idea. I was thinking I'd be able to use ffmpeg to just swap containers. Do you think I could go .ts to .mkv without re-encoding?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not a bad idea. I was thinking I'd be able to use ffmpeg to just swap containers. Do you think I could go .ts to .mkv without re-encoding?

Definitely, just use mkvtoolnix

Old 11-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wondering if someone could help me out with a 5.1 audio recording problem. I've read a lot of the latest posts on this thread and didn't come across 5.1 recording from a PC issues (mostly Roku and FireTV). If I've overlooked the discussion, I apologize in advance and hopefully someone can just point me to the posts. I've got an HD PVR 2 1512 being fed by my PC through on-board HDMI. Latest Intel drivers and latest Hauppauge drivers and Capture software. It seems that no matter what I change, I can't get Windows (under playback devices) to see the HD PVR as accepting anything other than 2 channel audio. If I connect the computer up to my AVR it'll show it 7.1 capable. I know that it can record 5.1 with a .ts container because it works with my Xbox 360 just fine. So is there some way to force Windows to output 5.1 over HDMI?
Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Did you try adjusting the audio output settings of the Roku? I think there was a discussion a while back about "Dolby Digital +" output via the streaming devices.. I think the 1512 doesn't support DD+..
Old 11-29-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Yes, with splitter, when I'd tried a few months ago, HDMI out of my FireTV2 into HD PVR2 does record DD5.1/AC3.
Just an update... it seems I no longer need the Monoprice box to record AC3 5.1 from my 2nd gen Fire TV box's HDMI. I've removed it from my setup. I haven't tried making any full length recordings to see if that change reduces or eliminates the errors in my output files (that then needed to be run through TS-Doctor to fix before i could edit in VideoRedo).

On a side note, since I don't need the monoprice box up stairs to record, I decided to move it to the family room since my Pioneer Elite VSX-21 doesn't have HDMI input. This allowed me to put a 2nd Gen Fire TV box there (optical audio out of the Monoprice box to the Pioneer to get surround sound), and move the 1st Gen box that was in the family room (starting to feel sluggish) up to my son's play room and replace his 1st gen stick (WAY TOO SLOW NOW) in his play room.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I'm dumping files from my Hopper, and am curious to see if anyone here has some advice.

First, should I set the output of the Hopper to the native resolution of the channel I'm recording? Or, should I always just use 720p or 1080i?

Second, any tips on bitrate to use to get decent video without having massive file sizes?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I'm dumping files from my Hopper, and am curious to see if anyone here has some advice.

First, should I set the output of the Hopper to the native resolution of the channel I'm recording? Or, should I always just use 720p or 1080i?

Second, any tips on bitrate to use to get decent video without having massive file sizes?
Use the native resolution. Personally, I always use max bitrate and VBR. If it doesn't need that much bitrate, I believe it will use less. I wouldn't recommend going lower than that. Even this device's maximum bitrate isn't all that high.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Use the native resolution. Personally, I always use max bitrate and VBR. If it doesn't need that much bitrate, I believe it will use less. I wouldn't recommend going lower than that. Even this device's maximum bitrate isn't all that high.

I've read that 1080i doesn't compress as well as 720p, so file sizes for approximately the same originating bandwidth, 720p can be quite a bit smaller. That, and the fact that some devices don't handle interlaced video very well. Most of my 1080i that I want to record would be native 1080i, sports on NBC. Most the other content is either dumb HGTV stuff for my wife, or sports on 720p channels (ABC, ESPN).

I'm also going to be dumping some old VHS tapes, and you think I could still use max VBR and Hauppauge Capture will only use the max bitrate it needs? I certainly wouldn't need 13.5Mbps for VHS tapes.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've read that 1080i doesn't compress as well as 720p, so file sizes for approximately the same originating bandwidth, 720p can be quite a bit smaller. That, and the fact that some devices don't handle interlaced video very well. Most of my 1080i that I want to record would be native 1080i, sports on NBC. Most the other content is either dumb HGTV stuff for my wife, or sports on 720p channels (ABC, ESPN).

I'm also going to be dumping some old VHS tapes, and you think I could still use max VBR and Hauppauge Capture will only use the max bitrate it needs? I certainly wouldn't need 13.5Mbps for VHS tapes.
I've captured SD and 720p with it set to max bitrate and neither actually used the full bitrate. I would imagine the same would be true of 1080i but I'm not sure. 1080i is visually identical to 1080p for scripted programming (filmed at 24fps), so 1080i is a major improvement over 720p there. For 60fps content, 1080i is still higher resolution than 720p and will generally look better than 720p, but 720p may be acceptable for you for that content, but only if the box has a very good quality deinterlacing algorithm. In many cases, downscaling 1080i to 720p results in a very noticeable flicker. If you're not sure about those things, I would just say stick with native res.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

I thought you could copy files directly from the hopper to your PC?? Or it that only if it uses an external drive?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
I thought you could copy files directly from the hopper to your PC?? Or it that only if it uses an external drive?
I am not aware of any way to do that. I'm using external drive, and that is setup with encryption and tied to your specific account, and cannot be read by a PC.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I like capturing at the native resolution of the recording...

When the developer of SPMC stopped for a while and I switched back to Kodi on my FireTVs, but I did have issues playing back 1080i MKV (where 1080p MKV plays fine) which is the only reason I was looking to de-interlace a while back. But using the latest version of SPMC (currently 16.5) plays them properly...

I just set my HDPVR2 to record at 9mbps.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I did a little bit of testing... I'm pretty sure that I don't need to go anywhere near the 14Mbps setting. After the local ABC station compresses down to get the HD feed in an OTA channel with another HD and SD channel, then Dish compresses that even further, it really just looks like crap. I didn't notice when watching on my TV, but after doing a capture I thought it looked bad, even at 14Mbps. I went back and watched it on my biggest TV (46" 1080p set), and direct from the Hopper to the TV, all the same nasty compression artifacts were visible. At least for all the stuff from my local ABC, 7Mbps seems to be just fine. I've seen no difference between the same content I've recorded at both 7Mbps and 14Mbps. It'll be interesting to compare picture quality when I switch to my local FIOS. I should find a show that I know I'll be able to record just before and after I switch, to compare them...

Old 12-05-2016, 04:08 PM

I just received a 1512 I snagged on eBay. Got it for the "normal" price, though the shipping was a little high. Now, I see they're back in stock when a few weeks ago nobody had any. I thought I should get a spare, and I wanted to have a separate setup for transferring VHS and Laserdiscs..

I noticed the USB cable is a different design with a different connector for the PVR2. The cable looks more sturdy than the old one and the connector is very small. There goes the idea of having interchangeable cables. Wonder why they didn't use the same USB connector that is used everywhere else.

I haven't tried it out yet, as the mail delivery came rather late today, but I'll probably check it out tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 1512 uses a standard micro-B USB connector.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The 1512 uses a standard micro-B USB connector.
The older 1512 uses a Type B USB connector.
I guess I've seen the mini or micro B only on cameras before.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The older 1512 uses a Type B USB connector.
I guess I've seen the mini or micro B only on cameras before.
Outside Apple, micro-B was used on just about every cell phone in the world until somewhat recently.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I did a little bit of testing... I'm pretty sure that I don't need to go anywhere near the 14Mbps setting. After the local ABC station compresses down to get the HD feed in an OTA channel with another HD and SD channel, then Dish compresses that even further, it really just looks like crap. I didn't notice when watching on my TV, but after doing a capture I thought it looked bad, even at 14Mbps. I went back and watched it on my biggest TV (46" 1080p set), and direct from the Hopper to the TV, all the same nasty compression artifacts were visible. At least for all the stuff from my local ABC, 7Mbps seems to be just fine. I've seen no difference between the same content I've recorded at both 7Mbps and 14Mbps. It'll be interesting to compare picture quality when I switch to my local FIOS. I should find a show that I know I'll be able to record just before and after I switch, to compare them...
So I figured out how to see the file size of the recordings directly on the Hopper. It's basically 1GB/30min. At 9Mbps, the 1512 is about 2GB/30min.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Liked: 0
Any recommendations for a 3rd party IR blaster that works w NPVR? I have a Colossus 2 (that thread is dead), and the Hauppauge blaster is horrific. Video works great. Doesn't help that I have a laggy UVerse STB. I cannot get it to blast the same number twice (Ie 1105), it will just do 105. Some channels work okay (ie 1602 espn), but it can take 3-4 tries at changing the channel to get it right. It makes recordings quite unreliable.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Liked: 11
1512 has stopping working in Capture mode

My 1512 has stopped working in Capture mode and I not sure if it is a defect or an incorrect setting.

If I switch to the StreamEez mode, the video/audio appear on my computer as normal. That indicates to me that the problem is not with any of the cables or the video signal.

However, when I switch back to Capture, the video goes blank and nothing gets recorded.

Any suggestions?

-Bill
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post
My 1512 has stopped working in Capture mode and I not sure if it is a defect or an incorrect setting.

If I switch to the StreamEez mode, the video/audio appear on my computer as normal. That indicates to me that the problem is not with any of the cables or the video signal.

However, when I switch back to Capture, the video goes blank and nothing gets recorded.

Any suggestions?

-Bill
I heard back from Hauppauge tech support today. I wrote them the same time as my original post. The fix worked.

"With the capture application closed navigate to C:\Users\Public\Hauppauge Capture and delete the file config.xml then reopen the application and see if you now have video on the record tab."

-Bill
nikknightt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement