HD PVR 2 1512 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #631 of 658 Old 05-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
When I use my 1512 to capture from my DVR via HDMI there are occasional glitches in the video file. In contrast, I have never seen any of these issues when capturing from a streaming device via HDMI. Anybody care to enlighten me as to why?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 658 Old 05-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
When I use my 1512 to capture from my DVR via HDMI there are occasional glitches in the video file. In contrast, I have never seen any of these issues when capturing from a streaming device via HDMI. Anybody care to enlighten me as to why?
Thanks.
I don't have an answer as I have only used my 1512 with my DVR.
I sometimes capture "live" from the DVR while it is also recording the program. A few times I have noticed a glitch (what else can we call it?) while capturing. The 1512 indicator goes from blue to green then back to blue a couple seconds later. When I go back to the recording the DVR made, the glitch is not always there. In that case I can capture the affected area again and using VideoRedo, insert the good portion seamlessly into the file. It's more work, but I strive to have files without imperfections.
That didn't answer your question, but it shows how perplexing the glitches can be.
post #633 of 658 Old 06-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have kind of an easy question as I looked all over the makers web site, but when recording to your windows pc do you connect it to a the 1512 with the usb cable ? I"am guessing so as the pics make no sense as they show you hooking your pc to the hdmi in which makes no since. Does the unit not need a usb connection to your pc to store the recordings on your pc's hard drive ?

Another question since this unit does have a usb could an external hd be plugged in and record to it ?

Its really confusing because some pics show an s video plug and some show a a square plug of some sort that you plug your set up box in to ?

post #634 of 658 Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roefastford View Post
I have kind of an easy question as I looked all over the makers web site, but when recording to your windows pc do you connect it to a the 1512 with the usb cable ? I"am guessing so as the pics make no sense as they show you hooking your pc to the hdmi in which makes no since. Does the unit not need a usb connection to your pc to store the recordings on your pc's hard drive ?
I have my HD PVR connected this way:
- Component video from our cable DVR to the 1512.
- USB2 cable from the 1512 to my PC.
- I do not have any HDMI cables connected to the 1512.

I do all of the viewing of the video to be recorded on my PC's monitor. I use component video in to eliminate any copy protection issues that HDMI input to the 1512 can have.

Quote:
Another question since this unit does have a usb could an external hd be plugged in and record to it ?
No. The USB must be connected to a computer. Then the computer records the video to a hard drive.

Skylark
post #635 of 658 Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
I have my HD PVR connected this way:
- Component video from our cable DVR to the 1512.
- USB2 cable from the 1512 to my PC.
- I do not have any HDMI cables connected to the 1512.

I do all of the viewing of the video to be recorded on my PC's monitor. I use component video in to eliminate any copy protection issues that HDMI input to the 1512 can have.

No. The USB must be connected to a computer. Then the computer records the video to a hard drive.

Skylark
Thank you for the info. I was searching on amazon and buyers listed they bought a
ViewHD-HDMI-1x2-Splitter VHD-1X2MN3D and used it on this set up and it eliminates the copy protection issues, so you can record off full Hdmi signal. I found one on ebay in california for just under $20 with shipping cost included so I ordered one also.
post #636 of 658 Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roefastford View Post
Thank you for the info. I was searching on amazon and buyers listed they bought a
ViewHD-HDMI-1x2-Splitter VHD-1X2MN3D and used it on this set up and it eliminates the copy protection issues, so you can record off full Hdmi signal. I found one on ebay in california for just under $20 with shipping cost included so I ordered one also.
Good info for those who only have HDMI out from their source device. Do post your results after you set your system up with the splitter.
post #637 of 658 Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
Good info for those who only have HDMI out from their source device. Do post your results after you set your system up with the splitter.
Will do, but pretty sure its going to work as many buyers on amazon posted in their reviews that they got this exact Hdmi splitter because it removed the problem of encoding of the Hdmi signal making the Hdmi signal clean and readable by the 1512 HD PVR 2.
post #638 of 658 Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM

Does anyone use one of these 1512's to record off a dish network vip211z HD receiver ?

Asking because I ordered a 1512 to record tv off my Dish network vip211z HD receiver, and I was curious if the included ir blaster that comes with the 1512 works fine to control the Dish vip211z receiver ?

Anyone have any experience with the 1512 using it with a Dish vip211z ?
post #639 of 658 Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm following this thread thinking about buying a 1512 or similar product to save video that was previously saved on a satellite dish's hard drive. I understand that saved video will have to be played back in real time to save it that way. I've had one hard drive on a DirecTV recorder fail - where everything was lost. I'm looking for a better way to save these programs.
post #640 of 658 Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Bl View Post
I'm following this thread thinking about buying a 1512 or similar product to save video that was previously saved on a satellite dish's hard drive. I understand that saved video will have to be played back in real time to save it that way. I've had one hard drive on a DirecTV recorder fail - where everything was lost. I'm looking for a better way to save these programs.
Dtv recordings are encrypted so the only way to capture them is in real time like you mentioned. There aren't any tivo togo type apps that will allow access to the dvr.. (that i know of)
I think Hauppauge is the only device that captures 5.1 -- Or is that old news at this point? Anybody care to elaborate?

Furthermore, Has anybody used any other HDMI capture device like the elgato? Do they have the same type 'glitches' that the 1512 sometimes has? Are they more reliable?
post #641 of 658 Old 06-16-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Yeah it's kind of ridiculous that Hauppauge is the only device that records 5.1. In fact, I have a different video capture device I'm using right now for higher quality captures and 4K capture ability, yet when I do, I simultaneously also capture on the HD PVR 2 with a dummy video feed and optical audio in order to capture that 5.1 audio, which I later mix back in with my video file captured with the other device.

You'd think they would at least allow 5.1 (or even 7.1) LPCM capture on newer HDMI devices.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W, PS4 Pro, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #642 of 658 Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Does anyone know of a way to cast from the 1512 to a roku such as a roku ultra ? The only think my 1512 shows it can cast to is my motorola headset. Would be great if I could cast recordings on playback from my 1512 to my roku ultra, instead of having to run another hdmi cable and splitter as my current hdmi on my computer video card goes to my monitor so until I figure out the best way I"am stuck watching my recordings on my smaller computer monitor.

I could use their android app and miracast from that to my roku ultra but stupid cheapskates google did not enable miracast on my google pixel xl phone so no miracast only chromecast. Google just wanted to cheap out and not have to pay miracast for the licensing for pixel users to be able to use miracast.
post #643 of 658 Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Also was wondering is there a remote control available for the 1512 ? I have a remote from an older tv tuner card that worked with windows media center, I tried the remote from it figuring it would not work on the 1512 and just as I thought nope wont work lol.
post #644 of 658 Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Yeah it's kind of ridiculous that Hauppauge is the only device that records 5.1. In fact, I have a different video capture device I'm using right now for higher quality captures and 4K capture ability, yet when I do, I simultaneously also capture on the HD PVR 2 with a dummy video feed and optical audio in order to capture that 5.1 audio, which I later mix back in with my video file captured with the other device.
You'd think they would at least allow 5.1 (or even 7.1) LPCM capture on newer HDMI devices.
Care to share what that other device is? How do you sync the audio in post?
post #645 of 658 Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Care to share what that other device is? How do you sync the audio in post?
The AV.io 4K. Make sure you have a good GPU though, as it's not preencoded like the Hauppauge, and also 4K video will use the entire USB 3.0 bandwidth, so some USB ports may have trouble with it (dropped frames) if they aren't fast enough. But even for 1080p recording it's better because you can use higher bitrates, quality based encoding, and record 60fps at 1080p too. So I use it for everything because I get better quality recordings.

I sync the audio while editing (I record stereo from HDMI and 5.1 from optical via HD PVR 2 so it's not difficult), but if I needed to, I could simply use the editor to determine exactly what offset I need to apply to the audio track and simply remux with mkvtoolnix

nikknightt likes this.

post #646 of 658 Old 06-24-2017, 02:46 AM

I"am having trouble getting the 1512's ir blaster to control my dish 211z receiver. I can get some of the dish codes to turn my dish receiver on with the ir blaster but they wont change the channel and some will change the channel but wont power my dish 211z receiver on. So the only way I can record from my dish 211z receiver is by leaving the receiver powered on all the time.

It is so touchy many times the codes will work to power it on or change channels with the blaster config software, b ut many times going back to those same codes they will do absolutely nothing. I"am about ready to call their cs about this and if no help will be returning it to hauppauge as I bought it from them directly.

Anyone have any clue on this ? 109, 129 and 136 have been the only ones I have had do anything at all but none work like it should.

It is supposed to turn your set up box on for scheduled recording correct ?
post #647 of 658 Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, all. First time poster, and I'm at my wits' end with this issue.

My HD PVR 2 1512 is currently pulling video feed from my cable set top box via component cables and audio from optical cable. However, I have no audio in my preview feed, and certain recordings either have no audio, stutter badly, or the audio is several seconds behind the video. I have tried switching the audio encoder bitrate, but have had no luck isolating the cause of the issue.

I can record without issue with all component in to the PVR2, but the audio compression from AC3 to AAC reduces overall volume to a very low level, almost unwatchable.

Here are some notes/various things I've tried:
- I am currently recording using a Microsoft SurfaceBook i5 model.
- I've been emailing back and forth with someone from tech support at Hauppauge for the past week. They say they've spoken with other tech support reps and developers and no one knows why this is happening.
- I recorded off of my PS3 and it recorded without issue. Problem seems to be isolated to STB with optical audio out to PVR2.
- I have the audio recording option switched to SPDIF.
- Switching to a .TS file from .MP4 doesn't help.
- Tried recording when only one input was running out from set top box (as opposed to two, 1 for TV and 1 for PVR2). No luck.

I've been trying to figure this out for a month with no luck. You all are my last hope (which is why I created an act to come beg for help!).

Any ideas/guidance anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
post #648 of 658 Old 06-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure how much I can help.. What capture app do you use? Showbiz or HC?
Does it capture from the STBs HDMI output ok? If so, Buy a splitter..?
post #649 of 658 Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure how much I can help.. What capture app do you use? Showbiz or HC?
Does it capture from the STBs HDMI output ok? If so, Buy a splitter..?
I've been using Hauppauge Capture. And no to your second question. I get an HDCP error when I try to record via HDMI from the STB.

post #650 of 658 Old 06-30-2017, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMayhem View Post
I've been using Hauppauge Capture. And no to your second question. I get an HDCP error when I try to record via HDMI from the STB.

To get rid of the copy protection you need a splitter. Not all of them work. Here is one that does:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Bill
post #651 of 658 Old 06-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can use a splitter like Bill advised to start using HDMI but just for the heck of it I would also re-install/update HC drivers and software..
I know you said everything worked via your PS3 but I would give it a shot..
post #652 of 658 Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You can use a splitter like Bill advised to start using HDMI but just for the heck of it I would also re-install/update HC drivers and software..
I know you said everything worked via your PS3 but I would give it a shot..
I'll give this and the splitter a shot. Like I said, this is kind of my last shot at resolving this so I'll try anything. Couple of clarifying questions :

I was under the impression that the drivers are installed when the HC software is installed. Is this true?

What benefits would the Showbiz software provide over HC?

Thanks again!

post #653 of 658 Old 06-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, Drivers are installed when HC is installed. (by default)
Showbiz offers a full page of capture settings that HC doesn't.
Here's what it looks like:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...e2#post2481968
post #654 of 658 Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, Drivers are installed when HC is installed. (by default)
Showbiz offers a full page of capture settings that HC doesn't.
Here's what it looks like:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...e2#post2481968
Pretty sure HC has all those settings, just listed across multiple tabs in the options

post #655 of 658 Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'll give this and the splitter a shot. Like I said, this is kind of my last shot at resolving this so I'll try anything. Couple of clarifying questions :

I was under the impression that the drivers are installed when the HC software is installed. Is this true?

What benefits would the Showbiz software provide over HC?

Thanks again!

I'm a little shocked to be writing this (and nervous that I'm going to jinx myself by doing so) but the HDMI splitter worked! I was able to record 4 separate 30 min shows off my DVD without issue via HDMI.

Thanks so much everyone! You played a huge role in helping me prep my father's Christmas gift this year (blu-ray set of all our team's games from this year's Stanley Cup playoffs).

nikknightt likes this.
post #656 of 658 Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM

I have a bit rate question..........

I'm using a PVR 1212 with Hauppauge Capture, latest HC and driver versions.

I capture 1080i information from my DirecTV box, TS format, mux to Blu-Ray format using TSmuxer, burn BR disc with Imgburn.

My issue is that I get smoother BR disc play back (tried 2 different BR players) with the VBR bit rate, than with CBR.

I set my bite rate slider to 13.5 max for both the VBR and CBR. The CBR video had an extremely slight judder, looks like it drops a frame every so many seconds.

If I look at the VBR and CBR capture of the same video source using MediaInfo, the VBR averages 11, 18 max, CBR 14 avg, 18 max. The CBR capture has slightly better image detail so I would prefer to use CBR.

Anyone have any reasons why my CBR capture should have that slight judder over the VBR?

Would running the original CBR capture through TSdoctor, or another app help?

Would another capture app, such as, Showbiz, d o better? any recommendations?
post #657 of 658 Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
[QUOTE=FussyBob;54417073]I have a bit rate question..........

If I look at the VBR and CBR capture of the same video source using MediaInfo, the VBR averages 11, 18 max, CBR 14 avg, 18 max. The CBR capture has slightly better image detail so I would prefer to use CBR.

/QUOTE]

Since CBR is Constant Bit Rate then why does MediaInfo indicate that it varies? Also, in your example cited, shouldn't the file size be smaller for VBR since its average BR (in your example) is lower than that of CBR?
post #658 of 658 Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 AM

[quote=JimLely;54459673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FussyBob View Post
I have a bit rate question..........

/QUOTE]

Since CBR is Constant Bit Rate then why does MediaInfo indicate that it varies? Also, in your example cited, shouldn't the file size be smaller for VBR since its average BR (in your example) is lower than that of CBR?
The CBR file size is 11.6 G, the VBR is 8.9 G. There are discussions on the net that state CBR can jump higher than the set BR value. I don't know why, maybe it's just a Hauppauge Capture thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page