Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 265 Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi All,

I bought this device today and I can't even get through the installation. In attempting to execute the installation from the installation software at their website (for a PC installation), the install stalls at "Installing Record Button Support." Please help!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 265 Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,
I'm pretty computer/electronic literate but I have a few questions regarding the HDPVR1512 because I want to purchase this within the next couple days:

I have comcast and my Motorola DCX-3501 DVR box is full of playoff hockey games and I want to transfer them to my PC. Will this STB present me with any issues if I connect it through component? Will I need to remove the HCMI from the STB to transfer video from my DVR?

Will this model enable me to record PS3 gaming with the accessories provided in the box?

Is the HDPVR GE Plus the same thing but with gaming accessories and mac compatible?
post #63 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I'm about to buy this but I have a question. I currently own the original HD PVR which has served me well. It had optical in and out so that I could send my Xbox 360 audio to the Hauppauge to be recorded but also allowed me to hear 5.1 audio when I was playing games.

Is there some way to do this with the new 1512? There's only an optical in on the back. If I can record 5.1 audio over HDMI and then pipe the optical to my headset, that would be great but has anyone done that?

this could be a dealbreaker but I guess I don't have many options out there since I don't see optical in/out on any of the affordable HDMI recorders. I just don't want to go back to stereo gaming.

And does anyone know if there are going to be a next-gen group of recorders? Lots of 1080p60 games coming out for Xbox One but no 60 fps recorders around. I don't want to have to debate between 720p60 and 1080p30.
post #64 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post

Hey Guys,
Will this model enable me to record PS3 gaming with the accessories provided in the box?

HDMI is fully encrypted on the PS3. You're going to have to use component to record and component caps at 1080i. Or you can buy a bunch of additional hardware to remove the HDCP.
post #65 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

HDMI is fully encrypted on the PS3. You're going to have to use component to record and component caps at 1080i. Or you can buy a bunch of additional hardware to remove the HDCP.

There's a splitter for $30 that will remove HDCP. Check out some threads over at videohelp.com
post #66 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

yes, but you have to be careful what hdmi splitters will actually remove HDCP. quite a number of them don't.
post #67 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys,
I'm pretty computer/electronic literate but I have a few questions regarding the HDPVR1512 because I want to purchase this within the next couple days:

I have comcast and my Motorola DCX-3501 DVR box is full of playoff hockey games and I want to transfer them to my PC. Will this STB present me with any issues if I connect it through component? Will I need to remove the HCMI from the STB to transfer video from my DVR?

Is the HDPVR GE Plus the same thing but with gaming accessories and mac compatible?

I don't have Comcast nor the same DVR model you have, but I do have Verizon, and a Motorola FIOS DVR. And I just got my HDPVR2 in the mail today. So I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.

1. You shouldn't run into any problems with the component cables, it bypasses the HDCP
2. I can't say if this is the same case with your model of DVR, but my Motorola DVR can be connected to the HDMI + COMPONENT cables at the same time with zero issues
3. I did some research before I brought my HDPVR2 1512, and from what I could tell, the HDPVR GE+ is the same exact hardware except for the accessories. So I don't see why you couldn't record your PS3 with it.

Here's the breakdown on the accessories:

HDPVR2:

1 HDMI wire
1 Male COMPONENT wire + Stereo Cable attached
1 AV wire with Female COMPONENT + Female Stereo
1 USB Cable
1 IR Blaster

HDPVR GE+:

2 HDMI wires
1 AV Wire with Male COMPONENT + Male Stereo Cable attached
1 USB Cable

P.S.
You might want to get an Optical cable if you want to record in 5.1, none of the models gives you an Optical cable. So unless you're ok with just recording your shows in Stereo 2.0, you're going to need it.

Good Luck

Verizon FIOS NYC
post #68 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:

I'm about to buy this but I have a question. I currently own the original HD PVR which has served me well. It had optical in and out so that I could send my Xbox 360 audio to the Hauppauge to be recorded but also allowed me to hear 5.1 audio when I was playing games.

Is there some way to do this with the new 1512? There's only an optical in on the back. If I can record 5.1 audio over HDMI and then pipe the optical to my headset, that would be great but has anyone done that?

this could be a dealbreaker but I guess I don't have many options out there since I don't see optical in/out on any of the affordable HDMI recorders. I just don't want to go back to stereo gaming.

And does anyone know if there are going to be a next-gen group of recorders? Lots of 1080p60 games coming out for Xbox One but no 60 fps recorders around. I don't want to have to debate between 720p60 and 1080p30.

There's a HDMI in/out on the HDPVR1512 and it's used for HDMI passthrough, so you should be able to connect your XBOX and still output video/sound to your receiver. The only problem seem to be that it only records at 1080p30.

Verizon FIOS NYC
post #69 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:

Yup, even with the HDPVR GE+ edition, you can only record in 1080i through the component. If you want full 1080p PS3 recording using just HDMI, you're going to need a HDCP stripper (It's pretty easy to find online under a different name).

Verizon FIOS NYC
post #70 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

This works for me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/
danxmanly likes this.
post #71 of 265 Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAnCeFoRcE View Post

There's a HDMI in/out on the HDPVR1512 and it's used for HDMI passthrough, so you should be able to connect your XBOX and still output video/sound to your receiver. The only problem seem to be that it only records at 1080p30.

thanks for the answer. as long as I can record 5.1 and also listen to my 5.1 optical headset, I'm good to go.
post #72 of 265 Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I don't have Comcast nor the same DVR model you have, but I do have Verizon, and a Motorola FIOS DVR. And I just got my HDPVR2 in the mail today. So I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.

1. You shouldn't run into any problems with the component cables, it bypasses the HDCP
2. I can't say if this is the same case with your model of DVR, but my Motorola DVR can be connected to the HDMI + COMPONENT cables at the same time with zero issues
3. I did some research before I brought my HDPVR2 1512, and from what I could tell, the HDPVR GE+ is the same exact hardware except for the accessories. So I don't see why you couldn't record your PS3 with it.

Here's the breakdown on the accessories:

HDPVR2:

1 HDMI wire
1 Male COMPONENT wire + Stereo Cable attached
1 AV wire with Female COMPONENT + Female Stereo
1 USB Cable
1 IR Blaster

HDPVR GE+:

2 HDMI wires
1 AV Wire with Male COMPONENT + Male Stereo Cable attached
1 USB Cable

P.S.
You might want to get an Optical cable if you want to record in 5.1, none of the models gives you an Optical cable. So unless you're ok with just recording your shows in Stereo 2.0, you're going to need it.

Good Luck

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did purchase it and it works great so far using my Motorola 3501 stb using the component cables and optical for 5.1, Does anyone have any user settings and or tips and tricks for recording cable tv?

Oh and it makes no sense that they provide the IR blaster with out the remote.They should also include the composite cables and optical as well.
post #73 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did purchase it and it works great so far using my Motorola 3501 stb using the component cables and optical for 5.1, Does anyone have any user settings and or tips and tricks for recording cable tv?

Oh and it makes no sense that they provide the IR blaster with out the remote.They should also include the composite cables and optical as well.

Glad you like it. I haven't gotten around to playing with some of the Advanced settings, but I have changed the basic setting by cranking up the Video Quality to 14.00 Mbps Variable. The recording looks ok, so I'm fine with the settings so far. But I'm also curious to see some other people's settings as well.

I have noticed one major bug when it comes to this model, and it's been confirmed on certain forums. Whenever I try to record any of the OnDemand streams, the recording will always have a incorrect/shorten timecode and screws up your ability to Fast Forward correctly. The reason given was that when you stream something OnDemand, it's dependant on your internet connection, and sometimes the picture/sound will glitch, which will result in a stopping/restarting the recording for few second (you will notice the light change on the box). The only solution to that seem to use local recording saved on your DVR, or record it live. No fix in sight it looks like, but at least people are aware of it.

And yea, it is pretty useless to include an IR blaster without a remote, I didn't even bother hooking it up.

Verizon FIOS NYC
post #74 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM
tgh

Quote:

And yea, it is pretty useless to include an IR blaster without a remote, I didn't even bother hooking it up.

If you're using WinTV 7 to schedule recordings, the blaster is very useful all by itself.
post #75 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh View Post

If you're using WinTV 7 to schedule recordings, the blaster is very useful all by itself.
Assuming you don't have a recent cable box. The codes are old. Thing can't even learn mine and it's a pretty common Time-Warner Moto box.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #76 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you're talking about bitrate settings here's something I put together a while back as a reference. It deals with the 1212 model and finished file sizes when authoring to AVCHD.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055232/hauppauge-hdpvr-1212-owners-thread/2760#post_21496989

Start here and tweak as you like. These should be safe values with great quality. There's nothing worse than having to capture a 2 hour program twice because I wanted an extra .5mbps.
These settings are variable bit rates & the 1212 has a max setting of 13.5mbps.

720p/5.1 source:
60min 12.0vr dvd5
90min 10.0vr dvd5 13.5vr dvd9
120min 12.0vr dvd9

1080i/5.1
60min 11.0vr dvd5
90min 11.0vr dvd9
120min 9.0vr dvd9

When authoring to Blu-Ray I can usually get 6:30 to 6:45 hrs of 720p on a disc. 12.0vbr.
post #77 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 AM

Thanks, Nik!

I have these files all saved to my HD as .ts files. I was planing to convert them to .mp4 files. Maybe I should purchase a blu-ray burner?
post #78 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Hello guys. I just received my HDpvr2 ge+ and was wondering why I can't get 5.1 to work with it in a couple of different setups I've tried. Latest driver from the happauge website. Disable hdmi ac3 unchecked. Here is how my setup is.

Tried first: PC/console---splitter---PVR--5.1receiver only got me to output 2.0 from the happauge. My splitter does support 5.1. Tried everything except the optical because my PC can only do 5.1 from hdmi. Ps3 only did 2.0 as well to the reciever and passing through the PVR. Tried for hours to get this to work with 5.1 passing through with hdmi and couldn't figure it out.

Second try: PC/console---splitter--receiver--PVR--tv-- with this I could get 5.1 finally in my receiver and then from the reciever to PVR it could record video but no audio. Had to change a setting to allow it to pass all of the way though to the tv from the receiver.

The PVR now doesn't record in 5.1. It records in 2.0 cutting out the 5.1 parts and even losing sound. I don't even mind if it down mixed it to stereo as long as it doesn't cut out the effects like it does. I was playing saints row 4 on PC and everytime someone would talk it wouldn't capture it because of the sound mixing.

Any ideas on any setting or something I'm missing? On PC I'm using a gtx580 hdmi out.
post #79 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Nik!
I have these files all saved to my HD as .ts files. I was planing to convert them to .mp4 files. Maybe I should purchase a blu-ray burner?

I think it depends on what you ultimately want to do with the files. What's your end result? Author them to disc? Stream them?
I capture to .TS also... From there I can author to avchd/BD or I can stream them to my PS3 using PS3 Media Server.
post #80 of 265 Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuaBranson View Post

The PVR now doesn't record in 5.1. It records in 2.0 cutting out the 5.1 parts and even losing sound. I don't even mind if it down mixed it to stereo as long as it doesn't cut out the effects like it does. I was playing saints row 4 on PC and everytime someone would talk it wouldn't capture it because of the sound mixing.

this is what I was worried about (not being able to record 5.1 over HDMI). If you finally figure it out, please let me know what you did.

So once I get mine, I'll try it out myself. Otherwise, I'm going to have to get an optical splitter so that I can both record 5.1 audio and use my 5.1 headset.

something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270485

I read that it's better to get a powered splitter even though it's more expensive.
post #81 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

this is what I was worried about (not being able to record 5.1 over HDMI). If you finally figure it out, please let me know what you did.

So once I get mine, I'll try it out myself. Otherwise, I'm going to have to get an optical splitter so that I can both record 5.1 audio and use my 5.1 headset.

something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270485

I read that it's better to get a powered splitter even though it's more expensive.

I have no problem at all recording 5.1 over HDMI. If you are using ArcSoft, having set the 'video' to HDMI you will then set 'audio' to HDMI. Here's the problem: 'Audio' has 2 HDMI settings: one doesn't pass anything (apparently) and the other does. Just monitor the audio when you choose.

Jim
onlysublime likes this.
post #82 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone use Mediainfo to check out their recordings? When I use it, 90% of the time it reports out the proper time and bit rate for the recording. Occasionaly it reports a bit rate impossibly high and a time that's way too short. When I do a directory listing for the file, the shortened time agrees with Mediainfo, but the movie plays fine and at the proper length.
post #83 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

I have no problem at all recording 5.1 over HDMI. If you are using ArcSoft, having set the 'video' to HDMI you will then set 'audio' to HDMI. Here's the problem: 'Audio' has 2 HDMI settings: one doesn't pass anything (apparently) and the other does. Just monitor the audio when you choose.

Jim

thanks! that makes me feel soooo much better. can't wait for it the pvr2 to arrive!
post #84 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Jim

I'm using Haupaugge Capture. The new one. Not Arcsoft. I've never been able to have 5.1 over HDMI pass through or capture. All of my settings only have 2.0 settings and when 5.1 audio comes through it only records 2 channels of the 5. Are you using an audio/video receiver or anything like I am? I called Hauppauge and they said it only works over optical.
post #85 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Jim

No problems with recording off HDMI, as long as your HDMI stream is not encrypted. The settings should be very similar under Hauppauge Capture (Audio Input: HDMI).

Verizon FIOS NYC
post #86 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

No problems with recording off HDMI, as long as your HDMI stream is not encrypted. The settings should be very similar under Hauppauge Capture (Audio Input: HDMI).
I got this on Monday and have been working on getting this figured out around 8 hours a day after work. I've tried that. Everyone says its easy just plug in an hdmi cable. It's not working for me and I have no idea why. It's really frustrating. No setting I have seen lets me have 5.1. All are 2.0 cutting out channels that are 5.1. Did you guys read my post? I should be getting 5.1 into the thing right?

Also I don't have the 1512. I have the gaming edition plus.
post #87 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuaBranson View Post

I'm using Haupaugge Capture. The new one. Not Arcsoft. I've never been able to have 5.1 over HDMI pass through or capture. All of my settings only have 2.0 settings and when 5.1 audio comes through it only records 2 channels of the 5. Are you using an audio/video receiver or anything like I am? I called Hauppauge and they said it only works over optical.

Yes, it is obviously true that there will be issues if the HDMI stream is encrypted (which is why I use a HDCP stripper). My understanding is that Hauppauge Capture is not yet ready for Prime Time. Wasn't ArcSoft Showbiz included on the disc that came with your 1512?

Below is the pasted output of mediainfo for a movie that I recorded with the 1512 off my provider's HD DVR. So, regardless of what Hauppauge tells you, if you read down to where the 'audio' reference is you will see evidence for the presence of 5.1

ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1h 54mn
Bit rate : 13.8 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.221
Stream size : 11.1 GiB (92%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 129
Duration : 1h 54mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 37ms
Stream size : 316 MiB (3%)
post #88 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

okay, can someone clarify this arcsoft vs hauppauge capture?

the hd pvr 2 (in my case, 1512) comes with arcsoft showbiz on disc? I assume this is the successor to the ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme/ArcSoft Capture Module for the original HD PVR?

I see on the Hauppauge site, that the ArcSoft is not there for download? It's been replaced by the Hauppauge Capture? If Hauppauge Capture is not ready for prime time, is there a way to update the ArcSoft software? I remember on my other Hauppauge devices, some things on the retail disc were unavailable for download (it would say that I had to get a replacement disc from Hauppauge).

I just watched an arcsoft vs hauppauge capture video on youtube. It does seem really cool to have the ability to directly integrate and record your game chat into the game audio with the new Hauppauge Capture software. I know that wasn't easily possible with the HD PVR without buying an audio mixer. has anyone recorded 5.1 HDMI audio via hauppauge capture? I would like to keep the ability to record my voice in the video. But if it's not possible, I could stick to ArcSoft as recording 5.1 HDMI while simultaneously playing the game in 5.1 over optical is my ultimate goal. I'm surprised I didn't see more of this hauppauge capture vs arcsoft in the review videos.
post #89 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

INstall showbiz, run it and it will say that there is a later version available for downloading.
onlysublime likes this.
post #90 of 265 Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 PM

Ok I finally got 5.1 through hdmi working on my ps3. No such luck on PC but that just seems to be from the PVR not picking up a 5.1 signal from my PC. Which is weird. On ps3 I had to choose only Dolby digital 5.1 and not dts or anything else and just 2 channel PCM. Yeesh. I think optical will work for my 360 since its an older model without hdmi.

On PC it's not a huge deal since I can use MSi afterburner if I'm desperate for PC footage. Thanks for trying to help guys.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page