Handbrake Encoding Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Found an old thread from '07 on here as well as HB forums. Wanted to see what people were using today.

I ripped Friends 20 minute episodes to MKV, which ends up being around 900 to 1050GB each, which equates to around 200GB for the 10 seasons.
Thats 1280x720 with 5.1ch AC3 audio.

I used the "regular" profile in handbrake and end up getting about a 600MB 1280x720 AAC DolbyPro LogicII mp4 file. 120GB for the collection isnt bad, but wondering if 300 or 400MB files would be just as adequate. Dont know much about the settings to mess with them.

What do you guys use for 20 minute 720p shows?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I assume your source is a blu-ray disc? If so, it all depends on how much quality you want vs file size. Personally, I would want to keep the best quality I could. Once you downgrade to lower resolution or bitrate, you will never get that quality back.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i will still have the source, so not a big deal to redo if needed.

for the digital media library, i do like uncompressed 1080p for movies, but tv shows, i could go compressed. 900mb for 20 minutes just seems to much. 550mb was good using the regular profile. i want to try for 350-400, but dont know which settings to tweak. im testing right now doing a few manual conversions and see what i get.

regular
vs
ipad profile
vs
regular, changing constant quality to 16
vs
avg quality with 2k bitrate 2 pass with turbo

just randomly trying things to see what effect each has and if i am satisfied with it.

i assume many will say thats what i need to do, but would be good to see what others have also done.
i dont have a tv tuner. there are many here who do pvr and so would have some encoding preferences i assume.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Older thread, but it might give you some additional ideas to play with:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1200296/handbrake-best-practices-for-encoding-to-h-264/60#post_19376576
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

some quick results
original 1.1GB

regular - 546mb
vs
ipad profile - 764mb
vs
regular, changing constant quality to 16 - 1.2gb (moved quantizer wrong way)
vs
avg quality with 2k bitrate 2 pass with turbo - 468mb
vs
quantizer 24 - 256mb

they all seemed good enough, even the last one checking a few scenes. to be safe though i will aim for 400mb.

i will try quantizer 22 and also 2pass at 1800bitrate.

thanks for the link. will check out that thread and try the command line.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

lol. trying that cli script without knowing much about it. my 1gb mkv resulted in an 11gb file, yes, 10 times bigger smile.gif

will stick with the profiles with minor changes.

thanks.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page