CPU with integrated GPU or Separate for a HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have been looking at a HTPC setup for a while now, and I have finally figured out my case - the Silverstone GD04
As for the mobo I am thinking a mini ITX to conserve space inside the HTPC.

When it comes to processors and GPU however, things get a little more complicated. I understand AMD is leading in terms of an integrated GPU solution, however, is it better to have an external GPU so that if need be, there are upgrade possibilities up the road?

I will mainly use the computer for watching bluray backups with powerdvd or simmilar software, and XBMC for the remaining files. I am thinking about maybe doing some light gaming, but I dont need any high settings, just OK.

Any tips?

On beforehand thanks for looking at my thread!

Tords0905
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tordles View Post

Hi All,

I have been looking at a HTPC setup for a while now, and I have finally figured out my case - the Silverstone GD04
As for the mobo I am thinking a mini ITX to conserve space inside the HTPC.

When it comes to processors and GPU however, things get a little more complicated. I understand AMD is leading in terms of an integrated GPU solution, however, is it better to have an external GPU so that if need be, there are upgrade possibilities up the road?

I will mainly use the computer for watching bluray backups with powerdvd or simmilar software, and XBMC for the remaining files. I am thinking about maybe doing some light gaming, but I dont need any high settings, just OK.

Any tips?

On beforehand thanks for looking at my thread!

Tords0905

You could always go with a good IGP now - make sure to keep one PCIe slot available - and throw in a low end GPU down the road when the cards support h.265 for example. When using IGP make sure to remember it will be using system memory - so keep that in mind when purchasing the amount of RAM (not much at all, but still something to consider).
post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

The case is a micro ATX and you'll not need the ITX mobo at all with such a large case!  I used their Milo3B with a FM1 Biostar 75 mobo and A6-3500 and it works great in my bedroom!  4GB RAM on Win 7 32-bit runs fine for my video and the system runs really cool utilizing only the stock HSF and the Antec PSU fans... and it's quiet given the BIOS options to have a "quiet" fan mode!

In today's market the FM2 APUs are higher capacity and may be better suited for moderate gaming.  I think AMD is doing a great job with these APUs and having a PCIe x 16 slot on the mobo would allow future upgrades...  Just stay away from the Nettop solutions if you want a robust, upgradable unit and focus on buying a smaller case if you want an ITX, otherwise, don't limit your search to ITX if you want a micro-ATX case.  How's you settle on the GD4 anyway? 

post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
You going to game at all? Most affordable option is going to be an AMD m-ATX or itx integrated chip. It will have better graphics than intel if you aren't looking to go i5 or higher. AMD will have slightly higher electricity use.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
You probably wont need an upgrade until you have a 4K tv, and a source for 4K content.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

You probably wont need an upgrade until you have a 4K tv, and a source for 4K content.

I'm thinking more when h.265 rolls around
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

You going to game at all? Most affordable option is going to be an AMD m-ATX or itx integrated chip. It will have better graphics than intel if you aren't looking to go i5 or higher. AMD will have slightly higher electricity use.

I plan to do some, but hte reason I am building the computer is mainly 1080P content.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

The case is a micro ATX and you'll not need the ITX mobo at all with such a large case!  I used their Milo3B with a FM1 Biostar 75 mobo and A6-3500 and it works great in my bedroom!  4GB RAM on Win 7 32-bit runs fine for my video and the system runs really cool utilizing only the stock HSF and the Antec PSU fans... and it's quiet given the BIOS options to have a "quiet" fan mode!

In today's market the FM2 APUs are higher capacity and may be better suited for moderate gaming.  I think AMD is doing a great job with these APUs and having a PCIe x 16 slot on the mobo would allow future upgrades...  Just stay away from the Nettop solutions if you want a robust, upgradable unit and focus on buying a smaller case if you want an ITX, otherwise, don't limit your search to ITX if you want a micro-ATX case.  How's you settle on the GD4 anyway? 

How about heat? Should I go for a 65W or a 100W AMD?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tordles View Post

How about heat? Should I go for a 65W or a 100W AMD?

65W is probably the better way to go if you want something quiet. I run an A10-5700 65W APU with a Big Shuriken 2 as a cooler. I hooked up all 3 Silverstone case fans to a single 3-pin fan header on the motherboard and run them at about 550rpm, then the fan on the Big Shuriken 2 at about 700rpm. Dead silent. I only hear the CPU fan kick in when it's above 1500rpm, but the case fan I can hear once it goes above 800rpm so don't run those full blast (i.e. using the 3-pin to molex converter that ships with the case).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page