Remedial HTPC questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize for the remedial questions, but I built a HTPC in 2010. It has a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H mobo. I have it connected to a Marantz SR-5007 receiver and 2.0 speaker system. I am interested in getting the best sound quality off this and I have all my music as Apple lossless. Do I need to upgrade my soundcard? Also, to get audio at reasonable listening levels with the same output from my receiver as with a CD, I have to have the volume dialed up all the way. Is this bad for the receiver, speakers, or fidelity? I am currently outputting over HDMI.

Per the audio setup, it only outputs in 2 channel (thinking about upgrading to 5.1 soonish), and in DVD quality audio. Is upgrading the soundcard even worth it? If so, what soundcard does this board recommend?

Additionally, is it possible to have a VGA hookup to a monitor for when I don't need/want to display on my TV and then switch the input to the HDMI for movie watching?

Marantz SR5007 | KEF R500 | Panasonic P50ST50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I am NO audiophile but would suggest you allow the PC to pass the audio as digital over to the Marantz for it to do the decoding and volume control.  It's 7.2 capable once you add the speakers and is a great brand!  That done, you can add a second display via VGA to the PC and a pair o' speakers - set your HDMI display and HDMI Audio as DEFAULT and whenever they're not on the PC will switch to the VGA and analog speakers automatically -- I have the same mobo!  Oh, I did install a HD6450 (originally a HD4550) to handle the graphics better than the on-board HD4200 it has, not to mention the upgraded video card ($20-30) will pass the 7.1 HD audio formats.

post #3 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I am NO audiophile but would suggest you allow the PC to pass the audio as digital over to the Marantz for it to do the decoding and volume control.  It's 7.2 capable once you add the speakers and is a great brand!  That done, you can add a second display via VGA to the PC and a pair o' speakers - set your HDMI display and HDMI Audio as DEFAULT and whenever they're not on the PC will switch to the VGA and analog speakers automatically -- I have the same mobo!  Oh, I did install a HD6450 (originally a HD4550) to handle the graphics better than the on-board HD4200 it has, not to mention the upgraded video card ($20-30) will pass the 7.1 HD audio formats.

Thank you for the feedback! Uh, how do I do that? I had my system setup with the HDMI and VGA, but it defaulted to S/PDIF when I had the VGA in, which wasn't connected. It would not output to HDMI, nor let me switch to HDMI.

Marantz SR5007 | KEF R500 | Panasonic P50ST50
post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Download a stable version of the CCC from AMD's site for your OS - you are running a MS OS, right?  I'm running CCC 13.02 and when it asks to install select CUSTOM and pick all the boxes, especially noticing the HDMI Audio Driver... that's the means to pass SPDIF via HDMI to your Marantz.  The on-board HD4200 will pass only 5.1 since it's not a HD5xxx or higher.  Since HDMI is both video & audio you can't have HDMI audio w/VGA display, although you can have HDMI display w/SPDIF audio! 

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page