Adding noise to deal with posterization on plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have just started to explore this and so far my results have made me very pleased.

I am using a Panasonic Viera ST30 and overall had been satisfied with the picture. Except for an issue I could not pinpoint how to even describe.
After much searching I had determined it is posterization. Also finding that this is inherent to plasma technology and would need to learn to live with it on this set.
I had eventually seen it discussed that people have used ffdshow to add some noise to the image. So far with just a few minutes of messing with settings the problems I have had with posterization are nearly eliminated by adding a bit of noise to the image.

I have yet to even begin to determine what the ideal amount to add is, or even fully understand the settings.
Was hoping either to simply share this with other HTPC users or to perhaps get some suggestions on what setting values to explore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyav View Post

I have just started to explore this and so far my results have made me very pleased.

I am using a Panasonic Viera ST30 and overall had been satisfied with the picture. Except for an issue I could not pinpoint how to even describe.
After much searching I had determined it is posterization. Also finding that this is inherent to plasma technology and would need to learn to live with it on this set.
I had eventually seen it discussed that people have used ffdshow to add some noise to the image. So far with just a few minutes of messing with settings the problems I have had with posterization are nearly eliminated by adding a bit of noise to the image.

I have yet to even begin to determine what the ideal amount to add is, or even fully understand the settings.
Was hoping either to simply share this with other HTPC users or to perhaps get some suggestions on what setting values to explore.

I think there is something wrong with your TV if you are seeing true posterization. Have you calabrated the TV or done something wrong with the settings? Is your HTPC set to 16 bit (or lower) color depth?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the tv has been calibrated. The source is 0-255 from madvr.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have posterization from other sources such as a blueray player or game console? If so, then it still sounds like a problem with the TV. I have a Panasonic plasma, and it has much much better color gradation than any LCD that I've used or seen.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Panasonic TVs don't take 0-255 PC RGB video. You must force your MadVR or video card to output 16-235 video range. You will have sever black crush with current setup.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely don't have black crush. Even in the options I can set HDMI to be 0-255...

post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Do you have posterization from other sources such as a blueray player or game console? If so, then it still sounds like a problem with the TV. I have a Panasonic plasma, and it has much much better color gradation than any LCD that I've used or seen.

Yes I have tried multiple sources. I certainly wouldn't call it bad. But noticeable that's for sure.

Edit: tried to make a video but I don't have a camera that can capture it with any meaningful level of detail.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I have tried multiple sources. I certainly wouldn't call it bad. But noticeable that's for sure.

How long have you had the TV? I'd definitely contact Panasonic about it.
Shinyav likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
OMG, YOU JUST MADE MY DAY.

I was puloing my hair out due to this posterization issue. I purchased Panny plasma (P55VT50) this April. It is a fantastic display, dont get me wrong. I'm now saved from the VT20 floating blacks. But I noticed this strange color banding, oily face issue and as much as I fiddled with various settings I was not bale to get rid of it at all.

Adding just a little bit of noise gets rid of it.
It is a compromise for sure, I added just a little uniform noise with ffdshow not to otherwise ruin a contrasty and vivid picture; so the most offending scenes still display it - if I look for it, but otherwise its gone. SO SIMPLE.

THANKSSSSS!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page