Windows 8 - Tips & tricks for HTPC usage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is a thread for sharing all those small but important tips and tricks for setting up (and operating) a perfectly running htpc on Windows 8 platform. It can be a link to a good guide or a description of something you discovered on your own.

Let's start with a few.

Autologin
Guide for setting up autologin

Kiosk Mode
Guide for setting up kiosk mode
Some additional comments in this thread

Media autoplay settings
[Windows + w] with search text "autoplay", first hit (Autoplay) will give you access to all autoplay settings.

Replacing Media Center Interface With Windows 8 start screen
See this guide for launching Media Center sections directly from the start screen

Remote desktop access
To enable remote desktop access to your Windows 8 htpc, [Windows + w] with seach text "allow remote access" and enable "Allow remote desktop connections to this computer". Administrators are automatically added to the allowed users, others have to be manually added.

Remote desktop without locking user session on disconnect
Use command "tscon 1 /dest:console" in admin mode to disconnect and your session is not locked after disconnect.

Shortcut keys
Nice comprehensive and compact list of Windows 8 shortcut keys: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archive/2012/08/28/windows-8-shortcuts.aspx.
My favorites are [Windows + w] for settings search and [Windows + q] for apps search. And of course [Windows + d] for standard desktop.

Start-up applications
Start task manager [Ctrl + Shift + Esc] and the start-up applications are listed in the Start-up tab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What's that I hear?....... echo..... echo..... (sorry, couldn't resist!) wink.gif

Seriously, let the T&T's roll.....
post #3 of 13 Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

No avalanche of tips here wink.gif But don't really understand why since I've been running my Plex/MPC-HC/PowerDVD htpc perfectly for the last six months. I'm not saying Win8 is better than Win7 but at least all that I've thrown to it has been working very nicely.

And back to business. Just added a tip for using remote desktop together with autlogin without locking the desktop when disconnecting.
Source: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/0c9318bf-47b7-4286-b957-4f972b0d15cf/

Just use command "tscon 1 /dest:console" in admin mode to disconnect and your session is not locked after disconnect. Personally I created a small cmd script with "Run as administrator" ticked.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
My "in" gif didn't work ^ frown.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I think one of the problems (other than Windows 8 being cr*p), is that unless you got the 'free' MC offer before the end of Jan, you know have to pay extra for 8MC which we got as standard in Win7 Home Premium or above. This little gesture from MS (even though it's not that expensive) just shows their contempt for MC by pushing it so far to the edge it's almost fallen off the map, and they expect you to buy the 'Pro' version of 8 as well before you can use it. Geez. Someone at MS got paid to come up with that idea!

I'm sure a few have taken the plunge, but for a dedicated HTPC, 8 just doesn't make sense, even though, dare I say it, that godawful kiddie block tile thing would make a good media center interface (shame it doesn't work properly with the MC remote controls, even the MS RC6 one!).

This is why we aren't awash with 8MC tricks and tips!
post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

I think one of the problems (other than Windows 8 being cr*p), is that unless you got the 'free' MC offer before the end of Jan, you know have to pay extra for 8MC which we got as standard in Win7 Home Premium or above. This little gesture from MS (even though it's not that expensive) just shows their contempt for MC by pushing it so far to the edge it's almost fallen off the map, and they expect you to buy the 'Pro' version of 8 as well before you can use it. Geez. Someone at MS got paid to come up with that idea!

I'm sure a few have taken the plunge, but for a dedicated HTPC, 8 just doesn't make sense, even though, dare I say it, that godawful kiddie block tile thing would make a good media center interface (shame it doesn't work properly with the MC remote controls, even the MS RC6 one!).

This is why we aren't awash with 8MC tricks and tips!

This is just the type of Internet fueled misinformation that has hobbled users on Windows 8 from the beginning.

First regarding the charge for MC. It's $10. If your building a MC system it will be the least expensive part of your build. But it's also $10 for a reason. Up until Windows Vista, Microsoft did not pay for your MPEG license royalty, thinking that it was included in any DVD program you added (most all systems of that era came with DVD software.- many still do). For Vista and 7 that changed, Due to the fact that many users today have no need for DVD movie playback or in some cases a DVD drive at all, Microsoft has returned to it's previous stand, MPEG is required for MC and hence the $10 charge. It's not greed as implied or a lack of interest. Here's some news- things cost money.

As to the need for the pro version, Again we are talking $99. A small price to pay for what you are getting in return. In Windows 8, Microsoft listened to it's customers and reduced the number of versions to only 3 (2 at retail). Less versions requires less price granularity. Most people only need what is available in standard so that is the base. All of the retail functional upgrades fall to pro. Given that the equivalent version of Windows 7 is selling today on Amazon for $268, and that most people will never need any more than what came with their system, Microsoft allowing you to upgrade for $99 to the full pro is a nice price I think.

Then there is this assertion that "Windows 8 being cr*p", just because you do not like how a product is designed does not make it crap. It makes it different. It is also different for a reason. That reason is that computers are changing and Windows 8 and it's successors will be around for a long time. There is lots of change to come. Did they go too far in trying to force everyone to work through the start screen even on desktops and special case systems like HTPC's? Yes. That's why in 8.1 we will see boot to desktop.

Rather than offer biting, riveting feedback like "that godawful kiddie block tile thing" one might want to offer constructive objective advice as to where Microsoft should take the product in your opinion, they are after all listening.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I took the offer in the beginning of the year to upgrade from WinXP to Win8 for less than 30eur. After three days of using it I did the same for all our home desktops. I even upgraded one Win7 just to get the common look and feel for the rest of the family. Combined with synchronising profiles and MS cloud services the end user experience is best so far. At least here in Finland you can get Win8 Pro upgrade for 60eur while Win7 OEM is 100eur so for a new build Win8 makes sense.

My current htpc is a kind of a mixed general workhorse running all the basic htpc frontend/player apps (Plex Media Center, MPC-HC, PowerDVD), the management apps (DVD Profiler, Handbrake, Filebot, Subtitle Workshop, MKVMerge etc.) and also currently Plex Media Server. Besides running all these flawlessly Win8 also introduces some nice and small things for the daily operations like the enhanced task manager and file transfer dialog with transfer speed trend. If I had a need for a light weight htpc I would look for ATV2 with Plex.

And btw I'm all for Plex so the thread was meant to be for using Win8 as a general htpc platform.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'll add some constructive criticism re: W8.

1) MS has strategically decided that it's in everybody's best interest to have a common interface across all devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones). This is incorrect and a mistake. The interface needs to be tailored to the the device. Various devices are used differently. As Apple said, it's the toaster and the fridge.

2) Based on strategy decision #1, MS has decided that the interface for this convergence will be touch. This is incorrect and a mistake. We will all be long dead before desktops (desktop PCs, servers, HTPCs, etc.) are obsolete and even longer before people manipulate their desktop by touching the monitor.

Bottom line, MS has made a strategic mistake. Tactical mistakes, ie, start button, tiles, etc. are not serious mistakes and are actually the correct decisions if you assume the strategic decisions are correct. Unless they rethink the strategy, over the years, MS is going to lose control of the desktop/laptop market. I happen to believe that they are so late to the portable device market that they will not succeed there either. Apple and Google have that wrapped up just like MS had desktops/laptops wrapped up for decades.

Sell MS stock. This can be, but will not be, corrected and W8.1 is all the evidence you need. Trying to fix strategic mistakes with tactical solutions.

IMHO

Bob
post #10 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee View Post

I'll add some constructive criticism re: W8.

1) MS has strategically decided that it's in everybody's best interest to have a common interface across all devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones). This is incorrect and a mistake. The interface needs to be tailored to the the device. Various devices are used differently. As Apple said, it's the toaster and the fridge.

2) Based on strategy decision #1, MS has decided that the interface for this convergence will be touch. This is incorrect and a mistake. We will all be long dead before desktops (desktop PCs, servers, HTPCs, etc.) are obsolete and even longer before people manipulate their desktop by touching the monitor.

Bottom line, MS has made a strategic mistake. Tactical mistakes, ie, start button, tiles, etc. are not serious mistakes and are actually the correct decisions if you assume the strategic decisions are correct. Unless they rethink the strategy, over the years, MS is going to lose control of the desktop/laptop market. I happen to believe that they are so late to the portable device market that they will not succeed there either. Apple and Google have that wrapped up just like MS had desktops/laptops wrapped up for decades.

Sell MS stock. This can be, but will not be, corrected and W8.1 is all the evidence you need. Trying to fix strategic mistakes with tactical solutions.

This is not "constructive criticism", it is opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee View Post

IMHO
This is the only part of your post that is fact.

BTW, did you read the Topic Title? Windows 8 - Tips & tricks for HTPC usage
None of your stated opinion meets the topic title.
Please start your own Topic with a possible title of, 'hey, lets diss Windows 8' and have a go at it all you want.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 128
One thing I did is documented here, which makes Windows 8 perfect for me:

Other than that though, my setup was mostly simple. Installed Windows 8 Pro, added the Media Center features, and then used the Shark007 pack for Windows 8.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #12 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Not really a trick or even a tip but man this was so irritating thing to fix so if anyone ever faces this, hope this helps.

I had been experiencing wierd behavious every once in a while when using RDP to my Win8 htpc. The mouse moved but I couldn't click anything. The keyboard worked but only within applications and also alt-tab worked. Only reboot or logout/login fixed the problem. First I thought it was the popular "stucking windows key in RDP session" but it was not...

To cut to the chase, the problem was in the Search Indexer which failed to start and whenever I hit Windows+F, the whole system came tumbling down. Well not the whole system, only explorer.exe became not responding but this caused all the weird behaviour. There were no error messages of any kind displayed but in the event log there were a lot of following error messages:
Code:
The Windows Search Service has failed to remove the old search index. Internal error <0,0x80070005>. 
The Windows Search service terminated with the following error: Access is denied.
The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 9 time(s). 
The server {9E175B68-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

After finding these, it didn't take too long to find this guide for fixing the problem:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85803-index-windows-search-service.html

However performing these steps was not enough. I still got the "Access denied" message on reboot. I took a look on the permissions and the directories created steps 4 and 5 did not have system or administrators listed as the pre-existing Applications directory did. So I added those with Full-control, rebooted and the Search service succesfully started.

One could ask why would you want to run Search indexer on a htpc, well you wouldn't. I thought I had disabled it during initial installation but I guess I missed that step...
post #13 of 13 Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Kiosk mode setup guide
http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-run-boot-xbmc-startup-windows-8/

If you want to run only a single program in kiosk mode, this guide will help you to do just that. It prevents the whole metro/traditional-desktop UI from running. I've used it with Plex Home Theater and enhanced it by using a script as the "custom user interface" application which shutdowns the machine if Plex Home Theater exits. Normally I just let my NUC-htpc go to sleep and wake it through CEC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page