Dust - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Dust
josh_parker123's Avatar josh_parker123 09:09 AM 03-03-2013
After getting my new origenae m10 I have a few concerns about dust getting into the case. Maybe I'm just noticing it more but the case always seems very dusty and there are 2 pretty large holed areas on the top, does anyone know of any good covers or things that attract dust to stop it being an issue ?

Postmoderndesign's Avatar Postmoderndesign 01:22 PM 03-03-2013
A clean room for the computer will help. Vacuum and use one of those swifter dusters. Open up the computer from time to time and blow it out with canned air.

You do need to have air circulate through the computer. Heat can kill a computer faster than dust.
josh_parker123's Avatar josh_parker123 01:37 PM 03-03-2013
I do all of the above but the room is just prone to dust, I'm sure I will come across some filters etc , I was just looking for suggestions
vladd's Avatar vladd 06:57 PM 03-03-2013
Do you have a fan in the side vent? If you do, set it to pull air into the case. This will create over-pressure and the air will be vented through the top and back. You would then just need to put a filter on the side covering the fan. I've found this to be the best solution with my cases and I have 4 cats.
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 07:53 PM 03-03-2013
vladd's Avatar vladd 08:48 PM 03-03-2013
Not going to join another forum and post twice just to see an image, sorry.
staknhalo's Avatar staknhalo 08:49 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Not going to join another forum and post twice just to see an image, sorry.

olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 09:06 PM 03-03-2013
Sorry, forgot they changed the rules (although MYCE is a great forum for storage and optical disk related info). Here's what 3 cats and keeping the tower on the floor will do:

vladd's Avatar vladd 10:25 PM 03-03-2013
Yup, that looks familiar!

Re MyCE: I browse it from time to time, I've just had no need to join yet. (I spend way too much time on forums as it is)
josh_parker123's Avatar josh_parker123 02:56 AM 03-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Do you have a fan in the side vent? If you do, set it to pull air into the case. This will create over-pressure and the air will be vented through the top and back. You would then just need to put a filter on the side covering the fan. I've found this to be the best solution with my cases and I have 4 cats.

Sounds like a good idea I fancied replacing the side fan anyway, bit of a silence but. Shame silent 60mm fans aren't really an option
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 05:28 AM 03-04-2013
Just be thankful you never open the case to see this:

No, it is not mine or anyone's I know.
lovekeiiy's Avatar lovekeiiy 05:52 AM 03-04-2013
holy bat turds, that's nasty. I wonder if the machine even worked. I thought the PC I picked up used at county surplus was bad, LOL.
vladd's Avatar vladd 10:01 AM 03-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You win.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 10:14 AM 03-04-2013
That takes the cake.. There's probably some in there actually!

This reminds me, I haven't cleaned the filters on my PC in about 3 or 4 months. It is probably about time to do that and maybe blow out the HTPC but it doesn't get as bad as it is up off the floor in an enclosed cabinet. I have 120 mm fans ventilating the cabinet but suppose those could use some filters. I just haven't got to that yet.
captain_video's Avatar captain_video 12:16 PM 03-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Holy crap! That looks like the inside of the Bat Cave! eek.gif That should be titled "Revenge of the Dust Bunnies!"
StardogChampion's Avatar StardogChampion 08:41 PM 03-04-2013
I took home a pile of PCs from my daughters' school last year to diagnose them. Most of them looked like that picture above with all the dust. No surprise there were so many dead PSUs.
Up
Mobile  Desktop