What kind of speeds do you guys get on your FlexRAID pool? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Getting some ridiculous numbers on my FlexRAID pool. Wanted to see if others are seeing similar speeds. Some here said this was running in the cache. Well, that cannot be possible.

image096f.jpg

image097hk.jpg

I posted this on the official FlexRAID forum expecting an explanation but Brahim claims this is a "secret sauce" which he can't reveal. When I forcefully demanded an explanation and accused him of implementing bogus features, my post was deleted. Something shady is going on here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
A FlexRAID pool does not make your drivers significantly faster. It can perform a bit of pre-fetching, but in the overall transfer speed that doesn't matter. There is no striping in FlexRAID, so it can't read one file from multiple discs for speed up (like a RAID 5/6 could)

My guess is that the IO patterns in such benchmarks are either hitting some kind of cache, or FlexRAID detects the benchmark attempt and artificially speeds it up.

If you want a real world test and have a SSD in that system, then run some read/write operations by copying files around from/to the ssd (to ensure the source/destination is fast enough), or if you have a mingw/cygwin environment with the "dd" tool, thats usually also good for simple read/write speed tests.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
It's writing and reading from multiple discs. Basically his "secret sauce" is providing false benchmark results.
post #4 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Right.

A true test is just copy or paste to or from it - using SSD as the other destination source.

I like terra copy better than the standards windows copy paste function but either one would do.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

It's writing and reading from multiple discs. Basically his "secret sauce" is providing false benchmark results.

These are regular hard drives. Even if the benchmark was reading from multiple discs at the same time, there's no way they could produce upwards of 2GBps read speeds.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

I posted this on the official FlexRAID forum expecting an explanation but Brahim claims this is a "secret sauce" which he can't reveal. When I forcefully demanded an explanation and accused him of implementing bogus features, my post was deleted. Something shady is going on here...

Why should he or anyone else be demanded to explain why the benchmarking tool that you chose to use doesn't provide accurate numbers?? How many other benchmarks did you try? How many do you know of? Have you even bothered to just do a large file copy like nearly every one of us suggests?

I don't even know why this was posted in the support forum, but his reply was rather silly. I can't tell if he really has that big of a superiority complex, or (more likely) he was just being cheeky.

Is there a reason you have so much faith in the atto benchmark tool?
post #7 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Why should he or anyone else be demanded to explain why the benchmarking tool that you chose to use doesn't provide accurate numbers?? How many other benchmarks did you try? How many do you know of? Have you even bothered to just do a large file copy like nearly every one of us suggests?

I don't even know why this was posted in the support forum, but his reply was rather silly. I can't tell if he really has that big of a superiority complex, or (more likely) he was just being cheeky.

Is there a reason you have so much faith in the atto benchmark tool?

I have seen similar sequential read/write numbers in CrystalDiskMark and Blackmagic Disk Speedtest. I get 80MBps-100MBps in real world tests, which is what I should be getting in these benches, or something close. The astronomic differences between synthetic and real world tests is what's confusing me. There's definitely something going on in FlexRAID that's messing with these benchmarking tools.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

These are regular hard drives. Even if the benchmark was reading from multiple discs at the same time, there's no way they could produce upwards of 2GBps read speeds.

I can't see the benchmark you posted(at work). 2GBps or 2gbps would make me think it is in memory. Either way it is a false benchmark that doesn't reflect reality in the slightest.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

The astronomic differences between synthetic and real world tests is what's confusing me

I see, you may get better feedback by phrasing the question this way. I don't ever run these tests, and I'm not very knowledgeable in regards to what they check

I'm sure that there are users in this forum who can better explain these tools and what could trick them, but they might or might not be using flexraid

Just my $.02

Also, I doubt he's gone and "programmed" a way to trick synthetic benchmarks, but if he did that would make me laugh. Taking a S. Jobs approach to marketing, with "magic" smile.gif
post #10 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm on my phone but I'd suggest trying a larger test size. Try 1GB sized test.

It should slowdown when the memory and cache prefetch expire and show you a more realistic score.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'm on my phone but I'd suggest trying a larger test size. Try 1GB sized test.

It should slowdown when the memory and cache prefetch expire and show you a more realistic score.

Check the charts. I tested both 1GB and 2GB.

I have an interesting idea to test FlexRAID some more. Will report back with results.
post #12 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some interesting developments. I noticed significant spikes in RAM usage ONLY when HDD benchmarking tools were ran on the FlexRAID pool. Such spikes weren't present when the benchmarks were ran on a drive outside the pool. That would probably mean FlexRAID offloads the benchmarks to the RAM when it detects such tools. Mfusick might have guessed correctly. These numbers are deceiving. Not sure if it was intentionally coded in by Brahim.

EDIT
Lol, I am seeing a lot more CPU activity also when benchmarks are ran on the FlexRAID pool.
post #13 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Some interesting developments. I noticed significant spikes in RAM usage ONLY when HDD benchmarking tools were ran on the FlexRAID pool. Such spikes weren't present when the benchmarks were ran on a drive outside the pool. That would probably mean FlexRAID offloads the benchmarks to the RAM when it detects such tools. Mfusick might have guessed correctly. These numbers are deceiving. Not sure if it was intentionally coded in by Brahim.

EDIT
Lol, I am seeing a lot more CPU activity also when benchmarks are ran on the FlexRAID pool.

Using ATTO - Memory jumps about 150MB and CPU goes up on my system. Flexraid is writing to disk. However - As with you, speeds are simply too fast for spindle based disk.
Using SQLIO - Memory doesn't change, CPU usage goes up. Flexraid is writing to disk. However - speeds are inline with what I would expect from spindle drives.
CIFS Transfer 66GB File - Memory doesn't change, CPU usage goes up. Flexraid is writing to disk, getting around 90MB/sec.

Looky here!
post #14 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
post #15 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Ahh. Benchmarks.

Gotta love 'em!

Ain't they great!

Looky here!
post #16 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
- significant spikes in RAM usage ONLY when HDD benchmarking tools were ran on the FlexRAID pool.

+

- Such spikes weren't present when the benchmarks were ran on a drive outside the pool.

=

That would probably mean FlexRAID offloads the benchmarks to the RAM when it detects such tools.

??

You didn't stop to think that maybe that IS how Flexraid works, by caching in memory, whether bench marking or not?
post #17 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

- significant spikes in RAM usage ONLY when HDD benchmarking tools were ran on the FlexRAID pool.

+

- Such spikes weren't present when the benchmarks were ran on a drive outside the pool.

=

That would probably mean FlexRAID offloads the benchmarks to the RAM when it detects such tools.

??

You didn't stop to think that maybe that IS how Flexraid works, by caching in memory, whether bench marking or not?

The only time I saw an increase in Flexraid RAM usage was when I ran ATTO locally. It jumped up 150MB or so. Running SQLIO locally and a CIFS transfer from my workstation had no impact no Flexraids memory usage.

Looky here!
post #18 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Mhm I did. Assuming FlexRAID does cache to RAM during file transfers, it doesn't seem to help a whole lot. If it did cache to memory, I would assume transferring files would be faster, but it's not. The speeds are about the same when compared to a bare drive, which it should be and not something ludicrous as the benchmarks are suggesting. Caching to memory probably is not the only factor in play here, if it's a factor at all. If it was, real-world tests vs synthetic tests should have produced similar numbers. Maybe I am just worrying too much about something that doesn't matter a whole lot.
post #19 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

The only time I noticed an increase in Flexraid RAM usage was when I ran ATTO locally. It jumped up 150MB or so. Running SQLIO locally and a CIFS transfer from my workstation had no impact no Flexraids memory usage.

Are you sure? I noticed higher memory usage when transferring files over to the pool.
post #20 of 28 Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think we will find a clear answer unless the dev wants to admit it.

-

post #21 of 28 Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brahim won't give us a clear answer. He actually got angry and gave me a warning for trying to force an answer out of him lol.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you ever retest this ?

-

post #23 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Brahim won't give us a clear answer. He actually got angry and gave me a warning for trying to force an answer out of him lol.
Wow, I'm safe to go with snapraid. Nothing to lose if I would lose...
post #24 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Wow, I'm safe to go with snapraid. Nothing to lose if I would lose...

Meh, I understand why he was angry. He was only trying to protect his intellectual property but I was trying to force an answer out of him. Because of this argument with him however, I now have a better understanding of how FlexRAID works.

FlexRAID is still the best snapshot based RAID solution IMO. I wouldn't go with any other product.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you ever retest this ?

Tested this just now. Same results as before

image206k.jpg
post #26 of 28 Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Meh, I understand why he was angry. He was only trying to protect his intellectual property but I was trying to force an answer out of him.

Patents protect IP. Being rude to customers is just being a dick. Your question was legitimate. In my experience, "secret sauce" only comes in two flavors: ******** and snake oil. Actual wizardry (i.e.: 0x5f3759df method) can usually be adequately described without revealing the technical implementation.
post #27 of 28 Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It was never determined the reason ? Or was it determined to be a ram as a cache ?

-

post #28 of 28 Old 08-19-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was never determined the reason ? Or was it determined to be a ram as a cache ?

RAM as a cache.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page