Upgrade to external Blu-Ray - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 03-10-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've figured out it works as long as I don't click 'cinema mode', nor click 'register'. I was able to register under the media suite icon. I did contact the tech-support... hey maybe they'll give me somthin for free... but doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I didn't mean to mislead or confuse anyone. A lot of what I spoke about was more towards BR playback. There is some overlap for DVD playback.

As mentioned above, for DVD playback, Media Center will handle it just fine. MS payed the licenses for it and it's included in the OS cost. If you're having trouble with it's playback, just install something like Shark007 or K-Lite codec packs.

As for clarification, what I meant was to get playback for BR using an alternate player such as VLC, MPC, Potplayer, etc, you'll most likely need something like AnyDVD HD to be able to be able to play the movie. In addition, this solution would, most likely, only be able to the movie, no menus, no special features such ad BD Live, and so forth; although you may be able to see the features if you found the video file though something like File Explorer. The only bad thing, AnyDVD HD is not free. If you were to go that route, I would recommend the life time subscription; I believe they started reoffering. On a side note, although it makes it easier to "steal" commercial discs, it's actually useful for things such as this.

As for the BR player suites, I just said you would truncated version. This is very typical since the drive itself costs the same as the full fledge suite itself. I highly doubt the suite markers, who are not part of the drive markers are going to give whole thing away at a highly discounted price. In my experience since optical drives, they give you enough of the program to do the basics, such as just movie playback, but no 3D movie playback. It's just enough to entice you to buy an upgrade pack for the rest of the bells of whistles. I just don't like the fact, and not uncommon, that in around years, there is usually some mandatory upgrade you have to buy to be able to play the movies. Thus, it's not a fix cost compared to something like a regular stand alone player.

As for your issue, my concern is more you have something kind of drive conflict happening. I don't understand why there is cyber media suite and PowerDVD. I would uninstall both, and just install one of the other. You may want to go with PowerDVD. I think it may have Media Center integration which may make if more WAF friendly

As for stealing, this is one of those situation, you don't have steal to break the law. Under the DRM regulation, it literally just says using anything to circumvent encryption. So, if you want to make a backup of favorite disc so it'll always be in good condition, but let the kids treat horribly the copy, you're breaking the law. Personally, I just rather rip my media then it's always available as long as the server is on and I have LAN or internet connection. And have you tried those "digital copy" disc you can get. They're hassle. I find it's easier to make my digital copy and I can use it on any and all my mobile devices, Thus, you don't have steal or give away the material to be naughty in the eyes of the law.
post #33 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'll take my chances with this Cyberlink media suite 8 with PowerDVD 10. When I get some blank BDs to burn, I'll see how it does. When I get some comercial BDs I'll see how it does. Of course Cyberlink offers the upgrade to 12 at a discounted cost -- but agreed this still costs almost as must as the player, even with the discount. There is also the option of DVDfab mentioned above, if I have trouble. Thank you LoveKeiily for you thoughts.

Considering what seems to have happened to my StarWarsEp2 disc... I wish I had copied it, it seems. I can't get it to play anywhere. When examined under the light, I can see some little tiny scratches, but nothing major like I've seen when getting Netlix DVDs in the mail that still play. I'm sure this is a question for another thread, but any ideas for--- how to get a disc to read, that will not?

Another issue I've run into when putting my old DVDs into my player, and testing on my HD Screens, was one my DVDs was... I had to look up the word for it. - 'Windowboxed???' - 'StarTrek Generations' - None of the software players I had could adjust it - no setting in VLC I could find. I might have been able to adjust the scan with my HDTV, but couldn't find any software fix for it. --- None of the latter issues was the fault of the BD player purchased. --- again this would be another thread in itself.
post #34 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stay away from PowerDVD. Nothing but problems (just check the Cyberlink forums right now). I highly recommend ArcSoft's TotalMediaTheatre.
post #35 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Stay away from PowerDVD. Nothing but problems (just check the Cyberlink forums right now). I highly recommend ArcSoft's TotalMediaTheatre.

I would recommend the opposite. My my HTPC set up PDVD 12 Ultra worked better than TMT5/6 and slightly better than WinDVD 11 Pro. But that's just what worked best on my computer. I think there's a best suite for each computer/configuration and that's mine. But I got sick of all of it and went back to a standalone BDP. It wasn't a total waste, though. My computer has a better graphics card and BD capabilities. smile.gif
post #36 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

I don't understand why there is cyber media suite and PowerDVD. I would uninstall both, and just install one of the other.
PowerDVD is part of Cyber Media Suite (InstaBurn, Power2Go, PowerProducer, etc). The install disc that came with my drive didn't have an option to install just one part unfortunately. However, in the uninstall process for Media Suite you can select to uninstall the extras and leave PowerDVD installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

Another issue I've run into when putting my old DVDs into my player, and testing on my HD Screens, was one my DVDs was... I had to look up the word for it. - 'Windowboxed???' - 'StarTrek Generations' - None of the software players I had could adjust it - no setting in VLC I could find.
Did you have the player in fullscreen? (using VLC, press the 'F' key for fullscreen) If the 'Always Fit Window' option is selected in the video settings for VLC, movies shot in 2.35:1 will appear windowboxed when the player isn't fullscreen.
If it's still windowboxed when the player is fullscreen, then perhaps one of the other video settings in VLC was accidentally changed... Aspect Ratio, Crop, etc, check that they are set to 'Default'.
post #37 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boournz View Post

Did you have the player in fullscreen? (using VLC, press the 'F' key for fullscreen) If the 'Always Fit Window' option is selected in the video settings for VLC, movies shot in 2.35:1 will appear windowboxed when the player isn't fullscreen.
If it's still windowboxed when the player is fullscreen, then perhaps one of the other video settings in VLC was accidentally changed... Aspect Ratio, Crop, etc, check that they are set to 'Default'.

I think you have not heard of what windowboxed is... I didn't either. I needed an education. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windowbox_(film) But one of my DVDs I found is in this format. It is quite annoying. It didn't matter what mode, or how full-screen I played it.... what aspect ratio I messed with... I tried stuff like doubling the image, but that just threw the image off the screen during playback. The problem is --- The sidebars are actually in the DVDs recorded display. There were apparently a few DVDs recorded this way in the early days. Ultimately an 'always fit' mode wouldn't work because the bars are in the Video.
post #38 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I think you have not heard of what windowboxed is... I didn't either. I needed an education. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windowbox_(film) But one of my DVDs I found is in this format. It is quite annoying. It didn't matter what mode, or how full-screen I played it.... what aspect ratio I messed with... I tried stuff like doubling the image, but that just threw the image off the screen during playback. The problem is --- The sidebars are actually in the DVDs recorded display. There were apparently a few DVDs recorded this way in the early days. Ultimately an 'always fit' mode wouldn't work because the bars are in the Video.
I'm familiar with windowboxed, black bars on the top and bottom and left and right sides. Star Trek Generations was filmed in 2.35:1 AR so on a 16:9 display it should only have black bars on the top and bottom (letterboxed). Why that DVD is formatted to windowboxed, I don't know.

If all other DVD's are displaying correctly, then I'd say the TV/Display settings should be ok. The only trick I can think of to get rid of the side black bars with VLC would possibly be to set the AR to Default and set Crop to 16:9, but I don't have a windowboxed movie to test with, so I'm just guessing at this point.
post #39 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm familiar with windowboxed, black bars on the top and bottom and left and right sides. Star Trek Generations was filmed in 2.35:1 AR so on a 16:9 display it should only have black bars on the top and bottom (letterboxed). Why that DVD is formatted to windowboxed, I don't know.

If all other DVD's are displaying correctly, then I'd say the TV/Display settings should be ok. The only trick I can think of to get rid of the side black bars with VLC would possibly be to set the AR to Default and set Crop to 16:9, but I don't have a windowboxed movie to test with, so I'm just guessing at this point.
This DVD is from 1994. Although the DVD claims to be widescreen, and the window does look that way, I believe they never considered it to be played on anything other than a 4x3 screen in widescreen format. The only thing I would see that would work is: Aspect ratio locked --- But zoom controls that are configurable. The problem is: Zoom always comes up with 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x <--- It needs to be a slide bar... I do believe in VLC you can script stuff like this. But ideally with a slide bar, the user can zoom the movie to the edge of the screen, even though the software thinks the video is already past the edge (although black).
post #40 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This DVD is from 1994. Although the DVD claims to be widescreen, and the window does look that way, I believe they never considered it to be played on anything other than a 4x3 screen in widescreen format. The only thing I would see that would work is: Aspect ratio locked --- But zoom controls that are configurable. The problem is: Zoom always comes up with 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x <--- It needs to be a slide bar... I do believe in VLC you can script stuff like this. But ideally with a slide bar, the user can zoom the movie to the edge of the screen, even though the software thinks the video is already past the edge (although black).

see this, there is a solution.

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103822&p=351440&hilit=windowboxed#p351440

Edit: For future readers that have an issue with 'Windowboxing'--- I misspoke above in saying that the bars are encoded in the video on the left and right. There are actually on the top and bottom. When using the hot-keys in VLC and cropping you need to hit Alt-r (top) and Alt-c (bottom) until the picture has the desired results. Example: Each time you hit Alt-r you crop one pixel off the top of the video--- but you lose no actual movie video, because the a Windowboxed video will just have black bar on top. As you crop, you'll notice that the picture gets wider (but no changes occur to aspect ratio)
post #41 of 54 Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... Considering what seems to have happened to my StarWarsEp2 disc... I wish I had copied it, it seems. I can't get it to play anywhere. When examined under the light, I can see some little tiny scratches, but nothing major like I've seen when getting Netlix DVDs in the mail that still play. ...

I would try the disc in various players. I think your disc got borked more than scratched. None the less, I have moderate success with just doing a good cleaning. Get some good window cleaner, a soft no abrasive cloth, and clean the disc surface. Do not go in circles. Go center out when cleaning. Sometimes there's some kind of "fog" that causes the laser to not hit the disc correctly.

If you still think it's scratches causing the problem, have the disc resurfaced. Basically, they'll take a small layer of the clear plastic off that protects the information surface. There are services online, or you can try your local music store. They may have a machine. You'll need to watch out with the store because sometimes all they have is the machines that you can pick up for $20 or $40. The good machines cost a lot more money, but work really well.
robertkjr3d likes this.
post #42 of 54 Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

Quote:

... Considering what seems to have happened to my StarWarsEp2 disc... I wish I had copied it, it seems. I can't get it to play anywhere. When examined under the light, I can see some little tiny scratches, but nothing major like I've seen when getting Netlix DVDs in the mail that still play. ...

I would try the disc in various players. I think your disc got borked more than scratched. None the less, I have moderate success with just doing a good cleaning. Get some good window cleaner, a soft no abrasive cloth, and clean the disc surface. Do not go in circles. Go center out when cleaning. Sometimes there's some kind of "fog" that causes the laser to not hit the disc correctly.

If you still think it's scratches causing the problem, have the disc resurfaced. Basically, they'll take a small layer of the clear plastic off that protects the information surface. There are services online, or you can try your local music store. They may have a machine. You'll need to watch out with the store because sometimes all they have is the machines that you can pick up for $20 or $40. The good machines cost a lot more money, but work really well.
Most window cleaning products contain ammonia. Not a good idea to use on a disk you might care about. Soft cloth and water. Please.
post #43 of 54 Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I don't disagree with the above. But I've used Windex and SprayAway, the later being much better. This should be fine for occasional use. You can always spray the cloth directly and then wipe as well.
post #44 of 54 Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just to chime in with my completely non-expert opinion.... I would not think a chemical like ammonia could harm an actual comercial pressed DVD. If I got some of the chemical on the underside, where the label is, it could be harmed. But the pressed grooves themselves? I doubt it. If this was a burned disc, we would need to be more careful. A point made a little bit earlier, on how they use a machine to remove a layer, yet those disc's still work... yet your worried about ammonia?
post #45 of 54 Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I would recommend the opposite. My my HTPC set up PDVD 12 Ultra worked better than TMT5/6 and slightly better than WinDVD 11 Pro. But that's just what worked best on my computer. I think there's a best suite for each computer/configuration and that's mine. But I got sick of all of it and went back to a standalone BDP. It wasn't a total waste, though. My computer has a better graphics card and BD capabilities. smile.gif

I'm still having technical issues with PowerDVD-10... and still going back and forth with their tech support. This is playing regular DVDs.
Ok I got my first Blu-Ray 'Armageddon'... and yes nothing but problems. 1st issue: The Blu-Ray according to Cyberlink does not allow using the VGA wire. It says I have to HDMI. My monitor and bi-connected HDTV is in-fact HD (1080P), but it doesn't care. So 1st I tried DVDFab Media player. That didn't work for me. I had problems with that. Than I uninstalled it. Even after I uninstalled it, it didn't completely remove everything. So I had to go into the registry and get rid of some things. Then I found in the 'uninstall menu' that there was some hidden junk it put... so I don't recommend that to anyone. Then I went for 'AnyDVD HD'. I got that to work with VLC Media Player. However as was stated above, I couldn't get to the menu or the extra features. My PowerDVD10 is still hosed, and might run after I get it working. I downloaded and installed 'Potplayer', and that also did not show the Menu. I could browse the BD, and find different files to play, and one of them was a menu like entry. But it was not clickable. I'm already in-for $79 in the AnyDVD HD. Interestingly I started the BD in 7-WMC, and I got ads to run from the BD, but there was a big white-bar across the screen. This could be working here, but and it could be, because my PowerDVD10 is screwed.
post #46 of 54 Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I'm still having technical issues with PowerDVD-10... and still going back and forth with their tech support. This is playing regular DVDs.
Not sure what problems you're having, or why... the copy that came with my drive works, I just don't like it. DVD's can be played using VLC without any other software. What did you use before you got the bluray drive?
Quote:
Ok I got my first Blu-Ray 'Armageddon'... and yes nothing but problems. 1st issue: The Blu-Ray according to Cyberlink does not allow using the VGA wire. It says I have to HDMI. My monitor and bi-connected HDTV is in-fact HD (1080P), but it doesn't care.
I believe the issue here is that VGA, which is an analog signal, doesn't work properly with the Image Constraint Token (ICT) flag on some blurays. I've read that AnyDVD HD will bypass this, Power DVD apparently doesn't. You would need to connect using HDMI or I believe DVI would also work. VGA isn't really meant for HD content like blurays.
Quote:
So 1st I tried DVDFab Media player. That didn't work for me. I had problems with that. Than I uninstalled it. Even after I uninstalled it, it didn't completely remove everything. So I had to go into the registry and get rid of some things. Then I found in the 'uninstall menu' that there was some hidden junk it put... so I don't recommend that to anyone.
DVDFab has multiple products, what I mentioned before was DVDFab Passkey Lite, which is similar to AnyDVD HD and doesn't include a player of it's own. I looked up the DVDFab Media Player and the free version doesn't support playing dvd or bluray from disc, only ISO files and other video files. So that's why it didn't work, nor would I recommend using it.
Quote:
Then I went for 'AnyDVD HD'. I got that to work with VLC Media Player. However as was stated above, I couldn't get to the menu or the extra features. My PowerDVD10 is still hosed, and might run after I get it working. I downloaded and installed 'Potplayer', and that also did not show the Menu. I could browse the BD, and find different files to play, and one of them was a menu like entry. But it was not clickable. I'm already in-for $79 in the AnyDVD HD.
Using AnyDVD HD to break the protection will allow you to play the movie in media players like VLC, but those players don't support menus for bluray. However you should still be able to access the other content (trailers, special features) manually... In VLC>> right-click menu>>Playback>>Title>>Select Title. Look at the duration for clues to what the content is, few minute ones are the trailers, longer ones being the special features.

The only solutions I know of that support full menus are Cyberlink's PowerDVD or Arcsoft's Total Media Theater (TMT).
Sorry I don't know how to help with PowerDVD, not sure what's going on with it. Sometimes the version that comes with drives are truncated versions, that might be part of the problem.
robertkjr3d likes this.
post #47 of 54 Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not sure what problems you're having, or why... the copy that came with my drive works, I just don't like it. DVD's can be played using VLC without any other software. What did you use before you got the bluray drive?
I believe the issue here is that VGA, which is an analog signal, doesn't work properly with the Image Constraint Token (ICT) flag on some blurays. I've read that AnyDVD HD will bypass this, Power DVD apparently doesn't. You would need to connect using HDMI or I believe DVI would also work. VGA isn't really meant for HD content like blurays.
DVDFab has multiple products, what I mentioned before was DVDFab Passkey Lite, which is similar to AnyDVD HD and doesn't include a player of it's own. I looked up the DVDFab Media Player and the free version doesn't support playing dvd or bluray from disc, only ISO files and other video files. So that's why it didn't work, nor would I recommend using it.
Using AnyDVD HD to break the protection will allow you to play the movie in media players like VLC, but those players don't support menus for bluray. However you should still be able to access the other content (trailers, special features) manually... In VLC>> right-click menu>>Playback>>Title>>Select Title. Look at the duration for clues to what the content is, few minute ones are the trailers, longer ones being the special features.

The only solutions I know of that support full menus are Cyberlink's PowerDVD or Arcsoft's Total Media Theater (TMT).
Sorry I don't know how to help with PowerDVD, not sure what's going on with it. Sometimes the version that comes with drives are truncated versions, that might be part of the problem.

You might know that 7-MC uses PowerDVD as a plug-in. But in WMC I'm actually able to get somewhere in conjunction with Anydvd-HD. I finally got the BD to play the commercials (yeah commercials) without the odd white-bar after a reboot, and then it went to the real menu. Cyberlink changes the computer to Windows7-Basic mode. When it got to the menu it again put the big white-bar again. But I fiddled with it by hitting the back, button, and then it was playing without it.
post #48 of 54 Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You might know that 7-MC uses PowerDVD as a plug-in. But in WMC I'm actually able to get somewhere in conjunction with Anydvd-HD. I finally got the BD to play the commercials (yeah commercials) without the odd white-bar after a reboot, and then it went to the real menu. Cyberlink changes the computer to Windows7-Basic mode. When it got to the menu it again put the big white-bar again. But I fiddled with it by hitting the back, button, and then it was playing without it.

I tell you what though. That is some of the most amazing sound I've heard. When the meteors start hitting NY near the beginning of the movie, wow! So the sound works! The picture seemed a bit dark. It seemed I had to turn up the brightness in my HDTV, compared to TV that I watch from my cable card.
post #49 of 54 Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did switch to DVDFab Passkey, not only did it seem to work a little better, but the price is also more compelling. (Although, clearly one of them is copying the other... the controls are the same).
post #50 of 54 Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I'm really disliking Cyberlink at this point. The tech-support finally got back with me this time, and said 'We noticed you have two-monitors attached. try it with one attached, and see if the problem persists...' I can tell they are grasping for straws. I also noticed, like someone else pointed out, that the cut-rate Power2Go software that comes bundled with the drive will not burn Video DVDs and certainly not BDs. When you click on those sections it just says ... upgrade available.... arrrgggg! Its all just marketing! Of course for burning DVDs there are many choices.

I think I'm going to give the Memorex a mixed review: Based on how it doesn't come with the software that you can really use it.

Edit: When I went to write the review I discovered a discrepancy in the listing and what I received. So I am now contacting the seller before I write the review. The listing says 'CyberLink 9.0 Blu-ray Suite Software' I received: 'Cyberlink Media Suite 8 for blu-ray'. --- I'm ready to give it up... uninstall it, and pay the big bucks for arcsoft TME. The reason TMT didn't work above, is because I didn't have passkey running.
post #51 of 54 Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm really disliking Cyberlink at this point. The tech-support finally got back with me this time, and said 'We noticed you have two-monitors attached. try it with one attached, and see if the problem persists...' I can tell they are grasping for straws. I also noticed, like someone else pointed out, that the cut-rate Power2Go software that comes bundled with the drive will not burn Video DVDs and certainly not BDs. When you click on those sections it just says ... upgrade available.... arrrgggg! Its all just marketing! Of course for burning DVDs there are many choices.

I think I'm going to give the Memorex a mixed review: Based on how it doesn't come with the software that you can really use it.

Edit: When I went to write the review I discovered a discrepancy in the listing and what I received. So I am now contacting the seller before I write the review. The listing says 'CyberLink 9.0 Blu-ray Suite Software' I received: 'Cyberlink Media Suite 8 for blu-ray'. --- I'm ready to give it up... uninstall it, and pay the big bucks for arcsoft TME. The reason TMT didn't work above, is because I didn't have passkey running.

Ok... here is the latest: I complained to Tigerdirect because of the incorrect Ebay listing (also their website on the product as well). They came back and said 'We are sorry, we realize that Cyberlink Media Suite version 9' was supposed to be included, but we are unable to help you unless you return it." I refused. They offered another option, to call Memorex the original vendor/maker of the BD writer. Memorex insisted that 'Cyberlink Media Suite 8' was indeed supposed to be inside the box and Tigerdirect's listing is inaccurate. The BD Writer was developed before Cyberlink Media Suite 9 came out according to the Tech Department at Memorex.

A Bit of good news: Cyberlink's tech support actually gave me an FTP link and a activation key for a working version of PowerDVD10, as opposed to the one I had. I tested it this morning, and no more problems that I was having -- namely the white square boxes, and problems with Blu-rays.

I know I could have just forked out the money for TMT, or TME... I will in the future...
post #52 of 54 Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I should add: TigerDirect just gave me a $10 gift certificate for the incorrect listing and my trouble. Of course I have to use it at TigerDirect.
post #53 of 54 Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

I should add: TigerDirect just gave me a $10 gift certificate for the incorrect listing and my trouble. Of course I have to use it at TigerDirect.
Doesn't it work at Circuit City too?
post #54 of 54 Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Both CircuitCity.com and TigerDirect.com are owned by Systemax, Inc.

So the OP would still be giving money to the same company either way. That said, I would not be too angry at TigerDirect. This happens from time to time with all retailers. I have had good experience with TigerDirect but don't use them too often, though. IMHO, included playback software on a disc that comes with a BD drive is mainly for use as a coaster anyhow.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page