Upgrade to external Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had an continuing issue with my DVD player on my computer. It is a in a ATX Case that goes vertical downwards. Don't know if that makes any difference. So when the 1st one seemed bad, I went to the store assuming it was the DVD burner/player itself that was bad, and I bought a new one. It seemed to work for a bit, but noticed some of the same problems, sometimes. I then tried replacing the SATA cable, then it seemed to work again. But eventually it went to not working. Depending on the DVD, store-bought, netflix mail, burn or whatever. Symptoms are: 1) I'll hear it continuously trying to read over and over again... 2) When putting a disc in the drive, sometimes it just won't seem to read it at all, and nothing comes up. 3) in the middle of watching a DVD, it'll just quit, and the only way to continue, is to pull the disc out and to put it back in.

However since I don't believe replacing the internal drive is a safe solution. I'm going to seek going to an external one. And I have an excuse now to go to Blu-ray.

See this one: Is this an ok option. I've seen recommendations for pioneer. I'm trying to keep costs low. So any cheaper options would be nice. Also any ideas, why my current DVD and the one before it or the cables keep having issues would be appreciated. (yes i've tried changing what sata port it was connected to..)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=858963
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't have any experience with it myself. It looks ok, but the reviews I saw on Amazon were mixed. Make sure to note the you will need two USB2 ports to run property. On the plus side, it does come with some blu ray playback software, PowerDVD10, but it's likely some truncated version.

My biggest concern is that I didn't see many reviews on it. Thus, it's either relatively new or hasn't been very popular. Of course, it's possible that external blu ray drives just aren't popular anymore because of streaming services and the whatnot.

I do use a external blu ray drive similar, an ASUS external slim SBW-06C1S-U, which is no long made, but can be picked up used around $50US. Like the Pioneer, it requires two USB2 ports. Although, it can play DVDs with just one being used. It didn't come with any software; also Media Player Classic works fine; I use AnyDVD HD to help with HDCP/DRM issues that I may encounter.

The $100 mark is about the right spot for what you're looking to get. You may want to see if there are any manufacture rebates. I did that when I got the ASUS, which brought the cost down to about $70 or $80.

As to your issue, it does sound like your drive is going bad. It could be a controller on your motherboard is going out as well. If you can, try putting the DVD drive in another machine and see what happens.
post #3 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just recently purchased and external BR drive myself. Had been looking at the Samsung SE-506AB (uses 2 usb ports and comes with PowerDVD 10) on Amazon and a couple other places. I then found the newer version of that drive, the SE-506BB which also comes with PowerDVD 10, but it only uses 1 usb port. This isn't really advertized so I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box.
You can find it on Amazon ($89.99) with several reviews and Newegg ($89.99 + $11 promo code good through tomorrow Apr. 5). Reviews don't look great on Newegg, but both the 2 star and 1 star review are from the same person and both are long rants, which usually points to user ignorance, though I didn't really read it ha.

I've only had it a brief time and used it a couple of times. So I can't give you much of a review other than it works for watching movies. Seems most of the less than stellar reviews are regarding burning speeds, etc. I'm not using PowerDVD, not really a fan, testing with DVDFab Passkey Lite and MPC-HC at the moment. It's not the fastest to load up initially and is somewhat noisy while spinning, but I think most slim externals are.

Just thought I'd share my brief experience. From what I've read the Samsung drives are the top of the line and not the best for burning purposes, but as a player they do the job. The one usb port was a great surprise for my situation as well. Make sure you read reviews and compare them to what your needs are. Also, hopefully you'll get more feedback here as well.
post #4 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

I don't have any experience with it myself. It looks ok, but the reviews I saw on Amazon were mixed. Make sure to note the you will need two USB2 ports to run property. On the plus side, it does come with some blu ray playback software, PowerDVD10, but it's likely some truncated version.

My biggest concern is that I didn't see many reviews on it. Thus, it's either relatively new or hasn't been very popular. Of course, it's possible that external blu ray drives just aren't popular anymore because of streaming services and the whatnot.

I do use a external blu ray drive similar, an ASUS external slim SBW-06C1S-U, which is no long made, but can be picked up used around $50US. Like the Pioneer, it requires two USB2 ports. Although, it can play DVDs with just one being used. It didn't come with any software; also Media Player Classic works fine; I use AnyDVD HD to help with HDCP/DRM issues that I may encounter.

The $100 mark is about the right spot for what you're looking to get. You may want to see if there are any manufacture rebates. I did that when I got the ASUS, which brought the cost down to about $70 or $80.

As to your issue, it does sound like your drive is going bad. It could be a controller on your motherboard is going out as well. If you can, try putting the DVD drive in another machine and see what happens.
Sorry for the split by-part question, just wait until others chime in and this gets really confused on which direction the thread goes... but thanx to commenting on both parts. I have a USB hub which plugs into the wall (or powerstrip, I'm assuming this will work if I grabbed two of USB ports correct?). I would like someone to chime in some other recommendations with links to comparable (perhaps cheaper items, that would still be recommendable by the uber geeks here...)

Back to the DVD part of my problem - and would also speak to why I can't go internal:
I have tried to switch it to another SATA connector and it didn't work any better. I swapped one of my harddrives for where the DVD is connected, and it didn't help. The harddrive runs fine. Logically you would suspect the drive? correct... but this is the second one that I've had in the machine. Controller as you have mentioned? If it is the controller, wouldn't the HD drive(s) have issues? I have two HD drives in the machine and there are 4 SATA slots. The only thing I have not swapped out at this point, and didn't think of this morning is to try a different power cable. I've also thought of: Is it possible that where it sits in the chassis is someone overheating that particular spot... This is a Dell Inspiron 560, that is not in its original case. To make myself more clear on this last possibility: I realy doubt this possibility, but: Since this is failing a second time, perhaps the location in the machine for the DVD-ROM is getting too hot. Because it did seem to work better when I first purchased the 2nd DVD-Rom from the store. Its a tsstcorp sh-222bb (I think... I'm not home)

edit: I do believe that is the correct item, the image looks correct, and according the specifications, it is not the vertical mounting that is the issue.
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/optical-disc-drive/dvd-rw/SH-222AB/BEBS-spec
post #5 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 AM

To the other part of your question about the DVD problems, the symptoms sound familiar. My old DVD burner drive stopped reading retail DVD's, it would attempt to spin up multiple times like your describe, or do nothing. Either way, if you looked in Windows Explorer it would show no disc in the drive. In my case though, all other discs seemed to work... software, music, burned avi and vob discs would all read. Tried cleaning the lazer, tried updated drivers, and tried booting to linux... always the same results. (this was in a laptop, so couldn't change much else).

After doing research on google, seemed those symptoms were pretty common when a drive was going bad. I replaced it and it's worked fine ever since. In your case, two drives with the same problem is either bad luck or something faulty in the other hardware, but I don't really know what to suggest to check that hasn't already been said.
My dad had a small mini tower case with a vertical mount drive and it worked as long as he had it, but it only saw minimal use and mostly burning data/photo cd's.
post #6 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boournz View Post

To the other part of your question about the DVD problems, the symptoms sound familiar. My old DVD burner drive stopped reading retail DVD's, it would attempt to spin up multiple times like your describe, or do nothing. Either way, if you looked in Windows Explorer it would show no disc in the drive. In my case though, all other discs seemed to work... software, music, burned avi and vob discs would all read. Tried cleaning the lazer, tried updated drivers, and tried booting to linux... always the same results. (this was in a laptop, so couldn't change much else).

After doing research on google, seemed those symptoms were pretty common when a drive was going bad. I replaced it and it's worked fine ever since. In your case, two drives with the same problem is either bad luck or something faulty in the other hardware, but I don't really know what to suggest to check that hasn't already been said.
My dad had a small mini tower case with a vertical mount drive and it worked as long as he had it, but it only saw minimal use and mostly burning data/photo cd's.
That's the scary part. If I rip it out, and put yet another verticle DVD or even an upgraded to internal BD in the computer... I might just be throwing good money after bad. Btw... thanx for telling me that I'm not nuts, for experiencing weird issues with retail DVDs. Logically I would think that retail DVDs would read easier that burnt ones. But I believe it has been the opposite...what is the science behind that? I'm seeing this also.
post #7 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
post #8 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Best deal I've seen http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230925178897
hmm does seem like a good deal...
post #9 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok I got home. And the machine was acting nuts. My wife had reported the screen was blanking out, and it was in general failure mode. It looked like what I've seen viruses had done. So I turned it off. I unplugged the DVD, I plugged the two drives I have into the 2 and 3 slots (they were in 0 and 1) --- and everything is running good (for now)... So yes it is the controller. - Oddly enough.. The guy who sold me this computer did sell me a replacement MB. So I do have that recourse.
post #10 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 236
For future readers of this thread let me say that slim drives in general stink. Too easy to break and half the speed of half height drives. If you want to go external get an enclosure and a real drive, not a notebook drive.
post #11 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'm thinking you got a bad drive. I've had it happen to me, but I bought some super cheap drive, so I wasn't all that surprised. Mine went bad after about two weeks, LOL.

I really don't know how to test if the controller is going bad or not. I think the easiest way, if possible, put the drive in another machine. But the fact that the machine was playing nice after you disconnected it, makes me lean towards bad drive.

Years ago, I had the floppy controller go out on my motherboard. My PC was under warranty, so the customer service tech sent a free replacement. It actually happened twice, LOL.
post #12 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

The powered USB hub should be fine as long as you have two USB2 ports to use. USB is suppose to support, something like, 165 devices, even through hubs. It's just more is there enough power and bandwidth ( I think this is why you need two cables).

I did see ASUS has come out with a newer model. I assume it should work fine. I know some people are weary about ASUS products. The I got, it has that cheap build feel to it, but it works well. ASUS usually has some kind of promotion going on. Just have to check their rebate center to see what they have running. I got a $20 American Express gift card.

OlyTeddy suggestion is another good route as well. You can probably get a faster drive for the same or lower price. Honestly, I don't think it's going to matter much unless you plan to burn. It's why I got a burner for the occasional use. Just go with what you feel comfortable with.

Here is a video I did demostrating BR disc playback using Media Player Classic with AnyDVD HD. (the audio and video out of sync was the recorder, not actual playback)

I'm using a late 2009 Mac Mini (2.66ghz D2C, 4GB ram, NVidia 9400M integrated video) running Windows 7.
post #13 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not real familiar with the Mac Mini. Is it because it's underpowered that you had to record it on a cell phone instead of using an app like Fraps or Action?
post #14 of 54 Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have the older Asus, and it worked great for a year or so, then started to be unreliable on Bur-Ray playback. I keep it as a laptop DVD drive, but put an internal Pioneer BD burner in my main machine.
post #15 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm thinking you got a bad drive. I've had it happen to me, but I bought some super cheap drive, so I wasn't all that surprised. Mine went bad after about two weeks, LOL.

I really don't know how to test if the controller is going bad or not. I think the easiest way, if possible, put the drive in another machine. But the fact that the machine was playing nice after you disconnected it, makes me lean towards bad drive.

Years ago, I had the floppy controller go out on my motherboard. My PC was under warranty, so the customer service tech sent a free replacement. It actually happened twice, LOL.

What I didn't say was: After unplugging the likely also bad DVD drive. (I believe you lovekeiiy, but...) I was still experiencing the crazy computer. Meaning it was having read issues with the main system drive. The computer didn't go back to normal until moving the SATA connections around and eventually having both HD drives in slots 2 and 3 on the MB. I can't remember what slots I had them originally (before this mess started): maybe 0 and 3, with the DVD on 1. - and I wasn't using slot 2...
post #16 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

For future readers of this thread let me say that slim drives in general stink. Too easy to break and half the speed of half height drives. If you want to go external get an enclosure and a real drive, not a notebook drive.
I'm concerned about this post. I was seriously considering making a purchase of Dark_Slayer's link above. What makes 'internal' drives so much superior? "Too easy to break" - Meaning you are suggesting that we should be worried about dropping the physical device off the desk? Obviously buying an enclosure adds to the cost, as I have seen. I looked into it, a little.

edit: I re-read your post more-carefully. You speak of a slim-drive, like as if speaking of a lap-top drive. However is the drive linked by Dark_Slayer such a slim drive? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230925178897
post #17 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not real familiar with the Mac Mini. Is it because it's underpowered that you had to record it on a cell phone instead of using an app like Fraps or Action?

Maybe, but I just didn't know about those applications. Plus, I think a format shows a bit better that it really is working and not some video editing trick. The phone usually recorded well, but I was having phone issues at the time, and all the point-shoot cameras in the house were broke. The point was more to show how the stuff works. And the video at the time was showing you don't necessarily need blu ray playback suites such as PowerDVD to watch a blu ray movie. It also shows that you don't necessarily need that powerful a computer to have blu ray disc playback as well.

As the "break easily", I think what he more saying, is that they may not have the same build quality compared to a normal drive. This of course is more dependent on the manufacture or model. ASUS doesn't exactly have the best track for build quality. I have had mine over a year, but I don't use it all the time. It's mainly for ripping movies using MakeMKV. His other point was that the external slim drives are not as fast compared to a regular drive. I don't know enough to dispute that point, but I'll assume it's accurate. My counter to it is really, it's not that major of issue because most of the slim drives are fast enough to read with minimal load times; in the video, the biggest delay is more from AnyDVD analyzing the disc. Where speed can be important is with burning/writing to a disc. Unless you're going to be burning more often, then I wouldn't be as concerned with it; don't dismiss completely though.

Although, if push came to shove,I would recommend a stand alone blu ray player over the PC with blu ray drive. In the long run, it's cheaper. As long as the blu ray can get firmware updates for the DRM updates that are needed, you can get a decent blu ray player around $100 these days. The drive cost is fixed and not the biggest problem. The PowerDVD that comes with the drive in the OP, will be a truncated version, and thus some features are going to be unavailable without upgrading. And if the drive doesn't come with the softeware, and one chooses to get a blu ray suite, it's around $100; could a little less, could be more. And at some point, the suite will require an paid upgrade to even work; this is usually around two or three years. Plus, you may still need to tweak the settings to get it to work on the PC correctly. Granted, it's possible to get better playback on the PC versus the stand alone. I think for most people stand alone playback performance will more than meet their needs. Heck, I would suggest getting a Playstation 3 because it's a decent player and quite robust. Sony updates it often. It can be a little slow loading, but plays well and can do all the bells whistles of blu ray. Plus, if you use streaming services such as Netflix, playback on set top boxes is usually better as well; there are a some exceptions.
post #18 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

upon some quick research,, the PS3 is a more expensive than I thought. The cheapest are around $200; some refurbished can be had for under $200. I'm still using my fat PS3 I got a few months after the initial release, so I hadn't keep that up to speed on pricing; I thought the base model would run in the $100 to $150 range. And I know the newer slim models are faster and more quite compared to the one I have.
post #19 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe, but I just didn't know about those applications. Plus, I think a format shows a bit better that it really is working and not some video editing trick. The phone usually recorded well, but I was having phone issues at the time, and all the point-shoot cameras in the house were broke. The point was more to show how the stuff works. And the video at the time was showing you don't necessarily need blu ray playback suites such as PowerDVD to watch a blu ray movie. It also shows that you don't necessarily need that powerful a computer to have blu ray disc playback as well.

As the "break easily", I think what he more saying, is that they may not have the same build quality compared to a normal drive. This of course is more dependent on the manufacture or model. ASUS doesn't exactly have the best track for build quality. I have had mine over a year, but I don't use it all the time. It's mainly for ripping movies using MakeMKV. His other point was that the external slim drives are not as fast compared to a regular drive. I don't know enough to dispute that point, but I'll assume it's accurate. My counter to it is really, it's not that major of issue because most of the slim drives are fast enough to read with minimal load times; in the video, the biggest delay is more from AnyDVD analyzing the disc. Where speed can be important is with burning/writing to a disc. Unless you're going to be burning more often, then I wouldn't be as concerned with it; don't dismiss completely though.

Although, if push came to shove,I would recommend a stand alone blu ray player over the PC with blu ray drive. In the long run, it's cheaper. As long as the blu ray can get firmware updates for the DRM updates that are needed, you can get a decent blu ray player around $100 these days. The drive cost is fixed and not the biggest problem. The PowerDVD that comes with the drive in the OP, will be a truncated version, and thus some features are going to be unavailable without upgrading. And if the drive doesn't come with the softeware, and one chooses to get a blu ray suite, it's around $100; could a little less, could be more. And at some point, the suite will require an paid upgrade to even work; this is usually around two or three years. Plus, you may still need to tweak the settings to get it to work on the PC correctly. Granted, it's possible to get better playback on the PC versus the stand alone. I think for most people stand alone playback performance will more than meet their needs. Heck, I would suggest getting a Playstation 3 because it's a decent player and quite robust. Sony updates it often. It can be a little slow loading, but plays well and can do all the bells whistles of blu ray. Plus, if you use streaming services such as Netflix, playback on set top boxes is usually better as well; there are a some exceptions.

I was under the impression that VLC media player could even play Blu-Ray discs. - I have looked into getting a hold of software that can play 3D blue-ray discs in Anaglyph mode. I've read of a KM Player that can do this. I know Power DVD 12, but of course that is expensive. In your post you make it sound like the software that comes with the drive linked above -- that is 'Power DVD 9' is not adequate enough even to run comercial Blu-rays???

What are "Some Features" I'm going to be missing without upgrading? What are possible tweaks I might have to make?
post #20 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

Quote:

I'm concerned about this post. I was seriously considering making a purchase of Dark_Slayer's link above. What makes 'internal' drives so much superior? "Too easy to break" - Meaning you are suggesting that we should be worried about dropping the physical device off the desk? Obviously buying an enclosure adds to the cost, as I have seen. I looked into it, a little.

edit: I re-read your post more-carefully. You speak of a slim-drive, like as if speaking of a lap-top drive. However is the drive linked by Dark_Slayer such a slim drive? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230925178897
That Memorex appears to be a full size drive. The reason I dislike laptop size drives is they have just as many moving parts as a half-height in a much smaller space, hence the 'likelier to break'. Most of the current externals use these slim drives.
post #21 of 54 Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Best deal I've seen http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230925178897

I did purchased this item. The thanx will began to roll, as soon as it runs well. hehe.
post #22 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was under the impression that VLC media player could even play Blu-Ray discs. - I have looked into getting a hold of software that can play 3D blue-ray discs in Anaglyph mode. I've read of a KM Player that can do this. I know Power DVD 12, but of course that is expensive. In your post you make it sound like the software that comes with the drive linked above -- that is 'Power DVD 9' is not adequate enough even to run comercial Blu-rays???

What are "Some Features" I'm going to be missing without upgrading? What are possible tweaks I might have to make?

VLC probably can play them. I haven't read up on VLC with Blu Ray playback because I frankly don't play blu ray discs other than to rip them. I do here and there, like once every six months to check for errors or something to that nature. Most likely with VLC, KM Player, Pot Player, and so forth, it's literally going to play just the movie. No menus, no BR live. To watch the bonus features, you'd probably have to search the disc through file explorer or something.

The thing that is more an issue is for Blu Ray, your equipment--video card, BR drive, or display--have to pass the HDCP handshake. It's part of the Blu Ray encryption. Anydvd HD removes it, so it doesn't matter if your, say, display doesn't have it. So, if you don't have something like AnyDVD HD, I'm not sure VLC has that part build it. Thus, it's possible you may not be able to play the movie. Maybe someone who does not have and use AnyDVD HD, but uses VLC or something similar can say if he/she has been able to play the discs directly.

As for the truncated version of a BR suite, such ad PowerDVD10, not sure. You'd probably get enough to navigate the menus and watch the movie. It's possible it may not do 3D or BR live. I've rarely even seen, in the 20 plus years I've been tinkering with PCs, where any optical drive came with the full version. On a side note, sometimes the truncated versions end up better and easier to use.
post #23 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Liked: 20
VLC can be setup with libaacs to play some Blu-ray Disc's directly, but support for discs with new protections and BD+ will need something like AnyDVD HD to remove the protection first.
DVDfab Passkey Lite is a decent free alternative.

VLC BD menu support is very limited and as lovekeiiy mentioned it will usually just play the main movie.
post #24 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

VLC can be setup with libaacs to play some Blu-ray Disc's directly, but support for discs with new protections and BD+ will need something like AnyDVD HD to remove the protection first.
DVDfab Passkey Lite is a decent free alternative.

VLC BD menu support is very limited and as lovekeiiy mentioned it will usually just play the main movie.

Let-me understand this: So I get this commercial blu-ray - either from netflix or purchased. I put it in the drive. And what your saying is, since this is not a standalone BD player. The first thing I'm going to need to do is Hack it to even get to play all the features? --- I do not even intend to use it to rip or steal movies... but the protection keeps me from even using the features of the BD?!
post #25 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Yes.

Well let me clarify and I may be wrong because I don't do this. You have AnyDVD HD running as a background process on your PC and then it plays. IDK if this is hacking or not if you are playing from a physical disc in the drive.

post #26 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Yes.

Well let me clarify and I may be wrong because I don't do this. You have AnyDVD HD running as a background process on your PC and then it plays. IDK if this is hacking or not if you are playing from a physical disc in the drive.

Thank you for the clear response. Links? I tried 'AnyDVD HD' but this yields a lot of results, and I'm not sure that is for blu-ray.
post #27 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Let-me understand this: So I get this commercial blu-ray - either from netflix or purchased. I put it in the drive. And what your saying is, since this is not a standalone BD player. The first thing I'm going to need to do is Hack it to even get to play all the features? --- I do not even intend to use it to rip or steal movies... but the protection keeps me from even using the features of the BD?!

You only need a 'Hack' like AnyDVD HD if you want to play the BD's on a non commercial player like VLC or MPC.

If you use a commercial player like PowerDVD or Arcsoft TMT they will play the BD's back with all the features, you would not need something like AnyDVD HD.

PowerDVD and Arcsoft TMT are licensed for BD playback and are the equivalent to a standalone player for a PC.
post #28 of 54 Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

You only need a 'Hack' like AnyDVD HD if you want to play the BD's on a non commercial player like VLC or MPC.

If you use a commercial player like PowerDVD or Arcsoft TMT they will play the BD's back with all the features, you would not need something like AnyDVD HD.

PowerDVD and Arcsoft TMT are licensed for BD playback and are the equivalent to a standalone player for a PC.

Oh thankx.. I think one of the reasons we got on this particular tangent, is because, a poster above was saying that External drives like the one ordered, that comes with PowerDVD 9 and Lightscribe -- He believes actually comes with dumbed downed versions and not sure they will work with modern comercial Blu-Rays. At least that was what I took from what he said. I was unaware that Windows Media Player and VLC couldn't, right out of box, play Blu-Ray.
post #29 of 54 Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

So I got the External Blu-ray writer in the mail today... It took a lot of playing around and configuring. Recall I did purchase the 'Memorex 98839'. My Win-7 machine had no trouble installing the drivers automagically. It came with Cyberlink Media Suite 8 - Power DVD 10. And that's where the issues came from. The PowerDVD 10 - would come up with a blank white screen on occasion. So I would reboot. It would work. Then the previous settings would take-over and it would show the very-same screen again. Then I discovered a trick. Click start-->PowerDVD10-->'go to moovielive.com' and then the powerdvd would reset. If powerDVD would get into what it calls 'cinema mode' it would basically crash. If I was running a movie, and I clicked to go into cinema mode (big mistake) I soon discovered that all the buttons became big unknown blocks. So I dunno about using PowerDVD, but it seems to work it certain modes.

The best thing about it, is that I noticed it put a hook into my WMC, which seemed to be the best way to play DVDs. When I was testing different comercial DVDs I own, I noticed it would not run my StarWars Ep 2. But then I took it out to my regular standalone player, and found that wouldn't run it either. Neither would it run in my laptop. Oddly it doesn't look scratched up? So I guess this issue is not the Memorex.

I have not tested the Memorex on a Blu-Ray yet, I don't have one.
post #30 of 54 Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

I'm not a fan of PowerDVD at all. My bluray came with media suite, not sure the version, but has PowerDVD 10 and while I haven't had the problems you are it's just obnoxious and awkward to me. For just DVD playback, you don't need it anyway, players like MPC-HC and VLC can handle most DVD playback without special software. Bluray is a different story, there's so much copy protection you need additional software just to play them.

I'm currently testing DVDFab Passkey Lite (it's free) which decrypts/strips protection from the bluray and then using MPC-HC as the player. Had a slight issue with Hunger Games last night due to a specific type of protection it uses, but found the solution and it worked with Passkey and MPC-HC with some user intervention. PowerDVD played it without any user intervention, but I still hate it ha
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page