Smart Tv or AVR for web streaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

I just bought an Onyo TX-NR616 and get it linked to my wi-fi home network with an USB adaptor.
I listen to music from my computer using windows media player and it just work fine!

To complete my setup I need to buy a new HDTV, my old cathodic one is becoming very obsolete...

I love to watch TV shows in catchup mode, I usually use my computer to do it but I would like to be able to do so with my new TV/AVR setup. The Onkyo reciever is DLNA and can access; Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, Slacker, Last.fm...

I was thinking about web streaming via Web tv services and here come the question; Can I connect My AVR with my wireless network to access my web tv online service or do I really need a Smart TV to do it...

Smart TV are much more expensive than normal "Dumb" TV's...is it really worth it??

In addition to youtube, the service I use is called Tou.TV wich is a free French-language Web TV service providing access to programs airing on Television. It's about the same as Netflix but it,s free and you dont need an account. The new Tou.tv application is now a menu option on Samsung and LG Smart TVs... but I wish I will be able to connect my DLNA Onkyo AVR... with a brand new "Dumb" HDTV... Is that possible?

Thanks for your answers!

Cellmeso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have the lesser model of your avr the tx-nr515 and no you cannot use it to stream online video services just audio services.
Normally I would suggest getting a roku2 but those really don't play nice with onkyo avr.

Best bet would be to use one of the many android on a stick devices available.
Cellmeso likes this.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
like the above said, your best option is some kind of set top box. I'm not familiar with your AVR so I don't know which STB may be problematic.

You could just connect the STB directly to the TV and use the audio outputs on the TV and feed that to your AVR. May be able to circumvent the problematic part of some STB. Hopefully, the TV can do DD passthrough.

As for smarttv part work the cost of the smarttv, too subjective to answer. they are very convienent and one less box to have near/next to the TV. As you suggested, you're limited by watch the TV manufacture adds to the smartTV line up. I can see Tou.TV not being available on most, unless you live in France.

In your case, for video services on the web, the PC you're using may be your best option. If the PC has HDMI out, it''ll be easy to setup; just connect the HDMI cable. Otherwise, it'll depend on what outputs the PC has and inputs available on the AVR or TV. Just try to use the digital outputs on the PC.
Cellmeso likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Neither.

I use my HTPC for web streaming.

I think that the android sticks are a fabulous thing but still have a bit of work to go to make them a viable solution.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyboddy
Thanks for your replies

I think i'llgo with a good Dumb Tv and invest in a good little smart box, easier to upgrade and change if needed and offer more options and configuration possibilities.
HTPC is not an option at the moment and the PC is too far away from the Home theatre so I cant connect the HDMI cable from my PC to my TV.

P.S. Tou.tv ia a canadian web TV service wink.gif
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
There's a whole section in here dedicated to streamers and you also may want to give iboum a gander.