Pulling the Trigger on HTPC for small Office - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to build a HTPC for my Office Room. It will be used to surf internet, watch TV via Cable Card/Comcast, record sporting events (Tennis Channel), watch archived Tennis Matches and Football Games recorded on DVD in the past and listen to music. I would like to have output to a 5.1 sound system.

I see Newegg deals weekly and never know what to get. Today I see several deals surrounding SSD and a few Motherboards and processors. Here is the challenge, "if i wanted to pull the trigger today, what would you suggest for a budget of $300". I would not be opposed to using Refurbished PC or Parts, maybe swaping out processors or drives, something like that to save money. HDMI is required and the TV/Monitor/AVR /Speakers not part of the budget. I would like it to be as fast as possible for surfing and with as much storage as the budget would support. Windows 7 or 8 as an operating system and using WMC unless there is a better choice. Please let me know what I am missing. If I need to do it in two steps, I would add the TVTuner Card later. Gaming is not a requirement.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16

There are several posts with the same question as yours... here's one you may find interesting.  Given the content there, you'll find a $300 budget tight when you start at that system and add in your OS ($90), HDDs are $100 for a 2TB, and no mention of a CableCard device like the 2660 ($130) or the Ceton or Prime ($150~200).  I'd say $400 would do you and add the tuner above that. 

post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

There are several posts with the same question as yours... here's one you may find interesting.  Given the content there, you'll find a $300 budget tight when you start at that system and add in your OS ($90), HDDs are $100 for a 2TB, and no mention of a CableCard device like the 2660 ($130) or the Ceton or Prime ($150~200).  I'd say $400 would do you and add the tuner above that. 

Pretty closely agree with Andrew, except I got the Prime for $130. It comes on sale quite often LINK

Also, check Amazon "used" since a lot of people are going to begin selling them in anticipation of the 4 tuner version set to arrive this year

Pick your poison for CC tuners, none will be available under $100

Otherwise I'd go this route

CPU - G1610 - $40
Mobo - H61m - $30-50
RAM - 2x4GB - $20-30
HDD - 1x4TB - $160 http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_11_0
SSD - 60 / 128 - $40-80
PSU - 400-450W - $20-60

Hopefully you can use a scrap case and tuck it away. For the theater rack look/feel you'd need an nMediaPC or Silverstone case. On a budget, I'd look for a "free" computer on craigslist and gut it or make use of one of the old clunkers you might have put in a garage
post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16

OK, ok... so I wrote them backwards... you're right and I got my Prime for $150 at a Woot sale.  Generally the quad-tuning Ceton is the more expensive whether internal or USB. 

Good write-up!  He's still not in $300 territory though... but that's the reality of it.  I think his wants to be "as fast as possible" and "as much HDD as possible" are overstated.  Maybe picking up a used system and adding a new video card would suit his budget side.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Nope, $300 is just not enough for everything required

As for W7 licenses, I bought a 3 pack family upgrade retail box for $140 off ebay. Surely there are still ways to get a cheap W7 license

Now I have spare W7 pro, W7 home, and W8 pro license smile.gif still less money than buying any of them otherwise. I get heartburn at the idea of paying full retail for a license
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page