Can't FF in Movies (MKV's) Started from MB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must be missing something. Every TV Show or Movie (MKV) that I start from Media Browser from within WMC doesn't respond to the FF and REW buttons on the WMC remote. However, the 30 second skip forward and backward do. Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of that happened when I wasn't looking was that another piece of software loaded the VLC player and it associated itself with my MKVs. Do I need to uninstall VLC? My understanding is that it's a pretty good player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBragg View Post

I must be missing something. Every TV Show or Movie (MKV) that I start from Media Browser from within WMC doesn't respond to the FF and REW buttons on the WMC remote. However, the 30 second skip forward and backward do. Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of that happened when I wasn't looking was that another piece of software loaded the VLC player and it associated itself with my MKVs. Do I need to uninstall VLC? My understanding is that it's a pretty good player.

Its a limitation of WMC.

Tip: Want to skip to the 5 minute mark? Hit "5" and then the "Play" button (not enter). Want to skip to the 30 minute mark? Hit "3" and then "0" and then "Play".

Etc.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought I was losing my mind. Thanks for the tip on moving thru. I read that one in your guide but had forgotten about it.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now I remember why I wasn't using that trick. It doesn't work for me. When I'm playing a movie in MB and I hit say 5 then Play it takes me to channel five in the cable tuner bailing completely out of MB playback.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 AM

Try a number combination and the Skip forward button. The number you choose will half the value skipped. For example, hit 30 and skip - you will be skipped ahead 15 minutes.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
MB has no player. If you didn't set up an external player it uses the default WMC player. The >> and << buttons don't work in mkv's. Use >| and |< buttons instead. I use MPC-HC as an external player and have progammed 30 second skips into the >> and << buttons on my remote using MPC-HC's key mapping.

post #7 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

MB has no player. If you didn't set up an external player it uses the default WMC player. The >> and << buttons don't work in mkv's. Use >| and |< buttons instead. I use MPC-HC as an external player and have progammed 30 second skips into the >> and << buttons on my remote using MPC-HC's key mapping.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Ok, now I remember why I wasn't using that trick. It doesn't work for me. When I'm playing a movie in MB and I hit say 5 then Play it takes me to channel five in the cable tuner bailing completely out of MB playback.

This only happened to me if I took to long to hit play, you aren't given a lot of time to hit play before it reacts and changes to the channel as you described

Last time I was setup this way, I preferred MPC-HC as well. Similar to Sammy's description above, but I used chapter skips instead of 30 second skips since my mkvs have chapters
post #9 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 176
if you really want to be able to fast forward and rewind you should create .wtv files instead of .mkv.

Any time I buy a bluray with mpeg2 video and ac3 audio I create a .wtv instead of a bluray for that reason (and extender compatibility).

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #10 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you put HD Audio in a *.wtv container?

post #11 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Quote:

This only happened to me if I took to long to hit play, you aren't given a lot of time to hit play before it reacts and changes to the channel as you described

Last time I was setup this way, I preferred MPC-HC as well. Similar to Sammy's description above, but I used chapter skips instead of 30 second skips since my mkvs have chapters

I have the 30 second skips in the >> and << keys and reserve the >| and |< keys for chapter skips.

post #12 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Any time I buy a bluray with mpeg2 video and ac3 audio

Are these re-releases? I stick with newer stuff mostly I suppose, I've not come across an mpeg2 blu-ray to date
post #13 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If you were able to I don't think WMC would know how to play it.

I can try later. I turned my tv series dvds into wtv so they would show up in the wmc Recorded TV area. I'm 90% sure when I tried to turn bluray discs of the series Homeland into wtv that it could only play the 2.0 ac3 directors commentary. I know I scrapped the idea and if I remember correctly that was the reason.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #14 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

As most of my content contains HD Audio, using *.wtv isn't a very good solution. I rarely ff or rew a movie anyhow so it really isn't a problem for me.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Are these re-releases? I stick with newer stuff mostly I suppose, I've not come across an mpeg2 blu-ray to date

Lots of Buena Vista (Disney/Touchstone) releases and others as well. Off the top of my head I can recall Enemy of the State, Silence of the Lambs, Invincible, Terminator 2, Four Brothers.

I think if you intend to use extenders wtv should definitely be the way you rip dvds since all of them include mpeg2 and ac3.

My HTPC front end set up
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not giving up on HD Audio for an extender. I'll wait for the echo android solution that includes it. Switching several hundred movies to *.wtv is not on my to do list.

post #17 of 17 Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I suspected that if I converted to WTV or DVRMS format that the player would enable the FF. But +30 skip does still work and Sammy2 is right, it's rare that I need to move through a movie.

I've not setup my Echo yet, but are you guys suggesting that it won't play MKVs or just that I can't bitstream HD audio from an MKV via an extender? I'm only going to be needing stereo at my extender points so I don't really need HD audio but I thought that if the filters were setup properly at the main HTPC that the MKVs would play at the extender nodes.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page