Thinking of using this...... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yeah I have read what a pain that is for folks with Cox and TWC. Luckily (if I can really call it that) I have Comcast, which I have read has everything copy freely except for premium channels which I do not subscribe to. My only fear would be that they change that in the future, but I suspect that they wont since they are offering their own way of getting a live tv feed to other devices such as an IPad or other tablets with anyplay and it may prohibit them with that service. Not certain but hopeful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Yeah I have read what a pain that is for folks with Cox and TWC. Luckily (if I can really call it that) I have Comcast, which I have read has everything copy freely except for premium channels which I do not subscribe to. My only fear would be that they change that in the future, but I suspect that they wont since they are offering their own way of getting a live tv feed to other devices such as an IPad or other tablets with anyplay and it may prohibit them with that service. Not certain but hopeful.

You definitely have options

While I'm using and enjoying the flexibility NPVR/XBMC provides I'd recommend beginning the journey with a Windows machine and the QuickTV app during setup. Good reference initially

Also, setting up WMC is hands down the easiest possible way to go on any W7 laptop (I still keep it setup on the wife's su4100 laptop) It's a really good place to start and check your subscription and setup.

The ipad will have two options, instaTV (unless it's pulled again) and XBMC (requires jailbreak). The ipad2 used to support an app from Elgato, but I can't tell if that is still around. XBMC might not be worth the jailbreak and dealing with the UI, but the re-touched skin does make it more manageable. The XBMC route requires a backend which would logically run from your WHS, and it should work just fine for free (although honestly the instaTV app does look nicer/easier to navigate)

XBMC's PVR support should be the best in the long run, but it's still building momentum (and improving a lot)
post #33 of 45 Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the info Dark_Slayer it is truly helpful. I have both a laptop and desktop with Windows 7 that I would start off with.

The iPad would be an added bonus, however it technically belongs to the Mrs. and she won't have any jailbreak busines, lol. I did hear good things about the apps you mentioned so at least there's options.

Gonna check out the info on the links you provided, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 45 Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Things are moving along nicely. Control via both the XBMC remote app from the Android store and my own GUI designed with irule work very well. The unit seems to play nicely with my 4x4 matrix which was a concern. I haven't done a really thorough test with the matrix (2 TVs watching at the same time, switching one to something else and then back for example) but it does display video and play sound from all 4 connected TVs.

As an FYI the aaawave.com price went up $10 but it seems Amazon still has this for $99.

The unit barely breaks a sweat with a couple of compressed .MKV files I have and after 30 minutes of a full lossless 1080P blu-ray MKV it was warm but no super hot and the CPU usage for both cores was around 20%.

I'm very happy. It also seems like openELEC 3.0 was released yesterday. I'm running release candidate 2.99.5 right now.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #35 of 45 Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

Things are moving along nicely. Control via both the XBMC remote app from the Android store and my own GUI designed with irule work very well
LOL, even though I have a remote and the Yatse interface on my phone and Nexus 7, I still have a bookmark on our laptop browser for the XBMC web interface. One more way to control things is always nice when you reach the height of laziness and don't care to get up from the spot you carved into the couch. I use the AWXi web interface since it lets you see watched status
post #36 of 45 Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

LOL, even though I have a remote and the Yatse interface on my phone and Nexus 7, I still have a bookmark on our laptop browser for the XBMC web interface. One more way to control things is always nice when you reach the height of laziness and don't care to get up from the spot you carved into the couch. I use the AWXi web interface since it lets you see watched status

You seem like the go to expert for this stuff. Do you happen to know the JSON command to power off the system? I have WOL working well with iRule but no way to power it off besides navigating to the off button on the display. I have a macro in my iRule GUI for power on which turns the TV on, openElec powers on, all inputs are set, etc. I'd like to do the same with power off but can't seem to find a command. I know a command is out there as the xbmc remote app has power off and it works perfectly.

any ideas?

Thanks.

post #37 of 45 Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The xbmc web interface is the best one smile.gif
post #38 of 45 Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Openelec on my Arctic MC001 with 4GB of Ram and running off of a USB stick was able to play the 40, 60 and 80 Mbps .mkv jellyfish files ((http://jell.yfish.us/) pulled across my gigabit network from my unraid server without stuttering. It had some trouble with the 100 Mbps file. I only tested those 4, but was pleasantly surprised it went as high as 80.

post #39 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you happen to know the JSON command to power off the system?
Indeed
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "System.Shutdown", "id": 1}
Should do the trick
Quote:

You seem like the go to expert for this stuff.
I am only an expert reader http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSON-RPC_API/v6 wink.gif Funny but true, just about anything you want should be in there
post #40 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Openelec on my Arctic MC001 with 4GB of Ram and running off of a USB stick was able to play the 40, 60 and 80 Mbps .mkv jellyfish files ((http://jell.yfish.us/) pulled across my gigabit network from my unraid server without stuttering. It had some trouble with the 100 Mbps file. I only tested those 4, but was pleasantly surprised it went as high as 80.

Nice test
post #41 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Indeed
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "System.Shutdown", "id": 1}
Should do the trick
I am only an expert reader http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSON-RPC_API/v6 wink.gif Funny but true, just about anything you want should be in there

I took a look at that before posting and did some searching elsewhere. My problem I think is how iRule implements JSON. The commands that are working for me look like this, cursor UP for example:

jsonrpc?request=%7B%22jsonrpc%22%3A%222.0%22%2C%22method%22%3A%22Input.Up%22%2C%22id%22%3A1%7D

An irule support person indicated that he had a power off command working, it looks similar to the above and looks to be based off of the command you refernece:

jsonrpc?request=%7B%22jsonrpc%22%3A%222.0%22%2C%22method%22%3A%22System.Shutdown%22%2C%22id%22%3A1%7D

But, it doesn't work for me.

I've been able to puzzle through some RS232 protocol and even HTTP commands for Directv, but the JSON stuff might as well be Greek. I've heard a lot of XBMC users are upset the HTTP API control protocol is being fazed out for JSON and based on what I've seen so far, I get it.

post #42 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jsonrpc?request=%7B%22jsonrpc%22%3A%222.0%22%2C%22method%22%3A%22System.Shutdown%22%2C%22id%22%3A1%7D

Okay, so prepend the command with jsonrpc?request= then follow with the command

Sorry I've never used iRule, but it looks like you have to convert the command to a get variable on your own (usually automatic). Just use the % along with the appropriate hexadecimal equivalent of any ASCII punctuation mark. http://www.asciitable.com/

What the support person used is correct, but did you copy/paste this?

I notice in your post that the command has a space at the end, so it may be as simple as deleting that

Can't think of anything other than that or some other syntax/typo error
SeldomSeen31 likes this.
post #43 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, so prepend the command with jsonrpc?request= then follow with the command

Sorry I've never used iRule, but it looks like you have to convert the command to a get variable on your own (usually automatic). Just use the % along with the appropriate hexadecimal equivalent of any ASCII punctuation mark. http://www.asciitable.com/

What the support person used is correct, but did you copy/paste this?

I notice in your post that the command has a space at the end, so it may be as simple as deleting that

Can't think of anything other than that or some other syntax/typo error

Genius. The space at the end was the culprit. I have no idea how I missed that in the first place and certainly would not have found it after looking at the commands for an hour comparing the one that works and the shutdown one that failed.

Thanks so much.

post #44 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks so much.
Things are always much more fun when they work smile.gif

I know there is an iRule thread around here somewhere, maybe consider making a screenshot of your interface if you are happy with it. Sounds interesting and impressively flexible
post #45 of 45 Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Still tweaking a bit, getting buttons that will actually be used. i don't really think once all is set up that I'll need the numbers so I'll have some space for some other needed buttons.

The XBMC remote logo will launch that app if needed. The buttons on the left will go to my other sources for control.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page