Reinstalled WHS 2011, now I can't play my recordings in WMC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
So I just reinstalled WHS 2011 on my server, which stored all my WMC recordings via the TV archive plugin. Now these recordings won't playback in WMC. It says "Application Failure: A critical Windows Media Center process has failed. Restart the computer and try again. If the problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance". I've obviously tried restarting both machines at this point. Also, the few recordings that hadn't yet transfered from the WMC machine to the WHS 2011 machine play fine.

These are NOT copy once recordings. In fact, if I just navigate to the recordings in windows explorer, right click them, and select "Play with Windows Media Center", they play back perfectly fine. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'd uninstall the plug-in and reinstall it. If you restored WHS from its backup image this probably would have continued to work.

I'd start by moving a few archived recordings to the local HTPC drive and see if they play like normal. Worst case would be that you would need to move them all back over and re-archive them. It might be once you get a recording archived to the new install then everything might work again.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'd uninstall the plug-in and reinstall it. If you restored WHS from its backup image this probably would have continued to work.

I'd start by moving a few archived recordings to the local HTPC drive and see if they play like normal. Worst case would be that you would need to move them all back over and re-archive them. It might be once you get a recording archived to the new install then everything might work again.

How do you re-install the plugin? I just tried reinstalling the WHS connector software and that didn't work.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I think you uninstall Connector (reboot) and then re-install Connector (maybe reboot again).

post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ugh, I finally got this working again. I had noticed the TV archive plugin was not transferring new recordings to the server either, giving me an error about WMC not having permission to access the folder. Activating the guest account in the WHS console fixed everything, even though I already had a WHS account setup for the WMC machine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page