decoding DTS HD MA - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Sammy,
Yeah, my HTPC is just outputting HDMI directly into the Onkyo amp. Both Video and Audio.
The PC sees the Amp fine actually, When I turn it on, I can tell the additional audio device appears, when I select it (sometimes it says Onkyo, sometimes it's blank, not a big deal) I can configure the speakers, and it comes up with a 7.1 option, and can select the speakers size, etc. then confirm its setup correctly.
This is the Win7 SP1 x64 Windows audio configuration, no need to install anything else, as when you do the speaker test, all 7.1 speakers make there little sound (albeit the end of the sound as the amp switches every speaker on/off).

The problem (which wasn't a problem a few nights ago, until I started fiddling with it again! Arghhh) is when you use software like VLC (Doesn't work with HD audio at all does it?), Media Player, MPC, MPC-HC. All of the software I have installed/uninstalled/added filters/removed filters/etc is where the challenge comes in.
I was under the impression that I needed all this "stuff" to get my amp to play true 7.1 on my 7.1 setup through the PC, because it couldn't without it.

What I am really looking for from the Guru's here is a simple way to "Bitstream"? Or just dump the signal as it is without fudging with anything right to my amp which should be more than capable of doing the rest. Correct? smile.gif
How can I make any of the tools I listed above just dump the audio without touching it? I want to be able to do this for .mkv's (like Abc123.DTS-HD.1080p.mkv), or full Blue Ray's I have ripped to the HD to play. Of course this is no issue with my BluRay player on full BluRay's but I like to have my collection on the HD for easy/fast access.

Hope that is enough info, and I think I am taking the thread off topic a bit if all I really need is Bitstream? Appologies, I will start my search in that direction now that I am perceivably on the correct path forward. Any help would be much appreciated.
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian1 View Post

Hope that is enough info, and I think I am taking the thread off topic a bit if all I really need is Bitstream? Appologies, I will start my search in that direction now that I am perceivably on the correct path forward. Any help would be much appreciated.
G

I guess everyone may have differing opinions, but I think that the easiest way to bitstream at this point is to install the latest version of XBMC and use the following settings for audio

MPC-HC + LAV Audio should be very easy as well

Also, you have the appropriate Intel/ATI/Nvidia setup correct? Quoted from the Windows 7 Media Center and XBMC stickies
Quote:
The following platforms can bitstream DTS-HD MA & TrueHD
  • ATI/AMD HD5xxx/6xxx/7xxx and the E450/E350 APU series graphic cards
  • Nvidia GT430, GT440 & GT520, GTX560 and GT/GTX 6xx series graphic cards
  • Intel Core i3 (first and second generation and third) with integrated Intel HD 1000/2000/3000/2500/4000 GPU
Note - Intel includes all Pentium / Celeron desktop versions from the same generations as well as i5/i7
post #63 of 72 Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Thanks Dark_Slayer,
To answer your question first, I have Intel Core i5 with integrated Intel HD 2000 or 3000 so good there.
I WAS using MPC-HC + LAV, but that's what I am having a hard time setting back up. Could be a simple setting that I am missing to get it to truly bitstream, or could be because of the other filters, etc I have tried. This is leading me down just doing a good clean install on this PC anway.

But thanks! I had just DL'ed the latest build of XBMC to try, and with your settings picture, I will definitely try this out (before clean image just in case..)
G
post #64 of 72 Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well there is actually a pretty painless way to get full audio quality out (without being forced to bitstream or use PAP, talking getting it out over high quality analog multi-channel sound card) combined with the best video quality for DVD or blu-ray.

MPC + LAV + MadVR + proper version dtsdecoder.dll simply dropped into the LAV directory + AnyDVD HD

No need to have to mess around and convert audio formats and remux things and waste time. Just pop in the disc and go and your 24bit DTS-HD MA and everything else and superior scaling for old DVDs than from the commercial software. FINALLY!

These days you just drop dtsdecoder.dll into the LAV directory and it's good to go. And MadVR+LAV with nvidia gets CUVID acceleration with ease and then hit the madVR prefs and adjust up the scaling methods, taps, ring filtering and you are good to go.

Well, the one issue though is if I can't use my 5.1 system and have to use Benchmark PRE + headphones. I keep getting pops and clicks. frown.gif That stuff can be touchy with some sound sources, but I've never had such trouble as with the above set up I just can't find a way to get rid of the pops and clicks frown.gif.
post #65 of 72 Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

But thanks! I had just DL'ed the latest build of XBMC to try, and with your settings picture, I will definitely try this out (before clean image just in case..)

Note that the Audio Output and Passthrough Output device options may not read exactly the same way, but in your case the one you need to select should read something like "WASAPI - HDMI - PCH" (can't remember exactly) this is what you'll use for both

Also, the audio settings on a XBMC install will work w/ or w/o a clean image as it doesn't have any external codec dependencies for its internal player
post #66 of 72 Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

Well there is actually a pretty painless way to get full audio quality out (without being forced to bitstream or use PAP, talking getting it out over high quality analog multi-channel sound card) combined with the best video quality for DVD or blu-ray.

MPC + LAV + MadVR + proper version dtsdecoder.dll simply dropped into the LAV directory + AnyDVD HD

No need to have to mess around and convert audio formats and remux things and waste time. Just pop in the disc and go and your 24bit DTS-HD MA and everything else and superior scaling for old DVDs than from the commercial software. FINALLY!

These days you just drop dtsdecoder.dll into the LAV directory and it's good to go. And MadVR+LAV with nvidia gets CUVID acceleration with ease and then hit the madVR prefs and adjust up the scaling methods, taps, ring filtering and you are good to go.

Well, the one issue though is if I can't use my 5.1 system and have to use Benchmark PRE + headphones. I keep getting pops and clicks. frown.gif That stuff can be touchy with some sound sources, but I've never had such trouble as with the above set up I just can't find a way to get rid of the pops and clicks frown.gif.

Is a disc played with this configuration superior to one played in a standalone player, such as the oppo?
post #67 of 72 Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post

Is a disc played with this configuration superior to one played in a standalone player, such as the oppo?

too subjective for anyone to say definitively

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #68 of 72 Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

What audio renderer are you using? I would try ReClock with WASAPI Exclusive output if you aren't already.
post #69 of 72 Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Strange situation last night with XBMC (latest build). If I set the audio up to the WASAPI:HDMI I would get no sound or all this crazy static. If I selected Analog(wtf did this come from?) the sound would come out and be clear, but I could still not get it to output 7.1 only 5.1. I finally gave up and decided today to just do a clean fresh install..

Ok, after installing a clean Win7 x64 SP1, with ONLY the Intel drivers to clean up Device Manager and get network working etc, I now have a clean setup with HDMI showing the AMP and that Intel is controlling the audio.
The problem still remains, even though I can configure Windows 7 for 7.1 speakers, I can't get the "Encoded Format's" page to show anything other than the default 3: DTS, DD, and DD Plus.
I have not installed any MPC-HC or XMBC yet, I want to be as pure as I can and get this working.
Keep in mind I am using test files that have 7.1 DTS-HD (hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts) and Dolby True HD (hd_dolby_truehd_channel_check_lossless.m2ts) from this site: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

Any thoughts? Why must 7.1 be so difficult. I have been reading and think the best solution next is just load back up MPC-HC with LAV and Reclock (have never used reclock before, maybe it will be the solution).
Thanks, G
post #70 of 72 Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Until you fix the issue with 'supported formats' - to show DTS HD and TrueHD, it won't matter which software combination you choose you will only get the supported formats (in your case DD, DTS and DD+).

Likely it is a driver issue - also make sure you have installed the 'intel management engine interface driver'.
post #71 of 72 Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Until you fix the issue with 'supported formats' - to show DTS HD and TrueHD, it won't matter which software combination you choose you will only get the supported formats (in your case DD, DTS and DD+).

Likely it is a driver issue - also make sure you have installed the 'intel management engine interface driver'.

Hi Steelman,
I thought that would be the case as well, but it appears the easiest solution was to downlLav Filters MegaMixgaMix" from this site.
My speaker still shows only those 3 codecs even after installing it, it loads the POT player which is ok, not used to it, but both of the above mentioned test files work perfectly in 7.1!
The reciever recognizes PCM (which I read is fine when the pc is not doing the decoding, it allows the amp to do it's job which its better at).

I will continue to mess around with it, and figure out what it's doing that I couldn't do without all this software, but since it installs MPC-HC also, I will try that and if it works now with 7.1 may just make the "MegaMix" my go to software download from now on.
post #72 of 72 Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Hi Steelman,
I thought that would be the case as well, but it appears the easiest solution was to downlLav Filters MegaMixgaMix" from this site.
My speaker still shows only those 3 codecs even after installing it, it loads the POT player which is ok, not used to it, but both of the above mentioned test files work perfectly in 7.1!
The reciever recognizes PCM (which I read is fine when the pc is not doing the decoding, it allows the amp to do it's job which its better at).

I will continue to mess around with it, and figure out what it's doing that I couldn't do without all this software, but since it installs MPC-HC also, I will try that and if it works now with 7.1 may just make the "MegaMix" my go to software download from now on.

In this set-up though, your PC IS doing all the encoding (proven by your receiver showing PCM - if it was bitstreaming it would show either DT-HD MA or TrueHD). There is nothing wrong with the method you describe (it is identical to bitstreaming to your receiver to decode) and you are getting correctly decoded playback because the pack includes the dtsdecoderdll,dll require to properly decode DTS HD audio.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page