Picture size issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung PN43E45 47" 720p Plasma being used with a Win 7 Home Premium HTPC and am unable to find an effective resolution setting. The 720p setting (on the PC) takes up the full screen (vertically and horizontally) and significant amounts of both sides are trimmed off. Every other setting results in variations on this theme.

Samsung tech support says that since I am using a motherboard with integrated video (Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H) instead of a video card, the TV will not offer the aspect ratio (Wide Fit) needed to accommodate video from WMC. I'm looking for a second opinion; do I need a video card? And if so, can someone recommend a modestly-priced one that offers both HDMI & VGA output?

All help is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Go into the Intel graphics properties and adjust the aspect ratio. I set mine to 75 vert, 75 horiz. and that fixed the problem.

post #3 of 14 Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I leave the desktop alone and "calibrate" video in XBMC then apply settings to all videos, depending on which front end you use and how you use the HTPC that may or may not work for you
post #4 of 14 Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
See if there is a overscan option on your TV and turn it off.

You can also look for an overscan option in your video control settings. Other than that, what DropKick will work fine. I've done it with the integrated NVidia card on my PC.

If you want a lot control over it, you can also try out PowerStrip. You can really fine tune your resolution. Make sure you read up on it and learn how to use it. It's easy to bork things and get no picture.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Update: It's an AMD chip and there is no aspect ratio setting. Using Windows Media Center and can't calibrate the video. No overscan option on my TV and the overscan settings in my video settings don't solve the problem.

At this point, I'm looking for the minimal effort solution and the PowerStrip learning curve is more than I want to deal with. Can anyone recommend a modestly-priced video card that offers both HDMI & VGA output that will give me a decent picture? All I'll be doing on this machine is watching TV - no games or 3-D or anything graphics intensive.

I appreciate the input so far.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilejack1 View Post

Samsung tech support says that since I am using a motherboard with integrated video (Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H) instead of a video card

Integrated video (Radeon HD 64xx/65xx) is no different from a discrete card, it's just sitting on the chip...

Have you tried custom resolutions by editing the registry? How.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16

You're describing OVERSCAN or ZOOM.  This is a simple settings issue.  The thing I found odd about your Samsung is its native 1024x768 panel yet it says it's Samsung PN43D450 43-Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL].  This seems odd because the 1024x768 is 1.3333 AR, or 4:3 yet accomodating 16:9 Aspect Ratio images.  Hmmmm....

In the manual it mentions a Screen Fit picture option amongst 16:9, Zoom1, Zoom2, Wide Fit and 4:3 on page 2.  It seems Screen Fit is what the TV should be set to when using a PC:

Quote:

Screen Fit: Displays the full image without any cut-off when your TV is inputting HDMI (720p / 1080i / 1080p) or Component (1080i / 1080p) HD signals.

HD (High Definition) has a 16:9 aspect ratio and 1080i/1080p (1920x1080) or 720p (1280x720) resolution.

Now for the PC -- you want to set it to whichever video gives you the best perceived image on the TV.  Normally the rule is to set it to the display panel's native resolution, but 1024x768 ???  I think not.  Additionally, if this doesn't get you fixed (full windows display with no cut-off of the image) then you need to check in the Catalyst Control Center the overscan setting and set it to 0%.

Let us know which resolution "looks" the best -- none make any sense so whatever you pick the TV's internal scaler will have to process the image (down in resolution) to fit it onto their 1024x768 panel...

One more point, after you get the desktop fit to the TV, use that same resolution inside WMC when it asks you for the output resolution to fit your display.

post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

My only picture size options while connected to the PC currently are 16:9 & 4:3. Samsung says that is because I am using integrated video instead of a discrete card, and that with a card installed, the other options will be available. They also say "Wide Fit" is the best choice for broadcast HDTV feeds with my setup.

Does that make sense?
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Based on Andrew's quote from the manual, it appears that the display offers built-in image rescaling

Have you tried 1080p from the Intel Graphics Options?

If it won't allow you to select that display size based on the EDID info it's reading from your Samsung, you can try adding it as a custom resolution

Screen Fit does sound like the correct option

Edit: No, the Samsung customer service rep is pulling answers out of their . . . you know
post #10 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Dark -- He's got an AMD FM1-based mobo... hence, no Intel video.  AMD FM1 APUs have some version of HD6xxx graphics and would use (or should be downloaded) the CCC Suite.  I agree, he should also try setting Auto-Detect to OFF in the CCC to avoid any shortcomings in which resolution settings he's offered.

OP -- What happens when you select Screen Fit ?  Try to follow my 1st post as I still think it'll get you through...  When you say "My only picture size options while connected to the PC currently are 16:9 & 4:3." what do you mean?  That sounds like inside WMC and we're talking at the PC level which is in terms of pixel count, like 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080 not simply an Aspect Ratio.  Consider you're attaching a display to your PC not hooking up a PC to a TV.  Once you have the full desktop displaying you'll be better suited to switch on WMC and establish the settings for watching video, TV, etc.  One more thing: reread the quote for Screen Fit because that IS the picture option that switches off overscan... and you said there is no overscan option on your TV  cool.gif

post #11 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

"What happens when you select Screen Fit ?"

When attached to the PC, the Screen Fit option which you recommend is greyed out in my TV's Picture Options" settings, as are Zoom1, Zoom2, and Wide Fit . By way of comparison, when attached to my Roku, the Wide Fit & Screen Fit are greyed out, 16:9, 4:3, Zoom 1 & Zoom 2 are functional).

"Consider you're attaching a display to your PC not hooking up a PC to a TV. Once you have the full desktop displaying you'll be better suited to switch on WMC and establish the settings for watching video, TV, etc."

Do you mean I should pick a resolution that looks good on my desktop and proceed to setup WMC? That's what I've been trying. I've found several resolution that display my desktop reasonably well, but all of them are subject to the problem that launched this thread.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Do you have ITC processing checked?
Try unchecking it and see it the options on the Samsung are grayed out.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with ITC processing. Would that be a PC setting or a TV setting?
post #14 of 14 Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

This is interesting as the top of page 3 in the manual breaks these "Picture Size" into 2 catagories based upon the interpreted resolution: 480i/480p has Zoom1, Zoom2 modes while the hi-def 720p/1080i/1080p resolutions will have WideFit and Screen Fit modes.  Based on this I'd say your TV sees these as 480 resolution devices, which isn't really a surprise.  RIGHT-click on your desktop, open Screen Resolution and raise it up to 1280x720 and see how things go. This should allow you to then change the TV to Screen Fit and viola`

Oh... you asked about picking one that looks good: remember, NO DESKTOP will look good once a scaler is in the loop!  The sharpest image will always result when the resolution is exactly 1:1 pixel count with the native panel.  You're (presumably) hooking your PC to a 47" Plasma display because you want to sit on your sofa and "do" stuff -- NOT because you want a larger display for Excel.  You may find that picking 1024x768 from your PC will (most likely) give you the clearest, sharpest display for your Excel spreadsheet, but it may not play well for video playback.  BTW, what DO you want to do on this setup?  When you mention WMC, it's usually for movies, TV and the such... again, you want to get the desktop showing in full ON THE TV before you ever try WMC.  The resolutions CAN'T look "reasonbly well" with the top, bottom & sides cut off... what resolution do you have your video card set to while you're testing this?  Which APU model (A4-xxxx, A6-xxxx, A8-xxxx) are you running?  Do you have CCC loaded up and running?  Which release - 12.xx, 13.xx?  Do you have this PC already running on a separate display besides the TV you're trying to use it on, so you know your build is working?  HOW do you have the display connected, DVI, VGA or HDMI?  Maybe we're missing some basics here... Get that, tell us what worked and then move on to WMC, please.

Samsung saying you need a discrete video card is a load of horse sh!t... The A-series APU is a great core and the video is very nice in the HD6xxx range so don't listen to that hogwash.

We'll get you running... stay tuned :-)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page