looking for external blu ray writer - LG? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a blu ray writer for my PC to backup camcorder video clips of my daughter. The content is priceless (her birth date, first food, first crawl, etc.), so I want a reliable one. I saw this LG one at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+BE12LU38+External+Blu-ray+Writer+-+Retail+Pack/4146708.p?id=1218456867987&skuId=4146708&st=blu%20ray%20writer&cp=1&lp=4

However, my PC does not have esata. Would USB too slow to backup data?

I have an external hard drive I'm also backing up to. Want another means of backup though.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
USB is too slow for an external blu-ray writer. However, there are a few externals that use TWO usb cables to connect, thus doubling the speed. However, IMO, usb is not a very reliable connection. I had an external dvd burner that had both usb and firewire. The usb connection would get me failed discs about 1 out of every 6 times. The firewire would never have any hiccups.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

USB is too slow for an external blu-ray writer. However, there are a few externals that use TWO usb cables to connect, thus doubling the speed. However, IMO, usb is not a very reliable connection. I had an external dvd burner that had both usb and firewire. The usb connection would get me failed discs about 1 out of every 6 times. The firewire would never have any hiccups.

???? USB2 or USB3 is definitely fast enough for a blu-ray drive. Portable drives that use 2 USB cables don't do it for higher data throughput but rather for additional electrical power. A single USB port can only put out 5 Watts. You should be able to write Blu-Ray at 4X or 5X and DVD at up to 8X. Is there a reason for wanting an external? Your OP says PC, an internal is cheaper and faster.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

???? USB2 or USB3 is definitely fast enough for a blu-ray drive. Portable drives that use 2 USB cables don't do it for higher data throughput but rather for additional electrical power. A single USB port can only put out 5 Watts. You should be able to write Blu-Ray at 4X or 5X and DVD at up to 8X. Is there a reason for wanting an external? Your OP says PC, an internal is cheaper and faster.

Well, I don't know how to install an internal. I'd have to mess with taking my PC (a 24" all in one) up to Best Buy, leaving it there, and having them charge an arm and leg for something that probably takes them 10 minutes to do.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-14-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a tower you ought consider internal. Your wallet and resulting disks will thank you. Installing an optical drive doesn't take much more than a Phillips screwdriver generally. Here are some YouTube tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=install+an+optical+drive&page=&utm_source=opensearch
post #6 of 11 Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have a tower you ought consider internal. Your wallet and resulting disks will thank you. Installing an optical drive doesn't take much more than a Phillips screwdriver generally. Here are some YouTube tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=install+an+optical+drive&page=&utm_source=opensearch

I do not have a tower--I have a Sony all in one. 24" I think. I just verified the specs, no esata frown.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the LG External one I am looking at is an old, discontinued model. If I decide to go internal, would any internal work with my Sony all-in-one? Sorry I don't have the model number with me.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

You could use a separate enclosure like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392021 with a full size drive.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You could use a separate enclosure like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392021 with a full size drive.

So, are you saying I wouldn't be able to get a new blu ray drive/burner internally?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You could also upgrade the internal drive to BluRay. I don't know which size is built in, but if it's a Slim Line (notebook style) drive I'd go with an enclosure and a 'half height' (full size) drive.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You could also upgrade the internal drive to BluRay. I don't know which size is built in, but if it's a Slim Line (notebook style) drive I'd go with an enclosure and a 'half height' (full size) drive.

It has a blu dray drive in it now (will play blu rays, but no write/burn ability).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page