SSD Upgrade - Error with Drive Boot Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, I was hoping someone out there could help me out with my little problem. Thanks to Assassian, I was able to build my own HTPC about 2 years ago. I tried to upgrade to an SSD about a year ago but the drive was bad, so i sent it back and got another. I just recently had some time and tried to install it.

My plan was to disconnect the HDD drive, connect the SDD drive, instal windows, updates, and required programs. Then reconnect the HDD drive and delete/format/repartition the C Drive then use it for media storage.

The install itself went pretty good. I was able to connect the SDD with no problems and even load windows. Windows booted up the first time with no problem and every thing was great - i started downloading my required programs (XMBC, iTunes, AVS, etc). My next step was to edit the BIOS to allow for boot up of the SSD in the first position. This may be where my error was (i'm not 100% sure I did it first thing in the AM then left for work). I then booted up windows from the BIOS screen no problem and let it download some of the final windows updates and went to work.

When I got home there was just a black screen that read "press any key to run xpress recovery2." weird. so i ran it and it froze on me so i shut the computer down and left it for this afternoon. I ran the "Xpress Recovery 2" program by GIGABYTE and it gives me the Error 500 - IDE drive does not exist or ALL primary partitions are occupied"

I've been trying to troubleshoot (as much as i can) and I could not find any issues. I think I may have changed the BIOS settings (stupid i know) to "optimal" or something and saved it, which could have caused the problem. IT seems like the computer is not reading my SSD drive. I disconnected it and it booted up fine with the old HDD. I switch the slot that it was plugged into on the mother board, and when it shows the boot of each spot, it freezes for a bit when it gets to the SSD.

Hopefully there is a simple switch to the BIOS settings that I can perform to make the change. I hope the drive has not gone bad. When my original SSD did not work, it would give me the same error on start up - it would recognize a drive connected.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Sounds like you might have switched it from IDE to AHCI mode in bios after the install.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly might have - i tried to change that again in the BIOS but i dont think i found it (or the change didnt work). I got a pop up on the screen before windows loaded and i think thats what it asked. I assumed the correct answer was Yes (since they suggested that). Terrible move?

Is it an easy fix?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You have to either be in AHCI (the preferred mode for ssd performance) or IDE/RAID mode. You can't switch.

Try switching back to IDE.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
You can switch from IDE to AHCI but it requires a registry change.

Go back to IDE mode and boot into windows. Then follow an online guide to switch from IDE to AHCI mode in the registry (I will not link to one as I don't want to be responsible if something bad happens although people have done this many times with no issues).

Again, anytime you change the registry you should do so at your own risk. Good luck!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I assume thats in the BIOS menu?

If necessary i'm fine reformatting the drive and starting over....
post #7 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You can switch from IDE to AHCI but it requires a registry change.

Go back to IDE mode and boot into windows. Then follow an online guide to switch from IDE to AHCI mode in the registry (I will not link to one as I don't want to be responsible if something bad happens although people have done this many times with no issues).

Again, anytime you change the registry you should do so at your own risk. Good luck!

Trust me, I wasn't trying to do it on purpose. Is there a way to just start over from scratch?
post #8 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

FYI .. here is a shot of my BIOS. I've tried to boot up with both "SATA AHCI Mode" in IDA and AHCI. Same issue for each. Both times I had "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" Matching (IDE or AHCI).

Should I adjust anywhere but in "Integrated Peripherals"?

Thanks.

Again, I'm happy to start from scratch if possible...

post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
With it now in IDE mode, you should be able to boot up, THEN change it over using any of the guides.

However, if I were you.....

I'd download the latest ISO and put it on a USB drive, make sure you set the USB drive to be bootable
Disconnect all your other drives except maybe the DVD in case you need drivers.
Boot the computer, go into BIOS and set it to run AHCI from the start.
Then boot from the USB stick and format the SSD. This puts a nice,shiny new OS on your system

Since you disconnected your other drives, you can attach the current primary drive to copy over any files/folders later.

The time you SAVE doing it this way is worth the minor aggravation from starting over and the system will be rock solid.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately - the change I made in the picture, it still does not boot up from the SSD drive. Is there another place to change settings than the one menu I showed?

Could something have happened to the drive itself?

FYI - I just connected the other hard drive (standard HDD that i had before) and windows ran fine (after a pause on the screen when it is loading all of the ports and each device - see picture). The BIOS was set to AHCI for both places in the picture that say IDE.

post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
At this point my advice is to get a tool to secure erase the ssd (OCZ offers one with an iso that boots into Linux off a cd) and set it for AHCI on that screen in the bios and start over from scratch if you don't mind that.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page