Win 8 Photo Viewer Slideshow Displays Incorrect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had win 7 and had no issues but after upgrading to win8, picture previews/ photo viewer using the slide show in full screen results in pictures not being shown correctly showing the top left portion of the picture zoomed in.
I also tried an old game "Sid Miers Alpha Centurai" which resulted in the same type of resolution showing the top left of the screen zoomed in, (i also bought the GOG version of the same game which supports win8 and the resolution is normal works ok)
Also under windows 8 when running secondlife, when i right click to access a menu the cursor appears a few inches to the top left of where i clicked,
So definitely windows slideshow is an indicator that something is not right
I have the tryed a number of graphics card drivers with my card, including the latest, AND beta drivers for Win 8 but it gives the same effect.
I have an ATI HD5750 card running Win 8 64 bit. running on a Lenova montior. ( i also updated the monitor driver to see if that was the cause, but produced no result),

I posted this also at micosoft community but all i got was a stupid answer saying to make sure magnification was off.

Heres a video of my desktop, anyone know how to fix this?
ignore the magnification, had it onscreen to show the "so called" microsoft technician it was not the cause,

http://youtu.be/LKJ8MK2Dmz4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Are you by any chance using two monitors? Try turning off the 2nd extended.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

i do extend the display, but i have thought of this already; however to act on your advice and double check....
i have physically removed the dvi connection to the other monitor so only 1 monitor is plugged in, nope i still have the same problem.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I think the issue is with your video card. Try a different video card.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #5 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

i do extend the display, but i have thought of this already; however to act on your advice and double check....
i have physically removed the dvi connection to the other monitor so only 1 monitor is plugged in, nope i still have the same problem.

I think the issue is with your video card. Try a different video card.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

You should be able to disable the 2nd monitor through the control panel, either by r clicking on desktop and go to screen resolutions or the Cat control panel either way you should be able to turn it off. When I first loaded up W8 Pro I also had two monitors running and found out that 8 has a bug in extended mode where it will zoom the desktop and anything associated with it. From what I can gather you have physically removed the connection and the problem is still present? Umm odd... ok try leaving one monitor connected check resolution and reinstall the driver.

Foxbat it could be the video card but I really don't think so because this happened to my 6xxx card also. I'll test it on my main rig.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I tested it on my main rig and don't get the zoomed fx when not in extended this is with W8 Pro x64+ MCE ATi 6850.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, seemed sensible.
So i made sure i only had one monitor plugged in,,,
I used the ATI setup to remove all drivers and ATI programs did a reboot, i went to device manager/ display adapter checked to see.. said pnp display adaptor
I tried photo viewer using pnp generic display adaptor still same result of zoomed in picture of top left hmm very odd.

So then thought to install the latest ATI Cataylst but sadly noting was fixed.

Its very puzzling, if i use irfanview picture viewer there is no problem.Irfanview slideshow works fine in win8

My old game of Alpha centurai (for XP) still starts up same with top left corner zoomed in (tried it also before i did the ati drivers as well as after) (plz note i repurchased this game for the win8 version which works fine with no top left zoom shennanigans).

Another odd thing i noticed about system tray is if i right click one of the icons i have loaded some of the menus are cut from view (carrying on to the right side off the screen).
i can rearrange the system tray icons so its not a problem, tho in win7 , windows knew that it was at the edge of the screen and would show the right clicked menus on the left side so i could see them, but win8 carries on these menus off the screen far right.
The taskbar otherwise looks normal so its a bit of a mystery.

I can only think its a result of upgrading from win7 wanting to keep some programs and files.
Otherwise i`ll have to do a fresh install of win8 which isnt a big deal really tho will take a long time to install everything like i had it. (hopefully this will solve any problems but if it doesnt then i`ll be screaming loudly)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess you could try refreshing your system, you can find it in PC settings under General, it will save your existing files so no need to reinstall personal apps. Another thing I did right after I installed W8 was to delete the .old folder and clean out the temp folder just to be safe when I first started installing the upgrade. Disc cleanup takes care of that, my temp folder was over 10gigs after the install even disc cleanup didn't get rid of certain folders that had to be manually deleted.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page