Should I wait for Haswell? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 251 Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Cyber what did you ultimately end up doing ? You still rocking your AMD set up ?

Broadwell is almost here !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 251 Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Cyber what did you ultimately end up doing ? You still rocking your AMD set up ?

Broadwell is almost here !

Last I heard it was going to be Q4 in 2014, is that still the projected release date? I got a couple builds coming up and I'd hate to build a new PC and HTPC and then the new Broadwell's come out a month later.
post #243 of 251 Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Last I heard it was going to be Q4 in 2014, is that still the projected release date? I got a couple builds coming up and I'd hate to build a new PC and HTPC and then the new Broadwell's come out a month later.

I was thinking march of 2014

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #244 of 251 Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

I was thinking march of 2014

You living in a cave or somethin'? smile.gif

Broadwell has been pushed back, and that was announced many month ago already.
First will be a Haswell refresh, which means a new mainboard chipset and a couple additional CPUs in different configurations.

We will be lucky if we see Broadwell this year still.
post #245 of 251 Old 01-24-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Everyone knows it's Cannonlake that'll make the perfect HTPC. That's what I am waiting for.

wink.gif

post #246 of 251 Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You living in a cave or somethin'? smile.gif

Broadwell has been pushed back, and that was announced many month ago already.
First will be a Haswell refresh, which means a new mainboard chipset and a couple additional CPUs in different configurations.

We will be lucky if we see Broadwell this year still.

I guess so. I thought it was late 2013 to early 2014.

-

post #247 of 251 Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Everyone knows it's Cannonlake that'll make the perfect HTPC. That's what I am waiting for.

wink.gif

Links or info or it isn't true biggrin.gif

-

post #248 of 251 Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Links or info or it isn't true biggrin.gif

No links needed for something self-evident.

post #249 of 251 Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Its a shame that Cannonlake won't be with us until 2017 or something ridiculously long time away like that.
Gotta pass the time in between with something. For me, I'll build a new extreme workstation PC with a Haswell-E later this year. smile.gif

My Ivy HTPC should be fine until at least Broadwell, maybe even Skylake, depending on which features Broadwell gets (or doesn't get for that matter)
post #250 of 251 Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Its a shame that Cannonlake won't be with us until 2017 or something ridiculously long time away like that.
Gotta pass the time in between with something. For me, I'll build a new extreme workstation PC with a Haswell-E later this year. smile.gif

My Ivy HTPC should be fine until at least Broadwell, maybe even Skylake, depending on which features Broadwell gets (or doesn't get for that matter)

Nice biggrin.gif

I want to move to Haswell E too. Hopefully price is affordable.. I'm thinking $300 for mobo and $500 for CPU but I have no clue about DDR4

-

post #251 of 251 Old 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by renethx 

I expect more from my manufacturer. Things like coming out of sleep, holding your wmc resolution and not letting it change on its own, sending an actual video feed through the hdmi cable, etc are extremely fundamental to me and should "just work". I don't really care about the other "complexities" if they can't nail the fundamentals each and every time.
I am using JRiver and I have this problem. Specifically, when I watch some HD channels or local video files, of which I assume are 720p, my windows desktop resolution will change from 1080p to 720p. So when I finish watching whatever I am watching everything will be "zoomed in" and much of the desktop is not displayed. This is frustrating for obvious reasons. I started a thread in the JRiver forum but got only one suggestion and it was of no help. I found a link to this thread posted in another thread on JRiver forum, in refernce to screen resolution issues with AMD cards/drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
I've posted this before but the WMC resize issue is a simple fix. I've done this on my last 3 AMD based living room HTPC including my current A8-3820. When WMC is resized to 1024x768, while still in WMC, go to the setup and set the resolution to the same as the desktop (my desktop is 1920x1080 and WMC is set to 1080p). Once I've done this no more resize when AVR inputs are changed or the TV is turned off then back on.
I have WMC installed and used for a short while but never experienced this problem while using it. I went ahead and tried this anyway. When my res was 720p i went to WMC and went through the TV setup wizard and changed to 1080. It changed it in WMC, but when I exited WMC the display reverted back to 720p. I changed it to 1080 in AMD's CCC and tried watching a 720 file in JRiver. Same problem still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by tawd1992 

+1

I set the resolution in WMC & still get the 1024x768 resolution once in awhile. This is with an i3-2100 using integrated graphics & the HTPC is hooked up directly to an HDTV. I think this is more of a quirk with WMC than video drivers. Whenever I do get the 1024x768 resolution I can close WMC & the desktop resolution is 1920x1080.

I ran for a year without ever seeing this behavior on two boxes with the same chip you mentioned, Clarksdale was bad for this.

I am not currently running iGPUs now as I am trying to make madVR a workable daily solution which means JRiver. JRiver, madVR and a Ceton will make any issues with WMC seem trivial.. Make that JRiver, madVR, Ceton and AMD discrete now you have something that will make your hair stand on end. Such potential, such frustration.
Looks like I am not alone. Are you experiencing the same problems I am, gtgray?

I like JRiver, the front end is great IMO and the audio/video is best I have tried. It's just depressing that I can't get much help from their support forum after purchasing their product when there are a couple other options that are free, but not as good IMO. Maybe it's because I am not as HTPC or A/V savvy as many of the JRiver forum users?

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone might have.

hardware: AMD A10-6800, R9 290x, 8GB ram, ASRock FM2A85X.

Last edited by racefacexc; 06-22-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added hardware
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Intel , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor
Gear in this thread - G2020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page