Should I wait for Haswell? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I have an aging E7200 dual core Intel system - and all that comes with it (USB2, SATA2, etc). I have an ATI 6750 vid card, as well as a Ceton tuner. I also have a SATA3 add in card because I am running many hard drives and an optical drive (literally 10 drives total).

It has been giving me some issues now and again. Sometimes I will get a green screen instead of the picture, unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable fixes it. It will sometimes slow down, then speed back up. Slow reboots at times as it fights to find the drives directly connected to the motherboard. Nothing that happens on a regular basis, nor often enough to really be anything more than a minor nuisance. With that in mind, I think it is getting to be the time to upgrade the hardware - and also get some power savings in the process. I plan on no longer running a discreet video card when I upgrade.

Should I just wait another few months for Haswell, or are the current crop of IGP 4000 Intels plenty good? Are there any nagging issues with them? When will Haswell finally appear in HTPC friendly form?

Thanks for any and all input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you're not planning on using a video card, then I would wait for Haswell.

post #3 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Or go with AMD.

post #4 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Or go with AMD.

We're still having major issues with the AMD drivers unfortunately. I thought the issues were behind them for HTPC use. Nope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would wait for Haswell if you are interested in going Intel.

Socket 1155 will die off once the new socket is released.

That being said, if your current system dies and you find a really good Sandy/Ivy Bridge deal, go for it. The system should still last for years.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #6 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

We're still having major issues with the AMD drivers unfortunately.

Exactly what issues do you have with the latest 13.1 driver?

-

-
post #7 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

sA couple of things to note about desktop Haswell:

- Only quad-core SKUs (Core i5/i7, ~$200 or more) are available in Q2 (actually June). Core i3 will not be released until Q3 (perhaps September).

- Intel to Launch Core i “Haswell” Platform in “Cautious Volumes” Because of USB 3.0 Issues

- All desktop SKUs have "Intel HD Graphics 4600" (GT2). GT2 is only 15-25% better than the current Intel graphics 4000. Intel HD Graphics 5200 (GT3), 50-100% better, is available only in mobile SKUs. (But this does not matter for HTPC, video playback will run on ASICs, not EUs, unless you use madVR and/or SVP.) The number of EUs (important for gaming, madVR, SVP, and other applications that use Direct3D/OpenGL/OpenCL):

12 in SNB
16 in IVB
20 in desktop Haswell
40 in certain mobile Haswell

- It is yet unknown if the current fundamental issues of Intel graphics in video playback area are fixed or not. (Not everybody considers the issues as issues, of course.)

-

-
post #8 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Exactly what issues do you have with the latest 13.1 driver?

Example: Amd build setup and working well at our shop by our builders and technicians with all the latest drivers. Then send the unit to the customer and various issues with screen size, handshake issues, incompatibilities, unwanted changes coming out of sleep, etc. We have 10x more issues with amd drivers (putting it kindly there and probably underestimating) than nvidia and intel combined.

I thought these issues were behind amd and am really disappointed that they persist.

post #9 of 251 Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Example: Amd build setup and working well at our shop by our builders and technicians with all the latest drivers. Then send the unit to the customer and various issues with screen size, handshake issues, incompatibilities, unwanted changes coming out of sleep, etc. We have 10x more issues with amd drivers (putting it kindly there and probably underestimating) than nvidia and intel combined.

I thought these issues were behind amd and am really disappointed that they persist.

OK, that's a kind of statistics and I see why you recommend Intel over AMD as a *system builder*. AMD driver is obviously more complex than Intel's (primitive, a kind of) and NVIDIA's (dead, so stable). It's good now that AMD stopped releasing a new driver every month and carelessly reintroducing past issues (hopefully).

-

-
post #10 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, that's a kind of statistics and I see why you recommend Intel over AMD as a *system builder*. AMD driver is obviously more complex than Intel's (primitive, a kind of) and NVIDIA's (dead, so stable). It's good now that AMD stopped releasing a new driver every month and carelessly reintroducing past issues (hopefully).

Well, that's one way to look at it I guess. Personally I have had these issues as well. I don't think it has much to do with "complexity" (or lack thereof). I think it has to do with amd catering to the gaming market and rushing new drivers out to eek out that tiny little bit of 0.001% gaming performance improvement over their last buggy driver.

I expect more from my manufacturer. Things like coming out of sleep, holding your wmc resolution and not letting it change on its own, sending an actual video feed through the hdmi cable, etc are extremely fundamental to me and should "just work". I don't really care about the other "complexities" if they can't nail the fundamentals each and every time.

But that's just my opinion not as a system builder but as an htpc end user having struggled and been driven almost mad by these issues personally in the past.

post #11 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

So exactly what issues do you personally have with the current latest *13.1* driver (not older ones) if you recently run an AMD graphics seriously?

-

-
post #12 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 01:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So exactly what issues do you personally have with the current latest *13.1* driver (not older ones) if you ever run an AMD graphics seriously?

I just listed them.

On avs most people reading this are all system builders in their own right in some sense BTW. I don't get paid anything by any of the vendors and use and build all three (amd, nvidia, intel) each and every week. I really wish amd would fix this as I am not alone and I think this continues to hinder an otherwise excellent product for htpc.

post #13 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

So your problem is
Quote:
Things like coming out of sleep, holding your wmc resolution and not letting it change on its own, sending an actual video feed through the hdmi cable, etc

(Quick fixes are known if I understand your problem correctly.) Any others? None?

-

-
post #14 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So your problem is
(Quick fixes are known if I understand your problem correctly.) Any others? None?

So we agree there are bugs.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on if they are "quick" fixes.

post #15 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So we agree there are bugs.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on if they are "quick" fixes.

So
Quote:
coming out of sleep, holding your wmc resolution and not letting it change on its own, sending an actual video feed through the hdmi cable

is your only problem with the current AMD driver. That's enough. (Personally I haven't seen this phenomenon, so I can't say any further.)

-

-
post #16 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Only quad-core SKUs (Core i5/i7, ~$200 or more) are available in Q2 (actually June). Core i3 will not be released until Q3 (perhaps September).

- Intel to Launch Core i “Haswell” Platform in “Cautious Volumes” Because of USB 3.0 Issues

- All desktop SKUs have "Intel HD Graphics 4600" (GT2). GT2 is only 15-25% better than the current Intel graphics 4000. Intel HD Graphics 5200 (GT3), 50-100% better, is available only in mobile SKUs. (But this does not matter for HTPC, video playback will run on ASICs, not EUs, unless you use madVR and/or SVP.) The number of EUs (important for gaming, madVR, SVP, and other applications that use Direct3D/OpenGL/OpenCL):

12 in SNB
16 in IVB
20 in desktop Haswell

- It is yet unknown if the current fundamental issues of Intel graphics in video playback area are fixed or not. (Not everybody considers the issues as issues, of course.)

Why in the world would they make the graphics better on the mobile SKU over the desktop SKU?

Also, do you have these values for AMD and various GPU's?

post #17 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:

Quote:

12 in SNB
16 in IVB
20 in desktop Haswell

Why in the world would they make the graphics better on the mobile SKU over the desktop SKU?

Because you can't add a video card which is more logical than upgrading a CPU integrated video performance for those who need it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #18 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, that's one way to look at it I guess. Personally I have had these issues as well. I don't think it has much to do with "complexity" (or lack thereof). I think it has to do with amd catering to the gaming market and rushing new drivers out to eek out that tiny little bit of 0.001% gaming performance improvement over their last buggy driver.

I expect more from my manufacturer. Things like coming out of sleep, holding your wmc resolution and not letting it change on its own, sending an actual video feed through the hdmi cable, etc are extremely fundamental to me and should "just work". I don't really care about the other "complexities" if they can't nail the fundamentals each and every time.

But that's just my opinion not as a system builder but as an htpc end user having struggled and been driven almost mad by these issues personally in the past.

These issues are one of the reasons I am seeking to leave AMD and move to Intel. I am just tired of fighting with them. BTW, does Intel have the ability to turn off the audio "exclusive control" part? I turn that off on my AMD sound because my wife hates it that it takes a moment for sound to return and she has to rewind to hear what she missed.
post #19 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Things like coming out of sleep, holding your wmc resolution and not letting it change on its own

I had this problem too with my HD5670 and then my A8-3820. There's a very simple fix for this which is when it happens (it goes to 1024x768), go into the WMC setup and change the resolution to match the desktop resolution (720p, 1080p, whatever) and finish the wizard. Once I did that, I've never had a problem since.

For such a simple solution, it took me forever to find the answer via Google but that did it.

post #20 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There is no official statement on this.

Comparing the number of execution units (or Radeon cores or CUDA cores) makes a sense only within the same or similar architectures.

-

-
post #21 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Can one obtain the mobile CPU for a desktop build?
It would be beneficial to have the ability to compare across platforms too.

post #22 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Can one obtain the mobile CPU for a desktop build?
It would be beneficial to have the ability to compare across platforms too.

Probably not for use with a desktop board.

I'm sure there will be mini-barebone kits that will use the laptop package, but at a premium cost.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #23 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mobile Intel CPU is either soldered to the mb (BGA, ball grid array) or uses a socket (rPGA, reduced pin grid array) different from the socket for desktop (LGA, land grid array). There are rPGA mb for Ivy Bridge, but only for OEMs. Core i3-3217U in Intel NUC is a mobile CPU with BGA (so soldered). Mobile Haswell version of NUC will be available late this year.

-

-
post #24 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Pricey when bought from retail: http://www.e-itx.com/mi-hm77t-i3.html but it has Intel 4000 HD GPU, i3-3217U processor and DC-DC power supply on-board. I actually have one for evaluation right now and it's pretty nice. The big advantage over a i3-3225/desktop mini-ITX is the size of the case I can put it in. There are other advantages too like power consumption but the big one is the tiny little mini-ITX case it can go in.

post #25 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The mac mini has always used laptop cpus, too. smile.gif

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #26 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

These issues are one of the reasons I am seeking to leave AMD and move to Intel. I am just tired of fighting with them. BTW, does Intel have the ability to turn off the audio "exclusive control" part? I turn that off on my AMD sound because my wife hates it that it takes a moment for sound to return and she has to rewind to hear what she missed.

Its strange that I never have any issues with my llano HTPC
post #27 of 251 Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

It often depends on each system and environment (AVR, display etc.) if a specific problem occurs or not. Personally I haven't seen such a problem at all (Llano, Trinity, Intel+AMD discrete cards + ONKYO receiver + Panasonic plasma).

-

-
post #28 of 251 Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It is funny how we all get affected differently. I have run AMD GPU's in my HTPC pretty much for the last 5 years. I have had almost zero issues with with drivers. Current is an HIS 5670, that has been in the HTPC for 2 years, and I have no idea what driver version it is. It works, and works well, so I leave it alone.
I tried an Nvidia GT440 a couple of years ago. It worked fine, until I recieved the dreaded (black screen of death, but sound worked fine). There was a glitch in Nvidia drivers that took them awhile to get fixed. I put the 5670 back in, and left it there. I put the GT440 in the GF's computer, where it still works just fine for general usage.
The HTPC is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I will be upgrading it soon. It is an old Asus P5E-VM HDMI, with an E6300 Wolfsdale.It runs everything with no stutters or issues, but you can tell is getting close to retirement due to occasional glitches.
I am still on the fence between and AMD FM2 board/cpu, or an Ivy I3. I am sure either will work fine, just will depend on whichever one has the best value when I buy. wink.gif
post #29 of 251 Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Your setup sounds a lot like mine, jdcrox, since I have an Asus P5Q-E and an E7200 with a Radeon 6750. It is the slowly increasing number of glitches that have me looking to upgrade. The change of screen resolution in WMC is happening more often too.
post #30 of 251 Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like there will be 3 desktop cpu/motherboard combos that will have the GT3/5200 graphics:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-BGA-LGA-Socket,21917.html

Anybody have any other info on those?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Intel , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor
Gear in this thread - G2020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page