AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

My receiver says Dolby Pro Logic IIx on it

Precisely speaking, Dolby Pro Logic IIx works only with stereo and 5.1 incoming audio streams. In your case it is limited to DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD (except for 7.1) bitstreaming. Play stereo music (MP3, WAV, FLAC etc.) or a movie with a AAC/FLAC/LPCM audio track and you will find that Dolby Pro Logic IIx does not work (hence silent surround / rear speakers unless the source is already 7.1) because the incoming audio stream is always 7.1 (changed by Windows Audio Engine).

The main "problems" in sending LPCM in WASAPI shared mode are:

1. Channel count is changed.
2. Audio is resampled (maybe less important)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The reason I have it set up this way is to have the full multi-PCM tracks come across when playing back the (limited number of) Blu-ray rips that I have that are in LPCM (Kill Bill and early Harry Potter releases).

Last night I looked while watching the Dodger game. I believe the source was DD 5.1 (LiveTV) but my receiver said the input was PCM DIGI 7.1, MATRIX was active (Not DD PL IIx) and the output was 7.1 as well. The rear and side speakers where both active in this case.

So this begs the question as to what is the best why to set it up so that the PCM mkv's I have playback full audio while still utilizing the PL IIx on my AVR? WASAPI exclusive mode? Or is there one?

post #93 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hmm, the audio format in HDTV in US is DD. Your system is decoding it. To bitstream DD from live / recorded TV, you have to configure both system and WMC sound in a strange way.

So Denon's "MATRIX" can (up)mix 7.1 to 7.1?

Every standalone BD player sends audio over HDMI to AVR as it is in the original. If you want to do the same thing in Windows PC, WASAPI exclusive mode is the only choice. In WASAPI shared mode (the normal mode), Windows Audio Engine converts all incoming audio streams in a single format (in terms of sample rate, bit depth and channel count, which you can specify in Windows sound control) and mixes them in a single stream (audio from the media player, system sounds, etc. all mixed in one stream). That's a great feature for a generic, daily-use PC with cheap computer speakers. But when it comes to enthusiast home theater PCs, this is one of the worst features of Windows, IMO.
post #94 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

How does one access the configuration of WASAPI?

post #95 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the relevant pages of the manual for my Denon 2312ci (and how'd you know I had a Denon?):

post #96 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

How does one access the configuration of WASAPI?

A good question. smile.gif It is the audio renderer that chooses between WASAPI shared and exclusive modes (ReClock [that works with any DirectShow player], JRiver MC, XBMC, MediaPortal etc. ) or just always select WASAPI exclusive mode (the default DirectSound audio renderer). I explained here how to configure ReClock for WASAPI exclusive mode.
post #97 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here's the relevant pages of the manual for my Denon 2312ci (and how'd you know I had a Denon?)]

Thanks, I already downloaded and read Denon AVR-2312CI manual. It's Denon's original and "This mode lets you add a spacious feel to stereo music sources". It looks like it can work with "7.1 stereo" source?

You signature states that Denon AVR-2312CI is your AVR.
post #98 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Quote:

Here's the relevant pages of the manual for my Denon 2312ci (and how'd you know I had a Denon?)]

Thanks, I already downloaded and read Denon AVR-2312CI manual. It's Denon's original and "This mode lets you add a spacious feel to stereo music sources". It looks like it can work with "7.1 stereo" source?

You signature states that Denon AVR-2312CI is your AVR.

DOH!

So how to configure WASAPI for MediaFoundation players such as WMC for TV playback?

Will Reclock do this too?

post #99 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you use MPC-HC, then use ReClock. Many front ends have its own implementation of WASAPI exclusive mode (except for WMC).
post #100 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay. I still haven't had the time to re-do my set up for Win7x64 from the current Win7x86 it is now but Reclock is on the list for that.

I should just give it a whirl right now rather than waiting to do the update to x64!

post #101 of 105 Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

If you use MPC-HC, then use ReClock. Many front ends have its own implementation of WASAPI exclusive mode (except for WMC).

So I followed your instructions and reinstalled just the bare essentials (MPC-HC and LAV codec). Things have definitely improved. Through Media Center, my tv tuner now plays sound through all my speakers and the PCM is changable to something else, such as PL IIx. Now.. there is still a slight problem... which I can live with.. but I'd love to have fixed... When playing different movie files... seems anything in mp4 format (or perhaps it's anything with aac audio) with 6 channel audio is still stuck on PCM and plays out of all except my back left and back right speakers. The back surround speakers do output sound... just not the back left and right. When I look at the LAV audio settings while playing the file in MPC-HC, it shows PCM instead of bitstreaming or whatever. I did setup ReClock to WASAPI exclusive, and I'm assuming that's what fixed windows media center... however it doesn't seem to be doing anything for these movie files... and I don't see any icon appearing in the taskbar. Unfortunately... most of my movies are in mp4 format, since I used to stream to my PS3, so used to convert movies to mp4 since mkv was invalid with ps3... any advice on fixing this issue? I'm assuming i've done everything else correctly? followed your directions to the dot for both codec and reclock installation.
post #102 of 105 Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can't bitstream AAC. It has to be decoded to LPCM first, then sent over HDMI to AVR.

There are two reasons why you can't load ReClock to play back MP4 in WMC.

1. WMC is a 64-bit player, while ReClock is a 32-bit filer that works only with a 32-bit player. (I assume you use Windows 64-bit.)
2. WMC uses Media Foundation instead of DirectShow to play back MP4 so that it does not work with a DirectShow filter such as ReClock.

In case you use Windows 32-bit, you can disable Media Foundation for MP4 and force WMC to use DirectShow (hence use ReClock for WASAPI exclusive mode) to play back MP4. If you use Windows 64-bit, then the only solution is launch an external 32-bit DirectShow player such as MPC-HC.
post #103 of 105 Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can't bitstream AAC. It has to be decoded to LPCM first, then sent over HDMI to AVR.

There are two reasons why you can't load ReClock to play back MP4 in WMC.

1. WMC is a 64-bit player, while ReClock is a 32-bit filer that works only with a 32-bit player. (I assume you use Windows 64-bit.)
2. WMC uses Media Foundation instead of DirectShow to play back MP4 so that it does not work with a DirectShow filter such as ReClock.

In case you use Windows 32-bit, you can disable Media Foundation for MP4 and force WMC to use DirectShow (hence use ReClock for WASAPI exclusive mode) to play back MP4. If you use Windows 64-bit, then the only solution is launch an external 32-bit DirectShow player such as MPC-HC.

Loading ReClock was an issue with MPC-HC. It's when I play movies through MPC-HC that my receiver stays on PCM. However, I do have a problem now. Whenever my computer is turned on (either a fresh boot or woken up from sleep), if I try watching tv (through media center) or try watching one of my recorded shows, sound completely stops working and I get an error from media center saying restart the computer. The only way to get sound to work is if I go into sound settings and change it from 7.1 surround to 5.1 surround. Once I change it, I have to first play a movie through VLC or MPC-HC. When I do that, the sound returns. Then I can go back to the sound settings and change it back to 7.1 surround. After this, watching tv or recorded shows works fine on 7.1.... Until the next time I boot the computer. Ideas?
post #104 of 105 Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM

I have almost the same problem as you. Pioneer VSX 1021-K and a new Geforce 660. I have a 5.1 setup, not 7.1, but the VSX 1021-K is using those last two channels for a B zone.

When windows has the VSX-1021 configured as 5.1, I only get PCM on the receiver. And unfortunately getting PCM disables any of the upconversions like neo and neural. I noticed this watching Hulu, in that I only had stereo sound and can't choose anything but PCM.

If I lie and configure the playback device as stereo, then I can set any filter I want.

Rather than change windows settings every time, I rely on the Signal Sel button on the VSX 1021 K remote. I use an optical out from the mobo. When I play something that I know is multichannel, I set windows to use HDMI audio, and PCM performs fine. When I play something that is stereo that I want to upconvert, I set windows to use the digital output (the optical cable). I can tell the receiver what cable to look for audio on because the HDMI input is one of the ones that lets you specify analog and digital inputs as alternates.

Pain in the ASS!

Couldn't get Reclock to work as I guess it's for certain applications. I was just watching hulu in a webbrowser. I have no clue how to tell windows to stop outputting 5 channel audio (2 with sound 3 with silence) on my command.
post #105 of 105 Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to keep my computer constantly set at stereo sound... letting the receiver upconvert everything. Got tired of messing with the settings and getting terrible results.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page