GeForce GTX 660 7.1 Audio Sending PCM only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer VSX-1021, which supports 7.1 audio. I just purchased a GeForce GTX 660 for my htpc, thinking I could just use an HDMI to send both audio and video from my htpc to my receiver.

Under the sound settings, I have 7.1 audio selected on my computer. However, everything that plays on my receiver says PCM. The receiver shows all 7.1 speakers lit up, meaning it's recognizing a 7.1 audio, but it only plays sound out of my front speakers, due to PCM. If I play my Xbox 360, then the PCM goes away and I can hear sound through all my speakers.

How do I get rid of the PCM that my video card is outputting so that I can get proper dts hd sound through all my speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Do you have the latest motherboard drivers installed?

It also seems that the GPU is decoding the audi rather than passing it through. What codecs are you using? The codec needs to be set for passthrough for 7.1 (or more likely 5.1) aduio.

post #3 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Would motherboard drivers really help, since it's sending the audio out of the video card rather than the motherboard sound?

The only codecs I have installed are the codecs that VLC player installs. How would I go about setting the codecs for passthrough?
post #4 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

VLC does not play HD Audio.

You need LAV and MPC-HC or MediaCenter. I prefer MPC-HC. The shark007 codec pack is the best way to do this. You may be best served by using assassin's guide.

post #5 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM

Use Home media player classic and the latest Lav filters,and under options external filters, and them under preferred. I would not use shark's codecs, unless you want all kinds of spy ware and other programs you don't want installed.
post #6 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no spyware or any other programs installed. It is the simplest way to install codecs. It is Media Player Classic - Home Cinema by the way.

post #7 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... nothing's working.. I got the shark007 since it was the easiest thing.. and I have it set to pass-through... still sending PCM. And I can't use home media player classic since I have a tv tuner... I use Media Center in order to watch tv and all my other media.
post #8 of 105 Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM

Ok do this, are you using MKV's? if you are using windows media center, go here:http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/playing-mkvs-in-media-center.html
go to the bottom of the page, install the x32 and x64 reg files as admin. As for your TV tuner, windows should automatically install the updates, or check for updates. Install the lav codecs only, this will work, Sharks codecs are also know to break any TV tuner audio drivers. I would delete the Sharks codecs completely.
post #9 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orl2222 View Post

Ok do this, are you using MKV's? if you are using windows media center, go here:http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/playing-mkvs-in-media-center.html
go to the bottom of the page, install the x32 and x64 reg files as admin. As for your TV tuner, windows should automatically install the updates, or check for updates. Install the lav codecs only, this will work, Sharks codecs are also know to break any TV tuner audio drivers. I would delete the Sharks codecs completely.

The current release (and those for almost a year now) does no such thing if you know what you are doing.

I use Media Browser in WMC for mkv playback by launching MPC-HC as the player with LAV as the filters. I also use WMC for it's PVR functionality. I use these every single day and have done so since for a year now. If you broke LiveTV with Shark007 it was either some time ago or you don't know how to set it up.

This guide shows how to set it up. It is based on a version from a few months ago but there is very little change since then other than providing the most current codecs and some revisions to the settings screens to make them more user friendly.

To get dts-HD/MA you will need to get ArcSoft's TMT dts decoder too.

post #10 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Nope... nothing worked... I tried both of your suggestions (orl2222's and Sammy2's). Followed all guides to the dot... even got the arcsoft decoder... still only getting PCM audio to the receiver. Anything else I can try?
post #11 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

This seems to most likely be a driver issue that you are having.

post #12 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well.. If I change my audio configuration to 5.1, then I hear sound from all my speakers when I watch movies. I can also then switch off of PCM on my receiver. However, if I set the configuration to 7.1, then my receiver stays on PCM and I only hear audio out of the front speakers...

Also, when set to 5.1, I only hear sound out of the front speakers when watching tv through media center. I'm fine with keeping my audio config on 5.1 if I can get my tv to play out of all speakers as well. Any ideas?

My video card drivers are up to date... bios is also up to date. I still have the latest shark007 installed.
post #13 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Typically the video card utilizes the MoBo's audio drivers. The Sound Settings in the Control Panel takes you to the MoBo's driver for the audio settings were you need to enable bitstreaming.

post #14 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If this is intel, have you installed the Intel-ligent Management and the latest audio drivers?

post #15 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Control Panel- Sound-

Make sure your HDMI device is selected and is set as default. Go into properties and select the tab that says supported formats. Make sure it lists all HD audio formats, should looks similar to this.

Play a movie in MPC-HC, go to Play- Filters. You should only see one audio decoder and that should be LAV audio Decoder.

If you select LAV audio decoder, make sure all HD audio formats is selected to bitstream.

post #16 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Control Panel- Sound-

Make sure your HDMI device is selected and is set as default. Go into properties and select the tab that says supported formats. Make sure it lists all HD audio formats, should looks similar to this.

Good tip. I don't think the HD Audio formats show up there until you download the latest HD Audio drivers.

post #17 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Make sure your Nvidia audio drivers are installed. They should have installed along with your video drivers for the GTX660. It really should just WORK. Hopefully Shark will be along in a few to give his advice.
post #18 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Checked all drivers, including mobo drivers... the only way I can get sound through all my speakers is if I set the sound config to Stereo instead of 7.1 Surround. And with stereo... my receiver shows only two speakers... so i'm assuming the receiver just distributes the sounds to all speakers and that it isn't true 7.1?

As for LAV decoder settings, all HD boxes are checked. Exact same as the image Mrkazador posted. Also, the HD audio formats listed under properties show the same as yours, except for sample rates, I only see 44.1, 48.0, 96.0 and 192. Max number of channels does say 8.
post #19 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

If this is intel, have you installed the Intel-ligent Management and the latest audio drivers?

I have an Intel cpu, yes, though I don't know what intel-ligent management is? all drivers are updated.
post #20 of 105 Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujpuri85 View Post

As for LAV decoder settings, all HD boxes are checked. Exact same as the image Mrkazador posted. Also, the HD audio formats listed under properties show the same as yours, except for sample rates, I only see 44.1, 48.0, 96.0 and 192. Max number of channels does say 8.

It seems you have everything set up right. Are you using MPC-HC for your media player? If so, can you post a screen shot of your filter list like the one I posted above? If you don't want to post a screen shot then you can just list what it shows.

post #21 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned here.. Have you checked Control Panel > Sound to see if your AVR is set as the default device? Sometimes this is not and the speaker connections on the back of the MoBo are set as default. Windows seems to be stupid in this regard. When I recently updated my nVidia drivers this was set back to "Speakers" instead of the AVR and I had to back through and re-configure everything again.

post #22 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have an Intel cpu, yes, though I don't know what intel-ligent management is? all drivers are updated.

What is your MoBo? This download is available for me at gigabyte's website and is called "Intel Management Engine Interface".

You should also verify that you grabbed the latest audio driver from you MoBo manufacturer's website.

post #23 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Control Panel- Sound-

Quote:

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned here.. Have you checked Control Panel > Sound to see if your AVR is set as the default device?

I did mention that in my post, not sure if he checked.

post #24 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Control Panel- Sound-

Quote:

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned here.. Have you checked Control Panel > Sound to see if your AVR is set as the default device?

I did mention that in my post, not sure if he checked.

Okay.. I read right through that. Sorry.

To get all the formats to show the HD Audio drivers for the motherboard audio need to be installed. I've been saying to install all the MoBo drivers since the start of this thread.

post #25 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mrkazador, I am not using MPC-HC. I'm actually using Windows Media Center, since my computer has a tv card/tuner, I use media center as my tv source.

Sammy2, my receiver is setup as default. As for my mobo, it's an old one now... Asus P5Q-E. I do have all latest drivers/bios installed for it. Could it be that my mobo is just too old for my video card and 7.1 sound? but if that's the case, why is 7.1 showing up in the audio settings?
post #26 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the problem is Windows Media Center, it will use whatever codecs seems best for the job. Even though you setup LAV correctly, it may use a different audio decoder. You can download MPC-HC just to test if you can bitstream HD audio.

post #27 of 105 Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

Mrkazador, I am not using MPC-HC. I'm actually using Windows Media Center, since my computer has a tv card/tuner, I use media center as my tv source.

Sammy2, my receiver is setup as default. As for my mobo, it's an old one now... Asus P5Q-E. I do have all latest drivers/bios installed for it. Could it be that my mobo is just too old for my video card and 7.1 sound? but if that's the case, why is 7.1 showing up in the audio settings?

Check "Enable System Tray Icon" in LAV Audio Decoder properties and see if LAV Audio Decoder is actually used in playback by looking at the system tray. If ffdshow Audio Decoder x64 is used, lower its merit value, say, to "preferred" (then it will be lower than that of LAV Audio Decoder). How: Launch ffdshow Audio Decoder configuration as an admistrator (this is important), go to DirectShow control tab, then move the merit value slider to the left (default value is "very high"). Compare merit values:

LAV Audio Filter:
0x00800003 (default)

ffdshow Audio Decoder:
"very high" = 0xFFFFFF00 (default)
"default" = 0xFF800001
"preferred" = 0x00800000
"normal" = 0x00600000

Well, ffdshow Audio Decoder x64 can also bitstream HD audio, but you have to configure it a little bit more:

If you select Connect to: any filter, then WMC/WMP's audio filters will be appended to ffdshow Audio Decoder (like below), that prevents audio bitstreaming:

(LAV Audio Decoder does not suffer from this "problem".)

But, why not use MPC-HC? It can be launched for media play as an external player withing Media Browser / My Movies / the built-in Movie Library (with a plugin), independent of TV.
post #28 of 105 Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry.. been at work most of the day today and didn't get a chance to try this. I'll definitely give MPC-HC a shot tomorrow and will check whether LAV runs or not as well and will post back results. Thanks!
post #29 of 105 Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I installed MPC-HC and when I play a movie, LAV is not an option as a decoder nor does he icon appear in the taskbar. I tried looking for the ffdshow decoder config.. but couldn't find it. I installed all my codecs using the shark007 package. Under the help tab in shark, i did see the List-Enable/Disable Codecs button, which, when clicking on, showed me the merits for all the codecs. LAV is set to 0x00800003 while ffdshow is set to 0x00601000.

Any ideas?
post #30 of 105 Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I installed MPC-HC and when I play a movie, LAV is not an option as a decoder ...

Any ideas?

The player is the problem.
Uninstall your current version of MPC-HC and get it from the developer HERE. (exe file = installer) This version needs no setup what-so-ever. It will use whatever settings you have set in my Settings Application including bitstreamed audio if that was your choice on the Audio TAB of my app. If you have selected to use the [x] SUGGESTED settings, this version of the player will use LAV for everything.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page