post #31 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Netflix on a PC is two channel stereo sound end of story.

Doesn't the Windows 8 Netflix app do 5.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 192
yea good clarification - netflix thru a PC browser (which the WMC add in is) is stereo

the W8 app allows for some higher quality video too I believe.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #33 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Liked: 15
Not with the netflix app in Windows 8. The netflix app supports 5.1 audio.
post #34 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Netflix on a PC is two channel stereo sound end of story.
Yes I apologize. I had to test again after I read this stern reply. I turned off the 'speaker fill' (which was throwing me off) and ran some different titles in my instant queue. All ran just 2-channel stereo.
post #35 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

i wasnt trying to be a jerk, i was just underscoring the fact that Netflix hasn't bothered to create/make available 5.1 audio tracks for the 97%+ of all computer users running XP, Vista, or W7 and using the most common method of watching in a browser.

they're arguably the largest distributor of premium web based video and they dont see offering it to be benefit to the user.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #36 of 48 Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:

i wasnt trying to be a jerk, i was just underscoring the fact that Netflix hasn't bothered to create/make available 5.1 audio tracks for the 97%+ of all computer users running XP, Vista, or W7 and using the most common method of watching in a browser.

they're arguably the largest distributor of premium web based video and they dont see offering it to be benefit to the user.

I notice that is also an item under 7mc. But I was afraid of using it. Does this also use Silverlight, or is this another possibility for us on stuck on Win7? I'm afraid of trying it because when you click the function inside 7mc, you need to click a checkbox, and agree to the terms which says "That an unlimited membership is required". I'm wondering if it will try and alter my netflix account.

Because I'm currently on a 'limited streaming' plan.

It would seem in this day and age, that if there is an app for Windows8 that allows this better sound. That someone out there, would create a contraband app for Windows that would also work. Do I really need to upgrade to 8 for this? hehe Any other options. According to my current Netflix plan. It also says: 'streaming devices cannot be used with this plan' - So one way or another, they someone is going to want more money... aren't they?
post #37 of 48 Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

Sorry we are digressing away from your original topic. But about the mixing: I don't think it is designed for a super theater room like mine. ...'Complain to fox...' ... If I sent an email, would it even be read?... ...

I think we agree it's the sound mix that's the issue. Considering how Fox mixes other shows fine for my 6.1 system, which can handle 5.1 with no issues. I agree that most people have sound bars or the like. And a few I know who do have the proper equipment for 5.1+ don't even have it setup right. Needless to say. Heck, they may only do parts of American Idol in 5.1, and others in 2.0.

As for complaining to Fox. I can't tell if you they'll read it or not. But it might. If it's read, it'll show them you're not happy, and might stop watching the show and watch a competitor. The people who take the time to complain, care enough to still want to use the product. Most others, stop using it and move on. It was just a suggestion because doing nothing will result in no change. Doing something, might bring a change.

The other suggestion you may want to do, change the AVR for american Idol to stereo. I assume you an option for a five (or however many speakers you have) channel stereo. It'll just play the same thing to all the speakers. I know my AVRs have it.
post #38 of 48 Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:

I actually used my account number, called Netflix tech-support and tried to ask when if-ever they would support it. I was really upset, they did not. Because one of the reasons I setup my machine the way I did was for this purpose. Thankfully I do not use it that often.

The guy gave me the run-around and said 'it depends on your equipment and your bandwidth'. I said I have 'the equipment and plenty of bandwidth'.. then I said are you referring that I have to purchase a 'roku' or some other device. I think he was coy about that, not wanting to give away any information. I just wanted to know if ever they would support something in the future, but he was not budging. "will you never support it?" My point with him, was, if they can support some form of HD video, why not better than 64bps(?) Audio... He thought that there was no difference in the bandwidth required for multi-channel audio as required for HD video... I would think much more bandwidth would be required in HD video 720 or 1080 ... as opposed to some audio channels??? 'set me straight?'.... My feeling is as some said above, that they just don't care enough. Or have enough demand.

But to go along with LoveKeiily's conversation - I did try to complain to Netflix (not pertaining to what LoveKeiily and I were talking about). I doubt it worked, but I did try. This was much more on topic.
post #39 of 48 Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, at least you said something to the company. Although you have the option to switch to Vudu, that's only effective if you Netflix you're cancelling and why. On a side note, I don't see Vudu a full competitor to Netflix for various reasons--disc rentals, download vs stream. It's more a competitor stuff like iTunes, Zune, and some of Amazon.

From what you describe, you go a rep, that just doesn't know they product well, and there wasn't a script for what you were asking. At this point with Netflix, they're only doing more a basic support for Instant View. I think more of the HD content is available on the PC. If you want the 1080p video or DD5.1 audio, you need a setup box such as the Roku, PS3, AppleTV, and so forth. They have millions of users for STB, whereas the PC is in the thousands. Heck, if you're ISP participates, you can get their SuperHD, but can only access it through the PS3, Roku, and a few other STB.

For the PC, there is one exception, but not really. If you have WIndows 8, you can get the Netflix app through the app store. This Netflix is not used through a web browser and it accessed through Metro. I've read it may support 5.1DD.

It should be noted, I've been using Netflix since May 2000, started using Instant Watch since 2008 or 2009, when the PC was only option Pre-ordered the Roku box (was originally called Netflix Instant Watch player by Roku), Beta tested the 2nd generation Roku box. Needless to say, I've seen and experience various changes of the company. I started with them right after they offered unlimited time rentals on the discs.

And as someone who worked in customer service in a call center, I have an idea about customer service. And what you got, was not very good. I can tell you one thing, companies don't want to lose customers, especially if they can make the customer happy. It costs three times as much to get a new customer as it does to maintain one.
post #40 of 48 Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM

I edited my content that I read about Vudu... but what I said was in haste. I found later, that like Netflix, Vudu also does not stream to the PC high quality audio. See the eloquent article comparing 'ITunes vs Vudu vs Blu-ray'. on this site.
post #41 of 48 Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Liked: 18
Just a follow-up on my previous post.

I finally got around to renewing my mlb.tv subscription. The first game that I watched had what seemed to me to be stereo audio expanded to the surround speakers. Not exactly 5.1, but for a sporting event, it's a major improvement over the two channel stereo I had in previous seasons. Even the sub was working. I don't think you really lose much quality-wise anyway.

Problem is.. I don't understand why. I use FFDShow to do the decoding work for live TV and mp3's, but the icon was not present in the system tray (like it usually would be if it was busy decoding something). I did a flash update beforehand. Maybe that was it? Either that or MLB made a change.

Either way, I pronounce myself satisfied.
post #42 of 48 Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Ok guys see this: Take a peek at some of the funny comments below too. But I also read that it may not be enforced until 2021... I doubt it will take that long. http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/15/4228248/netflix-plans-its-move-from-microsoft-silverlight-to-html5-video
post #43 of 48 Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

Just a follow-up on my previous post.

I finally got around to renewing my mlb.tv subscription. The first game that I watched had what seemed to me to be stereo audio expanded to the surround speakers. Not exactly 5.1, but for a sporting event, it's a major improvement over the two channel stereo I had in previous seasons. Even the sub was working. I don't think you really lose much quality-wise anyway.

Problem is.. I don't understand why. I use FFDShow to do the decoding work for live TV and mp3's, but the icon was not present in the system tray (like it usually would be if it was busy decoding something). I did a flash update beforehand. Maybe that was it? Either that or MLB made a change.

Either way, I pronounce myself satisfied.

Sounds like your receiver is matrixing the sound and sending it to other speakers.

My HTPC front end set up
post #44 of 48 Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Sounds like your receiver is matrixing the sound and sending it to other speakers.
Yep... a victim of the 'speaker fill' setting (oh yes I use it too). It fools you into thinking your getting multi-channel. Its a blessing and a curse. Because it makes it harder to know what the source audio actually is. The blessing though, like ajkrishock said, is that it just sounds good.
post #45 of 48 Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Yep... a victim of the 'speaker fill' setting (oh yes I use it too). It fools you into thinking your getting multi-channel. Its a blessing and a curse. Because it makes it harder to know what the source audio actually is. The blessing though, like ajkrishock said, is that it just sounds good.

Speaker fill is not enabled. I do not use a receiver either.. my system is a Media Live Diva 5.1. I use an on-board 5.1/100 watt/channel amp card. The mystery deepens..
post #46 of 48 Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I actually used my account number, called Netflix tech-support and tried to ask when if-ever they would support it. I was really upset, they did not. Because one of the reasons I setup my machine the way I did was for this purpose. Thankfully I do not use it that often.

The guy gave me the run-around and said 'it depends on your equipment and your bandwidth'. I said I have 'the equipment and plenty of bandwidth'.. then I said are you referring that I have to purchase a 'roku' or some other device. I think he was coy about that, not wanting to give away any information. I just wanted to know if ever they would support something in the future, but he was not budging. "will you never support it?" My point with him, was, if they can support some form of HD video, why not better than 64bps(?) Audio... He thought that there was no difference in the bandwidth required for multi-channel audio as required for HD video... I would think much more bandwidth would be required in HD video 720 or 1080 ... as opposed to some audio channels??? 'set me straight?'.... My feeling is as some said above, that they just don't care enough. Or have enough demand.

But to go along with LoveKeiily's conversation - I did try to complain to Netflix (not pertaining to what LoveKeiily and I were talking about). I doubt it worked, but I did try. This was much more on topic.

I just got this from X-Finity "Now the download speed on your Performance Internet service is up to 66% faster with speeds up to 25 Mbps and we have more than doubled your upload speeds up to 5 Mbps." Xfinity is doubling the bandwidth. So the bandwidth is definitely not a problem. Notice the link earlier on Netflix stepping away from Silverlight, but they didn't tell me that on the phone...hehe
post #47 of 48 Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
afaik, the standards for web videos basically allow for stereo AAC or stereo vorbis audio only.
No lossless, 7.1, 24 bit, etc. like on a bluray.
post #48 of 48 Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 PM

it's amazing that in this day and age, we don't even have low fidelity support for surround sound streaming from a web browser. Fortunately Windows 8 has Netflix, Hulu Plus, and ESPN apps, but there are many others, including HBO Go, Amazon Instant, etc, that do not yet have dedicated apps, which require streaming it from the web. And without surround sound from a browser, it's pretty much unwatchable AFAIC. I have to use an Xbox or Apple TV to get the other content. Would be nice if an HTPC could actually be an all-in-one solution
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page