AM I crazy? Surround sound through browsers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been at this for months. I hear nice surround sound through My Win7 system with on-board 5.1 surround. I hear tv, downloaded 5.1 in surround played through media player or other 5.1 enabled players. I listen to surround files through IE, Firefox and Chrome, but they all come out stereo. I pipe my files through HDMI to my surround amplifier and it works fine. Not anything through browser, though. I looked into plug-ins, etc, but this seems like a basic function to play 5.1 through the browser. I have seen articles that say browsers don't support surround. Is this true?
Thanks
DOug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not sure which plugins you are interested in but Netflix will most likely never support 5.1 through Silverlight unless Microsoft adds support for it into Silverlight.

post #3 of 48 Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ikkuranus

I am trying to experience 5.1 surround directly from the browser , internet explorer, firefox etc. Videos are described as being 5.1 surround, test videos that check each speaker, etc., but I have not heard true 5.1 through any browser. I would think that 5.1 should play through the major browsers?
Please Help!

Doug
post #4 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

There must be someone to help answer this in the Home Theater PC forum? How do you'all listen to 5.1 through your browsers? Am I missing something?
Thanks
Doug
post #5 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't think you're missing anything. I just don't think it exists yet. I watch a lot of online services through a web browser--mainly Chrome-- such as NFL, NBA, NHL, and so forth. All them, stereo only. I think to get 5.1, they would need to use Dolby Digital, which I don't think any of them want to pay the royalties to use the tech.

Plex, which allows one to play locally stored media through a web browser doesn't support 5.1 audio yet.

Heck, the only online service I know that supports it, other than some audio radio, is Netflix and it's only DD. I know a lot of sports feeds have it 5.1 audio because the only service is just a reboardcast of the what one gets on TV through their TV provider, which more often than not is 5.1DD.
post #6 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, lovekelly

There are tons of videos on youtube that say they are 5.1 surround. This is strange
Doug
post #7 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Youtube doesn't support 5.1 audio. People can name their videos whatever they want to get as many views as possible or they just don't know any better.

post #8 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mr. Kazador;
are there sites that support live 5.1 audio without downloading and playing through Media Player etc? I would think youtube should have this basic capability by now...
Doug
post #9 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Probably a cost reason. They would have to pay Dolby or DTS license fees when the market for this is almost no one.
post #10 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, All.

So if we eliminate Youtube as a source for 5.1 surround, can the browser natively support 5.1 surround? So if I posted a 5.1 file on my website, would it transmit that information?
Doug
post #11 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

Not sure which plugins you are interested in but Netflix will most likely never support 5.1 through Silverlight unless Microsoft adds support for it into Silverlight.

I have my RealTek set to 'speaker fill', and of course the system is pretty good at it. I may not notice that the source is just 2-channel. But I'm quite sure that I've gotten high-quality audio from Silverlight before. It's been a few years since 5.1 was promised from Netflix. It is now 2013. Are you sure it is still not available?

I'll test this at home, by streaming something, and turning off the 'speaker fill', when I get a chance. My wife and I watch movies on occasion through Netflix/silverlight. I know they just recently got the HD perfected in the last year. In my humble opinion... if they can send HD video: you would think they can send audio?!
post #12 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Robertkjr3d
I imagine that one can simulate 5.1 with speaker fill. However I am still baffled that youtube doesn't support 5.1. Many videos (even amateur) claim to be 5.1 but I have not seen one that actually was. It's downgraded to stereo. Based on posts, youtube won't carry the dts signal. Netflix etc. may or may not support, I don't know yet.
Doug
post #13 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeene View Post

Thanks Robertkjr3d
I imagine that one can simulate 5.1 with speaker fill. However I am still baffled that youtube doesn't support 5.1. Many videos (even amateur) claim to be 5.1 but I have not seen one that actually was. It's downgraded to stereo. Based on posts, youtube won't carry the dts signal. Netflix etc. may or may not support, I don't know yet.
Doug
Recall with Silverlight, your not running the video/audio directly through the browser, your running it through that 3rd party app (similiar to a Sun Java Applet, or Adobe). But with youtube, your probably correct.

About 'speaker fill' - You hardly notice that the audio is only 2-channel... say your playing through your Itunes catalougue... Of course all that music is 2-channel, but the speaker fill will make it sound like it is coming out of the rear channels and the center... just like a Receiver with a Dolby Surround processor.
post #14 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Robert

I guess i am crazy, but i have done some sound recording and I love the 5.1 distinct channels and especially watching modern TV with audience noises etc. is phenomenal. I hate plain old stereo, and I think, despite what audiophiles have said, that 5.1 is analagous to stereo as stereo is to mono. The more channels, the more realistic the sound.
Doug
post #15 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

However I am still baffled that youtube doesn't support 5.1.

Considering that Youtube is mostly watched on PCs, laptops, tablets, and phones I think the number connected to 5.1 audio systems is infinitesimal.

You would need an audio standard. Licensing Dolby or DTS would get very expensive quickly. Multichannel flac or aac would require software decoders to be set up. Just seems like a bit of a hassle.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #16 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would love to get surround through a browser. I subscribe to MLB.tv, and I've been hoping to get this for a long time. They say they broadcast the games in 5.1, but I only get stereo. I recently changed my default decoder in Windows 7 to ffdshow, and it can up mix stereo sources to 5.1, so that may be a workaround, but I really shouldn't have to do something like that. If it's broadcast in 5.1, we should receive it in 5.1. End of story.
post #17 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

I don't recall MLB saying the do 5.1 audio over the internet. They said they do HD video: FAQ. The service through TV content providers such as cable and satellite do, but that is a different platform. I've subscribed to it and other sports services online for three years plus since I only get limited basic cable. And my HTPC is setup for 5.1 audio, and not once, through a browser have it's sent a signal that is 5.1. My receiver has alogrithms that change the stereo feed to 6.1.

Although 5.1 is nice for sports, picture is more important.
post #18 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

I don't recall MLB saying the do 5.1 audio over the internet. They said they do HD video: FAQ. The service through TV content providers such as cable and satellite do, but that is a different platform. I've subscribed to it and other sports services online for three years plus since I only get limited basic cable. And my HTPC is setup for 5.1 audio, and not once, through a browser have it's sent a signal that is 5.1. My receiver has alogrithms that change the stereo feed to 6.1.

Although 5.1 is nice for sports, picture is more important.

I'm going by the individual broadcasts which are local. As an example, NESN always broadcasts the Red Sox games in Dolby Digital 5.1, but I never hear it in 5.1.. now I'm not sure if it's the browser stopping the signal down to stereo or something associated with flash player or it's something that MLB is doing, but in previous seasons, I've only gotten stereo. As I mentioned, I now have a way of using ffdshow to take an incoming stereo audio stream (like an mp3 or live TV) and convert it to 5.1. I have not yet tested this on web-based video, so it remains to be seen whether my workaround fixes this specific issue. I'll report back.

*edit*

I just played back a few Youtube videos (which use Flash) and they played back in 5.1, so that's encouraging. The real test will be when I renew MLB.tv.
post #19 of 48 Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

I'm going by the individual broadcasts which are local. As an example, NESN always broadcasts the Red Sox games in Dolby Digital 5.1, but I never hear it in 5.1. ...

Doesn't matter if it is a local broadcast or not. MLB, or any other sports service you access through the internet hasn't broadcast in 5.1 through the online feeds. The broadcasts that are from satellite, cable, or OTA feeds, they will have it.

Why this is case I'm not exactly sure. It is a technology issue? Don't know. I assume because I assume Flash Player can be program to handle. And MLB uses their own player, which they could add. Obviously, part of it is bandwidth requirements would need to more for the extra data. I assume it's probably more licensing issue for using Dolby Digital or DTS technology, which is what everyone's AVR are program to use. I don't think creating a new format will work. I'm assuming the licensing fee may be based on distribution channel, in this case, rather than content. It's possible that number subscribers for the fee online is too high for what is charged for the service. The TV service can probably charge a high enough fee and still remain profitable since it's sold to TV stations, who then charge to their customer base.

I would say try and see if you get 5.1DD with Netflix through the web browser, but I'm guessing it's not offered through the PC platform. They have it for most of the set top boxes such as the PS3.

It's also possible that the customer base who get the online services, just aren't asking for it. As I mentioned earlier, it's possible that the experience of stereo versus 5.1 is minimal. In my experience, the surround channels are used for crowd noise. So I think most sports are more concerned about video so they can see action is as much detail as possible. It it was important, then why don't these services offer HD audio for the radio broadcasts? I don't own one, but I don't even know if they have HD audio for OTA radio broadcasts for those with HD radios.

If it was a movie, then it's a different story because audio does play a key role in telling the story and the experience you will have.

On a side note, most local broadcasts are not shown through the sports services because the of the local and national TV contracts. MLB is very vigilant about ensuring blackout rules are followed. Doesn't mean it's not possible circumvent, so I would really question the statement you made. You need to check the TV feed and online fee at the same time to compare the broadcast to ensure one is 5.1 or not; it's possible both could be stereo.
post #20 of 48 Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

I am kind of surprised. Being that this is a Home Theater Forum, and I got this kick-ass surround computer, to hear that people are not too interested in surround sound. I don't think it's a fad or crazy thing, I have grown to love it. I'm not sure surround would add much to a baseball game but the possibilities of music with each instrument being more separated in space... that's why we have surround. I love hearing different sounds from different parts of the room. Crowd noise does seem to add realism, too.

I guess you have to find 5.1 content then download it (however long that takes), because if it's not streamed in real time, you don't have to worry about bandwidth. So the solution is to have a netflix or tivo like service that you can DOWNLOAD your favorite blue ray with dts lossless whatever, and as our download speeds get faster, it won't matter as much....

Come on people, GO SURROUND!
Doug
post #21 of 48 Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it is that people aren't interested in it, I just don't think enough people are set up to take advantage of surround web audio. The ones I can think of are:
-pc gamers with 5.1 computer speaker setups
-htpc users with 5.1+ receiver setups
-ce device users such as PS3, Roku, Apple TV accessing services like itunes, Netflix, and Vudu. These typically have their own HTML5 based video implementations and are the most likely to be plugged into receivers

what are the major sources of content locked to a web browser (ie not downloadable/streamable to a media player as MP4/MPG/WMV)?
-pandora/spotify/iheartradio
-youtube
-netflix/pandora/amazon prime
-HBO Go
-adult video
-NHL Game Center, MLB.tv, etc

I don't think the adult stuff and the youtube cat videos would benefit from three extra channels. If I'm broadcasting a high speed hockey game I want the highest video bitrate and frame rate possible. If there is only 3,000kbps I don't think allocating 20% of the bandwidth to audio is prudent. I know most Pittsburgh Penguins broadcasts are only 2.0 when not on NBC.

The premium video providers (Netflix, Vudu, maybe HBO Go?) do not allow their best quality audio and video onto a PC, most likely because they are terrified of pirates hacking the signal for a high bitrate HD video/surround sound audio stream. And since most PC users are now laptop users, allocating development dollars and licensing to it seems like a hard sell.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #22 of 48 Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Like above, I don't think that people aren't interested in it. I just don't think they care enough demand it. And those that would, probably go other sources because they wan't the best video possible, which streaming cannot provide when there is OTA, cable/satellite, or blu reay.

As a sports fan, who watches way too much sports, I'm more concerned about video over audio. I get all giddy when the online services offer high resolutions or increased bitrates for video. It would be nice to have 5.1 audio, but it's not a must have. When I watch sporting events with 5.1 audio on cable or OTA, it doesn't really add much to experience. Usually just a more ambient crowd noise or stadium announcer. It doesn't add to the story narrative. In fact, if you use the online services where you can pick your bitrate, the first thing lowered is the audio quality from the top choice the next down.

I also agree about who and how people are consuming the various content. Most people just don't hook up desktop or laptop to their home theaters anymore. It's being replaced for various set top boxes. On the content delivery to those boxes is not through a browser.

I figure at some point there will be a delivery of 5.1 audio through a web browser. But right now, i think the distributors online are focusing their attention and efforts that is more eye catch worthy.
post #23 of 48 Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I am kind of surprised. Being that this is a Home Theater Forum, and I got this kick-ass surround computer, to hear that people are not too interested in surround sound. I don't think it's a fad or crazy thing, I have grown to love it. I'm not sure surround would add much to a baseball game but the possibilities of music with each instrument being more separated in space... that's why we have surround. I love hearing different sounds from different parts of the room. Crowd noise does seem to add realism, too.

I guess you have to find 5.1 content then download it (however long that takes), because if it's not streamed in real time, you don't have to worry about bandwidth. So the solution is to have a netflix or tivo like service that you can DOWNLOAD your favorite blue ray with dts lossless whatever, and as our download speeds get faster, it won't matter as much....

Come on people, GO SURROUND!
Doug

I love it... come on people 'Go Surround'! LOL. The issue today is... interest and demographic. Fewer and fewer people like us, still care about this stuff. .. and the young people with ear buds stuck in their ears (killing their ears). You can hear it better than they can as you walk by them. They do not get the same chills or goose bumps down the spine that I do (or hopefully I speak for many on this forum) when the airplane flies from the front to the back speaker channels. It means very little to them. You might be going whoa!!! turn it up, but your kid is going... yeah so what.

My wife as an example wouldn't care if all the sound was coming out of just one mono speaker. Another example: I can hear, if one of my speaker channels has the slightest problem, or issue, my wife wouldn't notice even one was unplugged. However I believe she also represents a wider demographic of people than ourselves though. A demographic that no longer cares about that big sound (or willing to pay for it). That was a generation past. When you went to see 80s movies with huge soundtracks with John Williams, James Horner, and John Barry.
post #24 of 48 Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Like above, I don't think that people aren't interested in it. I just don't think they care enough demand it. And those that would, probably go other sources because they wan't the best video possible, which streaming cannot provide when there is OTA, cable/satellite, or blu reay.

As a sports fan, who watches way too much sports, I'm more concerned about video over audio. I get all giddy when the online services offer high resolutions or increased bitrates for video. It would be nice to have 5.1 audio, but it's not a must have. When I watch sporting events with 5.1 audio on cable or OTA, it doesn't really add much to experience. Usually just a more ambient crowd noise or stadium announcer. It doesn't add to the story narrative. In fact, if you use the online services where you can pick your bitrate, the first thing lowered is the audio quality from the top choice the next down.

I also agree about who and how people are consuming the various content. Most people just don't hook up desktop or laptop to their home theaters anymore. It's being replaced for various set top boxes. On the content delivery to those boxes is not through a browser.

I figure at some point there will be a delivery of 5.1 audio through a web browser. But right now, i think the distributors online are focusing their attention and efforts that is more eye catch worthy.

I'm not a big 'game' watcher... But you can all laugh at me for this. When you mentioned what you did about the crowd noises, I thought of this: I watch American Idol. However after upgrading my system to 5.1 for TV. I have not been impressed on how they mix that show for 5.1. It is true the only sounds that put in the rear channels is .... The crowd noises and clapping. It is really annoying how they mix the singing portion. They turn off the center channel, and have it on strictly on the 2 front-main channels while they are performing. The clapping can be so loud it can hurt my ears, and I have to turn down the rear-channels just for that show. The sound was much better back when I was using a Dolby Surround-Sound processor. Not-So when watching movies.... or even the commercials during American Idol that are mixed much better. --- or Blu-rays... or DVDs.
post #25 of 48 Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

I would think that 5.1 should play through the major browsers?
Quote:

There must be someone to help answer this in the Home Theater PC forum? How do you all listen to 5.1 through your browsers? Am I missing something?
Quote:

There are tons of videos on youtube that say they are 5.1 surround.
Quote:

I would think youtube should have this basic capability by now...
Quote:

However I am still baffled that youtube doesn't support 5.1
Quote:

I am kind of surprised. Being that this is a Home Theater Forum, and I got this kick-ass surround computer, to hear that people are not too interested in surround sound

While it's nice that you are polite through the entire thread, repeating the surprise and discussion doesn't change facts

The basics of audio are simple. Get it from a quality source

Browser based video is not currently a source of high quality audio (nor video in most cases), but instead used for either convenience, novelty, crowd appeasement, or some mixture of the three

This includes the following
  • Megavideo (extinct?)
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • Youtube
  • vimeo
  • dailymotion
  • etc
  • etc
post #26 of 48 Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

I'm not a big 'game' watcher... But you can all laugh at me for this. When you mentioned what you did about the crowd noises, I thought of this: I watch American Idol. However after upgrading my system to 5.1 for TV. I have not been impressed on how they mix that show for 5.1. It is true the only sounds that put in the rear channels is .... The crowd noises and clapping. It is really annoying how they mix the singing portion. They turn off the center channel, and have it on strictly on the 2 front-main channels while they are performing. The clapping can be so loud it can hurt my ears, and I have to turn down the rear-channels just for that show. The sound was much better back when I was using a Dolby Surround-Sound processor. Not-So when watching movies.... or even the commercials during American Idol that are mixed much better. --- or Blu-rays... or DVDs.

I wouldn't laugh that you're not sports fan. It's just not your thing. Although, I think everyone should consume more sports. They're like vegetables, LOL.

I was just mainly explaining from my experience on content that I have watched through web browser versus other sources, and what did the other channels bring to the experience. It wasn't to say web browser couldn't offer it, but more a current state of the content, and thus the lack of usefulness. This was in addition to other people's arguments as well.

I have no idea about American Idol. Personally, I don't watch the show. I saw the first season, not by choice, and didn't enjoy it. From what you describe, it's sounds like a horrible experience, and that it's more curtailed to people with something like sound bars or just using the TV speakers. Either that or your TV programming provider is doing something. I will say, music that is mixed for 5.1 property is an excellent experience. Sounds like America Idol is missing the boat on this. In your shoes, I would check out other similar shows such X Factor, The Voice, and so on and see what they do. If it's better, I would write and complain to Fox. On a side note, I think shows like American Idol are pure genius. Talk about the easiest build in fan base for easy record sales for "new" artist. It's about the closest no risk artist the record companies can have.
post #27 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Sounds like America Idol is missing the boat on this.
Sorry we are digressing away from your original topic. But about the mixing: I don't think it is designed for a super theater room like mine. The source audio is designed for the guy that has a tiny center channel, and small Rear speakers. -- So some programs use them very sparing. Also sometimes it is mixed very awkwardly. -- 'Complain to fox...'? Complaining might have got a listening ear back oh.. 10, 20 years ago, but now in this day and age. When there are so many opinionated voices about everything, my lonely voice would just be squashed along with everything else in the information highway. If I sent an email, would it even be read?... no. Their uber sound guys prolly think its fine.

edit: This isn't exactly what I'm talking about but close: http://community.americanidol.com/t5/General-American-Idol/Idol-major-sound-issues/td-p/7454929/page/2 The last guy mentions how loud the audience can be. 'Screeching loud!'. I said above how I have to turn down the rear channels. If I turn down all the volume, than the singing or 'Ryan Seacrest' will be too low.
post #28 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The source content for most HTPC enthusiasts will not be the web, but from other higher quality sources. Also, Google is your friend. It took me all of 5 minutes to Google “flash player 5.1 Surround” to find out that flash does not support true 5.1. Flash will, if the source is encoded as such, support Dolby Pro Logic II. But, DPL II is a “synthesized 5.1 surround”.

As far as Silverlight goes, another Google search on “Silverlight 5.1” produced the following thread –

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/how-do-i-enable-51-surround-sound-when-watching/78b170a5-4e67-4271-bc51-ebf64144a24c

Here is an excerpt from the thread which may help:

"I had crystal clear 5.1 audio while watching Battlestar Gallactica about a year ago on my computer, both in microsoft silverlight, and windows media center. Then suddenly it went away. Apperently after a conversation with netflix tech support, many of their customers are still rockin 2.0 sound systems, and 5.1 streams sound very odd to them (low vocals/dialogue). Which I can confirm, have experienced this myself on 2.0 sound systems. So he said they have temporaily removed 5.1 from their streaming until they can come up with a solution for both customers w/ a 5.1/7.1 sound system and customers w/o.

In the mean time the best thing us 5.1/7.1 owners can do is to enable dolby pro logic II. This is not true 5.1 but you will at least get to utilize all of your speakers. Just enabled this option in windows 7 under properties for playback devices - speakers - dolby. And now I am hearing all my speakers when streaming netflix be it on a web browser window, or windows media center.

Cheers, and hopefully netflix will figure out to put an option in account settings for preferred audio streams ( I.E. Mono/2.0/5.1 ) That seams like a simple solution to me... lets see how long it takes netflix to figure this out. "

Also, part of the thread mentions an Xbox 360 Netflix app which will give you 5.1 surround (if Netflix is broadcasting that source in 5.1).

Hope this helps.
post #29 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post

The source content for most HTPC enthusiasts will not be the web, but from other higher quality sources. Also, Google is your friend. It took me all of 5 minutes to Google “flash player 5.1 Surround” to find out that flash does not support true 5.1. Flash will, if the source is encoded as such, support Dolby Pro Logic II. But, DPL II is a “synthesized 5.1 surround”.

As far as Silverlight goes, another Google search on “Silverlight 5.1” produced the following thread –

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/how-do-i-enable-51-surround-sound-when-watching/78b170a5-4e67-4271-bc51-ebf64144a24c

Here is an excerpt from the thread which may help:

"I had crystal clear 5.1 audio while watching Battlestar Gallactica about a year ago on my computer, both in microsoft silverlight, and windows media center. Then suddenly it went away. Apperently after a conversation with netflix tech support, many of their customers are still rockin 2.0 sound systems, and 5.1 streams sound very odd to them (low vocals/dialogue). Which I can confirm, have experienced this myself on 2.0 sound systems. So he said they have temporaily removed 5.1 from their streaming until they can come up with a solution for both customers w/ a 5.1/7.1 sound system and customers w/o.

In the mean time the best thing us 5.1/7.1 owners can do is to enable dolby pro logic II. This is not true 5.1 but you will at least get to utilize all of your speakers. Just enabled this option in windows 7 under properties for playback devices - speakers - dolby. And now I am hearing all my speakers when streaming netflix be it on a web browser window, or windows media center.

Cheers, and hopefully netflix will figure out to put an option in account settings for preferred audio streams ( I.E. Mono/2.0/5.1 ) That seams like a simple solution to me... lets see how long it takes netflix to figure this out. "

Also, part of the thread mentions an Xbox 360 Netflix app which will give you 5.1 surround (if Netflix is broadcasting that source in 5.1).

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure when this was written. But again... when watching Silverlight Netflix movies. As I've said above. I do get good 5.1 sound. I haven't tested in a few weeks, but I have done it. As I also said above I'm just going to have to test it again, just for this thread. There are a couple of movies that my wife and I have on our Netflix Instant queue.
post #30 of 48 Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix on a PC is two channel stereo sound end of story.

My HTPC front end set up
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page