This is a tricky one, care to help me figure it out? Getting HDMI audio to pass through to receiver (Windows 7) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so here's my setup first:

PC--->HDMI Out on video card---> Yamaha RX-V573

I also have...

PS3-->HDMI Out--> Yamaha RX-V573

My problem is this:

If I start my computer with the PS3 as the active HDMI input, and THEN switch over to my PC(on my receiver) after it has booted up, my receiver will not appear in the list of "playback devices" for Sound until I reboot. I believe I found a way one time to accidentally get it to repopulate WITHOUT having to reboot. Otherwise, rebooting will always fix this issue. There has to be some way that I can detect the receiver without having to reboot my PC.

For the record, everything works fine when I boot up with PC as the active input on my receiver. Sound passes through to the receiver and works great. I'm really looking for a 'trick' to redetect sound devices.

I will likely need to provide some more information, but wanted to get the general gist of my problem down so I could see it for myself and see if anyone has some helpful tips on how to fix the issue.

Thanks! I hope this is the correct sub-forum to post in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Try switching the HDMI inputs on the receiver. You may need to use an EDID override.. there's threads on that subject here. Also, you may need to use a proper sequence to get things right. Try shutting off the TV and AVR then turning on the TV then AVR with a couple seconds between.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Try switching the HDMI inputs on the receiver. You may need to use an EDID override.. there's threads on that subject here. Also, you may need to use a proper sequence to get things right. Try shutting off the TV and AVR then turning on the TV then AVR with a couple seconds between.

I've heard about an EDID override to achieve 120Hz on my TV, the problem is my PC connects to my receiver first, and then an HDMI 1x2 splitter, and then into two separate TVs. This allows me to clone the image to both, but there's not one single TV it's connected to.. so the EDID override might not work.

I've tried swapping between the two inputs a few times, but the PC still thinks there is no HDMI audio on the PC side. Something happens at startup that makes it happen.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You never said there was an HDMI splitter with two TV's in the system in your original post. That is important information and requires a whole different approach to things. My thoughts are that the EDID is not being sent from properly through the splitter. Take it out of the chain and test then report back your results. Can you post specs on the splitter? Where did you get it? Link?

post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You never said there was an HDMI splitter with two TV's in the system in your original post. That is important information and requires a whole different approach to things. My thoughts are that the EDID is not being sent from properly through the splitter. Take it out of the chain and test then report back your results. Can you post specs on the splitter? Where did you get it? Link?

Well I kind of thought that would be irrelevant as this ONLY happens when the PC is not the output on the receiver while the PC is starting up. I'm moreso looking for a way to have Windows 're-detect' my audio devices. Technically if the Receiver is appearing in 'audio devices' in that scenario, then wouldn't that mean this isn't about the EDID passing properly? Granted it could be seeing a different device -- it doesn't explicitly say YAMAHA RX-V573.

Here is the splitter in any case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B7ARRK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

When dealing with HDMI/EDID/HDCP,everything in the playback chain is important when you are having issues.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page