WHS 2011 and ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided to upgrade my WHS v1 server to a new WHS 2011 on the referenced motherboard. I've gotten the software partly installed to the point it's looking for the NIC driver. The ASRock board has the Broadcom BCM57781 network built into the board. I've tried every driver I can find for this NIC but WHS will not accept any of them. It seems Broadcom does not support any windows server software.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I subscribed to Assassin's Server Guide but there is nothing in that guide that addresses this particular problem. As it stands, the WHS software will not complete its installation without the NIC driver.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickHD View Post

I've decided to upgrade my WHS v1 server to a new WHS 2011 on the referenced motherboard. I've gotten the software partly installed to the point it's looking for the NIC driver. The ASRock board has the Broadcom BCM57781 network built into the board. I've tried every driver I can find for this NIC but WHS will not accept any of them. It seems Broadcom does not support any windows server software.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I subscribed to Assassin's Server Guide but there is nothing in that guide that addresses this particular problem. As it stands, the WHS software will not complete its installation without the NIC driver.

Thanks

Very interesting. I have never used a Broadcom NIC come to think of it. My boards usually have either Realtek or Intel.

Let me do some digging for you as I have never seen this issue before. I am afraid that you might need to get an Intel NIC card though (about $20).
post #3 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #4 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Assassin, yes I have tried those drivers although they are not specifically for the bcm 57781 controller. When pointing WHS to the directory these drivers are located, WHS only indicates it cannot find any drivers.

When choosing this particular board, I did not think to see what built in network controller it had. The board was a package deal that included the I3-3225 at Microcenter.

I have ordered the Intel NIC listed in your guide just in case the Broadcom will not work.

Thanks for your assistance.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Assassin, yes I have tried those drivers although they are not specifically for the bcm 57781 controller. When pointing WHS to the directory these drivers are located, WHS only indicates it cannot find any drivers.

When choosing this particular board, I did not think to see what built in network controller it had. The board was a package deal that included the I3-3225 at Microcenter.

I have ordered the Intel NIC listed in your guide just in case the Broadcom will not work.

Thanks for your assistance.

No problem. Happy to help.

Also try this driver: http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink_k57.php

Use the Win7 x64 driver as WHS2011 is based on many of the same drivers. You will have to tell Windows that you want to install it manually and then point it to the driver. Make sure to unzip it first.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Intel NIC card is a pure win.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Assassin, the Win 7 64 bit drivers worked!. I did not download those drivers as I had directed WHS to the network drivers on the ASRock mboard disk and assumed Win 7 drivers were on the disk. So, a big thanks to you.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Assassin, the Win 7 64 bit drivers worked!. I did not download those drivers as I had directed WHS to the network drivers on the ASRock mboard disk and assumed Win 7 drivers were on the disk. So, a big thanks to you.

No problem. smile.gif
post #9 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Everything is up and running smoothly. The broadcom network is fine, no need for a separate Intel card. It transfers at about 145 to 160 MBps. I installed StableBit Drive Pool for pooling of the data drives and Flexraid for parity backup. I really like this combination. Much better security if other individuals access shares remotely.

My question is how can you remote into WHS 2011 desktop. I have only been able to get to the dashboard. WHS v1 allowed you to get to the desktop and then open the "dashboard". I'm running antivirus software, ESET NOD32, on the server that is not available through the dashboard's add in module. Therefore with a headless system it is not possible to tell if the software has updated or is even running. In fact, I do not believe the antivirus will start up until you log in to the server via the desk top. So after a windows update that requires a restart the antivirus will never start up until a hard log in which requires a monitor and keyboard. Just need to be able to get to the server's desktop.

Any ideas?
post #10 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
From a Windows PC just use the Remote Desktop Connection client (just hit the Start button and start typing REMOTE) and enter in either your server's name or the IP address. Then log in with the same username and password used to access the dashboard.

Also, discs that come with hardware should be thrown into the trash. Just go to the manufactures' websites and download updated ones. However, network ones might be tricky if you need the driver to get online...

post #11 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Intel NIC card is a pure win.

Yep, this is what I did in my WHS 2011. I would not mess with a crap NIC on a server.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My question is how can you remote into WHS 2011 desktop.
Any ideas?

Same as you did with WHS 1. I ran both. No problem at all logging in through RDP.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 16
For the record Broadcom NICs are not crap. They make hardware that is used in many high end OEM servers. I don't think I would buy one over an intel mainly because of drivers and compatibility. If I had one I wouldn't feel the need to buy an intel though. I would defiantly prefer one over a Realtek NIC also.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I admit my wording was a little strong.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I found where I could add device names that would allow those devises to remote into the server's desk top, but only when on the same network. Unlike WHS v1, WHS 2011 does not have the ability, out of the box, to log in to the desk top via the internet. You can only access the dashboard. However, I discovered that LogMeIn would allow me to log into any of my computer's desktop from anyplace in the world via the internet. This connection is a VPN. The program is very simple to use.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and information.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
WHS 2011 does allow RDP via anywhere out of the box. Did you forward a port on your router to allow access from the internet?

It is up to you to forward a port on your router to allow incoming connections to port 3389 to your server's IP address. It is no different to allow access in WHS 2011 than Windows XP and Pro+ versions of Vista, Win7 and Win8.

post #17 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I admit my wording was a little strong.
Your wording was fine. There are crap NICs out there. I just wanted to let everyone know that Broadcom's are not. You don't see them in consumer boards very often so I just wanted to point out that they aren't Realtek.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 PM

Liked: 11
Glad you figured it out.

I have a PCIe based intel dual Nic with teaming on my WHS, which I love!!!
post #19 of 22 Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 593
What is the benefit of "teaming" in a media home server application ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #20 of 22 Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What is the benefit of "teaming" in a media home server application ?

More parallel bandwidth for your server and the other PCs accessing your server. Meaning, if you 3 HTPCs in your network and your server has a NIC with 3 gigabit ports and you team them, your HTPCs will get a full 1gbps connection to your server. Without teaming, all our HTPCs are basically cramming the single 1gbps link on your server. For media however, it will take quite a few HTPCs before the 1gbps starts bottlenecking. But since my server hosts nightly backups of all the computers in my home (amongst other data intensive tasks), NIC teaming really is a plus for me.

It is also worth noting that FlexRAID can actually take advantage of the NIC teaming if you think about it.
post #21 of 22 Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You should also note that you also need a managed switch otherwise the only thing you gain is redundancy.

post #22 of 22 Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
No, you can configure switch-independent teaming. It should be in advanced setup under Teams.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page