Ghosting coming from HTPC and XBox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, i'm a newb, forgive me if this has been asked before or of this is in the wrong forum.

I'm just trying to figure out what is causing the "ghosting" (i think that's the term) on my HTPC (windows 7, dell pc) and also on my XBOX. I have a hunch that it's coming from the VGA and component connections (respectively). I could buy an HDMI card for my PC (I think) and a new Xbox which has HDMI output, if that's what it's coming from. But i'm not sure i should go out and buy new equipment if that's not going to help it. Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to get a picture of it, to show what it looks like.

Thanks!
-Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

here's a pic:
post #3 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I agree you probably should try a friends 360 or other device that has hdmi before throwing money at the problem.
It could be that analog video inputs are bad or even all inputs including hdmi.

If those aren't available then try a new video card in the 30$ range from newegg, tigerdirect, etc

post #4 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM

It looks like you need better shielded cables. If you want to try and find a thick shielded fully 15 pinned(not missing pin 9) VGA cable. The higher the resolution that you try to put out from a VGA cable the more issues you can have with cheaper thin cables. You might want to look at a first party or microsoft branded Component cable to for your xbox. It may provide a bit better image than what you are getting now. Going HDMI would be the best way but a better cable could be a cheaper short term fix. Check over at monoprice for both if you are still looking.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update, i got a video card for $40 (geforce gt210) that has HDMI, plugged that in to the PC, and boom, no ghosting whatsoever, it's now crystal clear. The card also pics up the audio from the bus and sends it along with the HDMI video, which is nice - less wires. Thank you all for your help. It seems I should have stopped worrying about what might be causing the ghosting, and just upgrade to HDMI. I will probably do the same for the xbox, seeing how going HDMI on the pc has completely eliminated the ghosting.

Thanks all!
-Russ
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page