Help me throw this popcorn hour off a cliff - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I became a cord-cutter sometime back. I have an A300 that I bought to make watching digital content from multiple sources (downloaded plus converted from older media) and to get a media player that would be easy for me to administer and easy for my wife to use. A year and a half later, I can say "What a joke that idea was!" The sucker crashes often and is riddled with numerous problems, such as a need to constantly adjust lip sync.

I'm sick, sick, sick of it's bugginess and want to go with an HTPC. I figure for right now I will just get the HTPC part and add a storage array later. For now, I have my TV shows on one 2TB drive and my movies on another.

In recent months, I've become fairly proficient with Linux and with "YAMJ" (an independently created media jukebox software for the popcorn hour and various other media boxes), and dabbled with XBMC. Here's what I want:

Something quiet.

Something I can remote control with my existing Logitech Harmony One or something like a logitech dinovo.

A processor with no frame rate or other video bugs

Something fairly inexpensive.

Probably needs to be HDMI so my AVR can receive the audio in all its potential glory.

Something I can later add OTA channels to (optional)

I should also add that I have a chance to pick up a recent i5 Windows 8 Ultramobile touchscreen laptop for $500 (retails for 850). Can that be made to do the job or is that a terrible idea?

I hope Sean W Smith will chime in, if nothing else to straighten me out on how wrong all this is tongue.gif

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 10
I came from a PCH A110, and I used YAMJ as well. Finally decided to go to an HTPC because the PCH was just too finicky - random freezes, difficulty adding multiple shares, etc. I looked at newer versions of the PCH, but apparently they are finicky too. Anyway, very happy with the flexibility and reliability of my HTPC. I would suggest looking at Assassin's guide - there is a free hardware guide, and the $25 for all of the guides is well worth it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thank you.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with the above on the hardware side. And the nice thing is true quiet is coming at a more and more affordable price. If you truly want to go cheap I would recommend you build something that can be put out of sight. The HTPC boxes that look good tend to be on the pricey side.

On the software side the options are endless which is the true appeal of a HTPC. Doing a little self promoting I would recommend you take a look at my thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465156/miracle-htpc-front-end-setup for some suggestions.

Make sure you report back with what you did so that others down the road are able to get an idea of what works and what does not.