Why can't I buy Windows 8? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 213
It seems one cannot buy a full retail version of Windows 8 pro? Even Best Buy sells just OEM versions and upgrades.

What's up. Are we no longer allowed to own and/or install Windows 8 ourselves?

As for the OEM versions to spite popular internet fokelore OEM IS NOT EXACTLY THE SAME AS RETAIL. And it's not just legalese either. There are some installation files that are missing in Win7pro64 that some applications use. You must have used the "OPK" kit to have those files included. They are included in the full retail version. And you must be a Microsoft partner to get the OPK. Nice catch!

OK, so now I have to buy a full retain version of Windows 7 pro because my $150 OEM version is not complete. And as I learned my lesson, I will buy the full retail version just like a good customer. And why not just go for Windows 8 as that is approved for my application as well.

But it seems you can't buy it. If it's true that Microsoft OEM versions are not legal to sell to end users, why does Best Buy and Staples carry them? I can understand some shady online store but these are top retailers? And as I have discovered an OEM version is not complete without the OPK which you cannot get as an end user.

Comments?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I guess I'm missing what is gained by paying more and spending more time to obtain any OPK/APK for a single license installation
Sammy2 likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The upgrade works as a full - I know this from the computer I'm typing to you on. No fancy tricks needed.
post #4 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I guess I'm missing what is gained by paying more and spending more time to obtain any OPK/APK for a single license installation

I have a self installing app that will not load on Win7pro OEM. It does load on another Win7 system. Part of the OPK is said to enable the "end user" to be able to install software. Seems like that may be the issue here?

I would love to be proven wrong here but it seems the OEM versions are not as compilable as advertised in user forums.

Here is the error on my Win7 pro64 SP1:

"There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

Other apps load fine including the older version of the app in question. The new app version does load ok on another Win7pro64 SP1 machine.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #5 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

The upgrade works as a full - I know this from the computer I'm typing to you on. No fancy tricks needed.

But why can't we buy a full up version if we want to? It seems that is not available. What does someone do if dropped out of the sky and never had a windows machine before? What do you upgrade from?

Glimmie's HT Page

post #6 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I had that error before. It turned out to be a bad download of the install file. Eventually downloaded it again and no error.

post #7 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

But why can't we buy a full up version if we want to? It seems that is not available. What does someone do if dropped out of the sky and never had a windows machine before? What do you upgrade from?

You just do the regular Windows install from DVD/USB on a blank HDD and use the 'upgrade' product key. That's what I did with my new build.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I had that error before. It turned out to be a bad download of the install file. Eventually downloaded it again and no error.

Yes but I copied the downloaded and unzipped installation file to a USB stick and that's what I used to try it on another machine which worked. So the file has to be good.

Though somewhat off topic I would appreciate any other ideas from the user group.

Edit: yes i also tried re-downloading the file numerous times. And also with Chrome, IE, and Firefox just on the rare chance that would matter.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #9 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You just do the regular Windows install from DVD/USB on a blank HDD and use the 'upgrade' product key. That's what I did with my new build.

Thanks but is that legal and legit? I could care less about the software police but I need the app to run and I am now skittish about installation hacks like using an OEM version. If I keep buying these cheaper versions, pretty soon I will have paid more than a full retail version with nothing to show for it. And this also gives the software app manufacture an out by saying I am using an unauthorized version.

Can you buy a full Windows 8? You can buy Windows 7 retail but I can't fine anything for Windows 8. Seems odd it isn't readily available.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #10 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks but is that legal and legit? I could care less about the software police but I need the app to run and I am now skittish about installation hacks like using an OEM version. If I keep buying these cheaper versions, pretty soon I will have paid more than a full retail version with nothing to show for it. And this also gives the software app manufacture an out by saying I am using an unauthorized version.

Can you buy a full Windows 8? You can buy Windows 7 retail but I can't fine anything for Windows 8. Seems odd it isn't readily available.

It's legit - you can find stories about it all over the internet. There are no tricks/hacks needed. It activates fine and properly. Is it against the EULA? Probably - but don't know/don't care.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's legit - you can find stories about it all over the internet. There are no tricks/hacks needed. It activates fine and properly. Is it against the EULA? Probably - but don't know/don't care.

It just seems strange that Microsoft would leave a hole like that open and for this long.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #12 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:

It just seems strange that Microsoft would leave a hole like that open and for this long.

Or it's something they're turning a blind eye to because they don't provide a regular retail version - or this is why they decided not to produce a full retail version.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You are entitled to upgrade from XP to W8

XP literally cannot upgrade to W8, so a full installation is required. Vista/7 upgrades also give you the option to "install" from a CD/USB which downloads/creates a full installation

I think that looking for retail software might be chasing your tail. What application is causing so much trouble?
post #14 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or it's something they're turning a blind eye to because they don't provide a regular retail version - or this is why they decided not to produce a full retail version.

With all due respect, that's quite a stretch. This is Microsoft after all. Bill's way or the highway! Why don't they just say for the time being we are allowing full installs for the up[grade proce - no previous versions of Windows required. If nothing else that is a powerful marketing advantage.

Something is not right here in that they don't provide a full retail version. And I can't believe they would look the other way towards boot legging upgrade only versions.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #15 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:

With all due respect, that's quite a stretch. This is Microsoft after all. Bill's way or the highway! Why don't they just say for the time being we are allowing full installs for the up[grade proce - no previous versions of Windows required. If nothing else that is a powerful marketing advantage.

Something is not right here in that they don't provide a full retail version. And I can't believe they would look the other way towards boot legging upgrade only versions.

OK, so then just accept defeat and move on. A solution was given - you won't accept it. End of story.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, so then just accept defeat and move on. A solution was given - you won't accept it. End of story.

Well I do appreciate the suggestions but nobody answered my original question. That is if anyone knows WHY there is no full retail version available? I thought someone here may have some insider information as to the reason.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #17 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

You are entitled to upgrade from XP to W8

XP literally cannot upgrade to W8, so a full installation is required. Vista/7 upgrades also give you the option to "install" from a CD/USB which downloads/creates a full installation

I think that looking for retail software might be chasing your tail. What application is causing so much trouble?

Here:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/362516/ultrascope.jpg

Their support people claim there is no difference between the OEM and full retail versions. I bought the exact motherboard they specified, the Gigabyte Z77x-UP4TH. I need Thunderbolt connectivity for their Teranex 2D processor I also bought, I am not using the USB3 version pictured. This is a $4K investment to date including the SuperMicro RAID chassie with 10TB capacity I bought that can run UNCOMPRESSED HD video. So spending another $300 on the proper OS software is not at all out of the question.

What really concerns me is that we have not even gotten to Thunderbolt connection issues yet and I am sure there are many. I can't even get the damn app to even install.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #18 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
post #19 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting quote http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/882994#883003
Quote:
The Ultrascope is such a great product - I have no idea of what the product manager is thinking at Blackmagic, and why he does not constantly qualify new hardware. He should be flogged in Singapore
post #20 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. This explains it. I searched too but didn't find anything as deep as this.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #21 of 21 Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Look at it this way.. There full isos out there and all you have to do is have a machine slic OEM, the certificate file and a widely known bunch of keys to activate one of those Isos.

Don't have those? The downloaded iso will also activate with a legit key.

It doesn't matter what version you have it'll all activate the same way
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page