Wesena E-5 CPU Cooling options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

I picked up a Wesena E-5 case scratch and dent late last year and so far love it. I built it with the following:

Biostar B-75Mu3+ MoBo
Core I3-2100t
Silverstone NT07 cooler
8GB of ram
Sony Optiarc BR Slot loading Drive
Samsung 830 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 2TB drive
PicoPSU - 120W
2x60w Gelid Case fans

It all works wonderfully as my DVR as well as a movie server for the 200+ movies I have ripped to the hard drive. I have even recently begun using the machine as a Z-Wave home automation server.

Here's the problem. My wife picked our furniture. Our entertainment stand only has about a 4.75" opening for my computer. It fits with a decent 2-3" on each side but only about 1.5" on the top. During the winter my idle temps were at about about 35-37 degrees with full load at about 45 degrees. Now that it has started warming up it idles at 45-47 degrees. Fortunately, I have the fan profiles set such that they don't really let it go above 55 degrees, but that is at the expense of noise.

I know that the ideal answer to my issue is to not put the computer in such a confined space but outside of that, has anyone used a more robust CPU Cooler with this particular case. I am particularly interested in a Scythe Big Shuriken but at 58mm it is probably about 2-3 mm to tall.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Scythe Kozuti, 40mm tall.

BTW the max running temperature of Sandy Bridge is 98ºC (and CPU will automatically throttle down beyond that). You shouldn't too much worry about temperature.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation.

I know I still have a lot of headroom to work with but I try to keep it as cool as possible plus, summer is coming. Temps here will get up to 110 and the room where the computer is does not have good airflow from the A/C so it tends to get very warm. I'm just trying to get ahead of the issue.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 10
How about cutting out the back of the entertainment center and installing fans? I use something similar to this for my HTPC: http://www.amazon.com/CabCool-Lite-Cooling-Cabinet-Theaters/dp/B001NJ4J6I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364327337&sr=8-2&keywords=entertainment+center+fan
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

How quiet are they and are you using them to blow air into the cabinet or suck air out of the cabinet?.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

OK. I think I found the perfect solution. I couldn't find a Scythe Kozuti so I, instead, purchased a Noctua NH-L9i. It is only 37mm tall which actually gives me room to swap out the slim line fan and put in a 25mm fan if I so desire. It is whisper silent and keep my temps under 48c at all times. The part I like best is that it idles at about 37c and I was able to remove the 2-60mm fans that I had placed in the side of the case.

So, to summarize; I have fewer fans, less noise AND less heat in the case. Exactly what I was looking for.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page