Buying "reconditioned" M1015? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Flexraid license and running 5 harddrives from motherboard.
Windows 7 pro 64.

I'm now considering more drives and buying a M1015 and flashing it so it works with flexraid.

Now the seller has markes it as "Reconditioned", is this same thing as Refurbished or should I avoid this specific card?

On Ebay there is a seller selling M1115 for 125usd, not sure if that can be flashed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I don't know much about the M1115, but I believe I read that it can be flashed with the same firmware as the M1015. It's supposed to be a newer version of the same card, IIRC.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
I wouldn't personally mind reconditioned. These things seem pretty reliable and there is no moving parts.

I'd ask the seller for more details but reconditioned probably just means used or repackaged.

I'm not sure what you could "recondition" on one of these cards. Lol.

If price is under $120 I think your good. If its near or higher you might as well buy another instead.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 167
My guess is he is referring to the fact that they have been pulled from a pre-configured server like 90% of these M1015 sold in the ~$100 range. I doubt the card has failed and been reconditioned to working order like a TV or something.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended buying the Dell Perc H200 Integrated, so nowadays I can download the IT firmware & flash tool directly from Dell website?

I made a small mistake buying the H200 with black plastic cover on "gold teeth", seems it is held in place by som plastic bolt and maybe screw, I guess I'll just have to mod it if not fitting on my mobo.
I hope it is identical to normal H200 atleast looks so on picture (2nd is normal 3rd is integrated).
Link to H200
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

My guess is he is referring to the fact that they have been pulled from a pre-configured server like 90% of these M1015 sold in the ~$100 range. I doubt the card has failed and been reconditioned to working order like a TV or something.

Exactly.

I don't think it's a big deal at all.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Reconditioned is just another name for refurbished which is also just another term for slightly used (i.e., customer returns or open box items that can't be resold as new). In this case they are probably working pullks from servers that were scrapped or decommissioned. The seller probably just sticks them in a PC and makes sure they work and then labels them as "reconditioned." I can't believe that they actually do anything to the controller to perform any sort of "conditioning."

I'd be curious to hear the seller's reply if you ask him what was done as part of the reconditioning process. Chances are they probably just cleaned the contacts on the board edge at best.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 167
These cards are commonly sold as standard equipment in many pre-built servers. They are pulled and replaced with a proper RAID card by whatever company bought them. The pulled cards then make their way into the market and chances are they have never really been used.

In this case it is an eBay seller using the word reconditioned. I doubt it means much of anything besides not new in box.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page