universal remote tablet/phone apps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am just curious if people are working on some universal remote apps for phones. As a lot of modern day devices are connected to the netwrok and they often come with a remote app. Are these always locked down so you have to use their (usually awful) app. Or can people write their own programs to interact with the device.

My thought being, could there be an app to simultaneously control all the devices.

ie at the moment I press watch htpc on my harmony one, and my PC wakes up, my tv turns on and switches to the correct input, my reciever comes on and turns to the right input and finally my sub as well.

if you have all these devices connected to the network can you then set it all up so a command can be sent to wake them all up etc? Then have volume controls on your phone that control the reciever, a UI linked to my htpc etc. replacing the need for a logitch harmony one entirely. (and the reliance on IR).

I am just curious if this kind of thing is possible at the moment, or if manufacturers are being restrictive on what can connect to the device over the network?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
This has been around for quite a while. Check out iRule.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Also Roomie for iOS.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

hmm, looks quite good, very limited for the price though.

However I like the fact it is possible.

The main reason for my query is thinking of my future media setup. irule etc arent close to that yet though.

I will eventually be looking more the mediaportal/xbmc development to support this functionality though, so was just curious as to what was possible. If I get the time might even look into seeing if I can code something up myself.

This is linked to my other aspiration of a version of airplay that works well. ie preferably bitstream HD audio and full hd (or ultra hd image) to my reciever. Whoever gets this 1st (apple, google or microsoft) will get my cash. Miracast is the closest yet, but still not good enough. (hopefully wirless ac standard will be quick enough to support this)

With a media front end designed for a touchscreen I hope for the ability to pick up my tablet, browse through xbmc (as an example) then if I decide to watch something, press play. Then the tv/reciever/sub will come on all changed to the correct input. All the media itself will be stored on my media server in a different room.

At that point the tablet functions as my remote, ie having some buttons overlayed on my xbmc interface, volume fast forward etc.

Equally if I browse the music section and press play it will intelligently only turn on the reciever, set it to stereo and play the track.

finally this is also linked to my intrest in steam box. if the same tablet can run steam and looking at the next 2 intel generations (apparently 2014 intel chips are looking to really close the gap on discrete graphics and looking at the next gen consoles it wont be hard to match their power). I hope to have a device to game with as well, streaming the audio/video to my reciever (latency dependant) and connecting to whatever controller I am using (currently the xbox controller is mine of choice). Entirely replacing the need for a ps4/xbox 720 etc.

Leaving me with nothing in my lounge but a reciver, tv, speakers and sub. Whilst having zero compromises, and then a tablet lying their for the daily minor tasks I might want to do, emails/web browsing etc. (in this vein microsoft are really leading the charge with the new windows 8 tablet/ultrabooks).

I just seeing this possibility being tantalisingly close now smile.gif

post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I must be missing something. Exactly what part of your scenario can't be done with iRule? Those are just simple macros.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

the irule can be used as a seperate app, however I was interested in the base concept which it looks like irule does and tyherefore it can be done smile.gif. However at the moment it is an entirely seperate entity, not linked to my movie/tv database with all fanart/cover art etc.

long term I would be more interested in the code for irule being integrated into a media front end like xbmx or mediaportal so it is completely seemless.

At the moiment irule offers me similar functionality than my logitech harmony one.

I am not saying its a bad product or even not what I asked about, as it is exactly both. But the reasoning for my question was for a wider concept I am chasing after.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Everything you're talking about can be done in iRule today without switching to different apps. It just requires a little html code. Check this out:
http://youtu.be/vx3kUBC2YvU
You may want to contact that guy to see how he did it.

While I do think iRule is a fantastic app, I personally don't use it. I prefer a regular universal remote and keeping the interface on the big screen, not on my device. I'm just showing you what's possible.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

that is pretty cool smile.gif a bit slow, but a great proof of concept

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page