Help me acheive a seamless experience - Throwing out all the Comcast boxes! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

(but it's getting better, and on the plus side you can use a TV server - never possible with WMC)

You are wrong. wink.gif

With Windows Home Server your DVR recordings can be archived to your server automatically, which means you can get by with a smaller hard drive in the recording HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

You are wrong. wink.gif

With Windows Home Server your DVR recordings can be archived to your server automatically, which means you can get by with a smaller hard drive in the recording HTPC.

That's not what I meant by TV server. That's just using a server as a recorded TV archive

With my setup, I can run a single NPVR TV server (W8) and it handles every recording and live tv buffer requested in the house (other windows boxes, OpenELEC box, Nexus 7, GNex, etc)

This way I can run OpenELEC off of a flash drive and still have live TV and recording scheduling. The only "resemblance" of this idea within WMC is a HTPC/extender setup. The difference is that nearly any other device (android, jailbroken-ios, osx, linux, windows) can be an extender for my XBMC server, meaning that they have infinitely larger possibilities than just an Xbox/Echo. These are HD cable channels from a cablecard: ESPN, Animal Planet, Discovery, Cartoon Network, Fox Sports, Local HD, etc. all in either 720p or 1080i w/ DD
post #33 of 50 Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

You are wrong. wink.gif

That's not what I meant by TV server. That's just using a server as a recorded TV archive

With my setup, I can run a single NPVR TV server (W8) and it handles every recording and live tv buffer requested in the house (other windows boxes, OpenELEC box, Nexus 7, GNex, etc)

This way I can run OpenELEC off of a flash drive and still have live TV and recording scheduling. The only "resemblance" of this idea within WMC is a HTPC/extender setup. The difference is that nearly any other device (android, jailbroken-ios, osx, linux, windows) can be an extender for my XBMC server, meaning that they have infinitely larger possibilities than just an Xbox/Echo. These are HD cable channels from a cablecard: ESPN, Animal Planet, Discovery, Cartoon Network, Fox Sports, Local HD, etc. all in either 720p or 1080i w/ DD
How's that work for you if you want to do normal cable box things like watch Showtime? What happens if your cable provider changes some of your other channels to Copy Once? I admire your spunk and the use of open source programs (that evil Redmond Empire be Damned!) but I really don't trust ComCast to stop at merely scrambling everything. And I for one wouldn't want to have to spring a different software package and operating procedure on the other half due to a whim of the cable company. To each their own though.
post #34 of 50 Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

How's that work for you if you want to do normal cable box things like watch Showtime? What happens if your cable provider changes some of your other channels to Copy Once? I admire your spunk and the use of open source programs (that evil Redmond Empire be Damned!) but I really don't trust ComCast to stop at merely scrambling everything. And I for one wouldn't want to have to spring a different software package and operating procedure on the other half due to a whim of the cable company. To each their own though.

I'd never use a normal cable box. If push comes to shove, I'll do away with live TV and sell the HDHR prime on ebay

For me a normal cable box never included watching Showtime, HBO, or Cinemax since I've always felt they are over priced

There are several things that can "spring" a change on your setup as well. To the "scambling everything" end, what if all providers started using 2-way on demand as a "replacement" for recording capabilities and mark everything broadcast as "Copy-Never" ? What will you do if Microsoft's arrangement with zap2it expires and you no longer have free guide data?

HTPCs are full of what-ifs. I will enjoy mine for now, and I'll probably change it a lot down the road
post #35 of 50 Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I'd never use a normal cable box. If push comes to shove, I'll do away with live TV and sell the HDHR prime on ebay

For me a normal cable box never included watching Showtime, HBO, or Cinemax since I've always felt they are over priced

There are several things that can "spring" a change on your setup as well. To the "scambling everything" end, what if all providers started using 2-way on demand as a "replacement" for recording capabilities and mark everything broadcast as "Copy-Never" ? What will you do if Microsoft's arrangement with zap2it expires and you no longer have free guide data?

HTPCs are full of what-ifs. I will enjoy mine for now, and I'll probably change it a lot down the road

+1. If it came to it in my case, I would also stop live TV and permanently retire the Ceton card. I surely don't want ugly cable boxes in my setup, plus I don't have any use for the premium channels anyway. Too expensive and don't have anything I would be interested in watching. Besides, once I build up my server with all of my favorite TV series and movies, I will never have need for live TV ever again, unless its to watch the news or weather, and that's on free OTA TV.
post #36 of 50 Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Thanks for the tip! I of course picked "flat panel" in the setup.

Another crazy bug I encountered that I just remembered. Live TV would crash from audio stutter a few seconds into each program with the error message "VIDEO ERROR", trying to stream Dolby Digital through HDMI to my AVR. After some googling, I found the weirdest solution to the problem. Apparently there's a Win 7 bug that if you have your speaker setup for 5.1 in both the control panel and in WMC (through HDMI) you will get the audio error I described above. I got it to work by setting my speaker setup in control panel to 7.1, then I disabled the two rear speakers that don't exist in my setup. Then I was able to choose 5.1 inside WMC, and VOILA, working Dolby Digital sound.

Thank god I found one guy's random post for the solution, ton's of people were going crazy and re downloading drivers, dropping back to stereo sound, and etc!

Turn off the audio sounds that Mediacenter makes as you navigate through the system. Go into settings, that will take care of your error. I had the same issue with my new Denon Receiver.
post #37 of 50 Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0sic View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! I of course picked "flat panel" in the setup.

Another crazy bug I encountered that I just remembered. Live TV would crash from audio stutter a few seconds into each program with the error message "VIDEO ERROR", trying to stream Dolby Digital through HDMI to my AVR. After some googling, I found the weirdest solution to the problem. Apparently there's a Win 7 bug that if you have your speaker setup for 5.1 in both the control panel and in WMC (through HDMI) you will get the audio error I described above. I got it to work by setting my speaker setup in control panel to 7.1, then I disabled the two rear speakers that don't exist in my setup. Then I was able to choose 5.1 inside WMC, and VOILA, working Dolby Digital sound.

Thank god I found one guy's random post for the solution, ton's of people were going crazy and re downloading drivers, dropping back to stereo sound, and etc!

Turn off the audio sounds that Mediacenter makes as you navigate through the system. Go into settings, that will take care of your error. I had the same issue with my new Denon Receiver.

While IDK if that is the bonifide solution to this, I know it works for me.

post #38 of 50 Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 126
If you are using Shark007, you need to set it to "Same as input" also on the audio tab.
post #39 of 50 Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Just wanted to give a quick update on my findings!

Well it took a bit of tweaking and a bit of cussing and swearing, but everything is working fantastic now. I am now in A/V nirvana with movies and live TV.

-HD Homerun prime

-Windows Media Center w/ a custom theme to get rid of the hideous blue

-Removed Junk menus like "sports"

-Added MediaBrowser with MPC-HC as external player (with all the madvr goodness)

-MCE Buddy to send files around on my network (monitors my upstairs loft HTPC and pipes down recorded shows nightly)

-A program that watches the MCE Buddy folder and Handbrakes the .WTV file to .MKV (MCE Buddy does this too, but there were issues)

-MetaBrowser pulling metadata (it's just ok. all these metadata programs seem like garbage TBH - the scrapers in XBMC were more headache free for me)

-Harmony remote to control everything and have all movies/tv/music under "One" interface is just great

Thanks for everyone's help!
post #40 of 50 Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome!

post #41 of 50 Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

-A program that watches the MCE Buddy folder and Handbrakes the .WTV file to .MKV (MCE Buddy does this too, but there were issues)
Just out of curiosity, what program are you using to do this? I'm looking into a little more automation of regular tasks in my setup.
post #42 of 50 Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud sloth View Post

Just out of curiosity, what program are you using to do this? I'm looking into a little more automation of regular tasks in my setup.

Got it from here.

http://videoscripts.wordpress.com/how-to-use/

In my experience, it just did a better job with the encoding than MCE Buddy did. Kind of the long way around, but I use MCE Buddy to wake my HTPC, and rename and send .WTV files to my File Server which is running this program. Once the file hits the "watched folder", it runs Handbrake at whatever preset you chose. Once completed, it moves the new file to my TV folder being monitored by Metabrowser and Mediabrowser.

It's pretty nice, record a tv show any time and by the next morning it's showing up in Mediabrowser w/ all the metadata.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
Awesome, thanks! This should help me be lazier. smile.gif
post #44 of 50 Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So just to be clear...If I used Xbox 360 as an extender and installed the software that will launch XBMC from within WMC, I can watch movies (MKV.'s) from XBMC through my Xbox? Or would I have to share/import my XBMC library with WMC/MB (which I don't currently use) for movies?
post #45 of 50 Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

So just to be clear...If I used Xbox 360 as an extender and installed the software that will launch XBMC from within WMC, I can watch movies (MKV.'s) from XBMC through my Xbox? Or would I have to share/import my XBMC library with WMC/MB (which I don't currently use) for movies?

As far as I know you can't launch XBMC from a Xbox 360. Essentially the app in WMC acts as a link to XBMC on your hard drive, thus taking you out of XBMC. Because there's nothing for the Xbox 360 to jump to, it should do nothing if you click it on the 360. You'll need something like MediaBrowser to work on the 360.
post #46 of 50 Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

As far as I know you can't launch XBMC from a Xbox 360. Essentially the app in WMC acts as a link to XBMC on your hard drive, thus taking you out of XBMC. Because there's nothing for the Xbox 360 to jump to, it should do nothing if you click it on the 360. You'll need something like MediaBrowser to work on the 360.

Great thanks!
post #47 of 50 Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting how something named after Xbox won't work on one.

post #48 of 50 Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Interesting how something named after Xbox won't work on one.

Agreed. It is pretty odd.
post #49 of 50 Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Does XBMC still have a branch that can turn an X-Box into a Media Center?
post #50 of 50 Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The xbox versions of XBMC aren't supported by the Team-XBMC devs

There is a group called xbmc4xbox, and they still have current releases

It's more of a xbox homebrew group, and the typical XBMC repo addons won't have all the dependencies met so the group also maintains xbmc4xbox addons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page