Best xbox for extender and games? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking about getting the Ceton Echo as an extender but the kids said they want an xbox so I thought I would kill 2 birds... I might just buy a new one but didnt know if any of them were more suited as an extender. I have never had an xbox (ps3 only), so Im not sure if it matters which one I get. Is size the only difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are buy brand new, then any XBOX 360 will do. The only difference would me the memory size. Which would not matter in terms of an extender.

Now you still have the option buying the older version of the xbox 360 say off of craigslist or a pawn shop, but those versions are pretty loud and would ruin your viewing expeierence. I hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you, that is helpful. I was planning on a new one. Im just not sure if the 4gb one will be enough for gaming. Not serious gaming, just for my kids. I just want it for the extender. Are the new ones fairly quiet?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I added an old Xbox hard drive to mine for about $20 plus a cheap caddy for it.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

Thank you, that is helpful. I was planning on a new one. Im just not sure if the 4gb one will be enough for gaming. Not serious gaming, just for my kids. I just want it for the extender. Are the new ones fairly quiet?

It all depends on how much downloading your kids will be doing. I have a 11 year old myself and he downloads just about every demo game that is out there.

Another thing about the XBOX that makes it a great extender, is all the apps that are available. Apps such as Netflix, HBO Go, ESPN3 etc, If you are using an HTPC chances are you will no longer have the On-Demand features of cable therefore apps like HBO go can fulfill that void say if you somehow miss Game of Thrones Premiere tomorrow night on HBO, you can recover watch in on the xbox 360.

Having said this I would go with the 250gb version. It kind of sucks that there is nothing in between th 4g and the 250g.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 272
4GB will be ok for casual gaming but if you game a lot, it will not be enough because most games now sells DLC (basically map packs) that will need a lot of space to store). And install games to HDD will make game launch faster and quieter as well as extend the life span of the DVD drive.

You can use a USB stick to extend the storage. But it needs to be fast enough (most cheaper USB sticks won't work) and MS capped it at 16GB max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page