Analog up-conversion...current software options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi everyone,

It's been a long while since I've been looking to do something of this sort...but I have some old Laserdiscs and VHS material I'd love to be able to enjoy. A lot of the VHS stuff is home material, and some of the Laserdiscs are 'legacy' material that has since been 'mucked' with quite a bit (i.e., Star Wars: The Definitive Collection -- the last 'true' version before the Special Editions).

Back when I had my NEC LT-150 as my main projector (1024 x 768 native res), I used a little pentium 3 and the dscaler application, along with a winTV pci card (input), and an ATI all-in-wonder for output. It served its purpose fairly well, albeit the meager p3 was capped out by dscaler even at 1024x768 with certain features enabled.

Anyway, I'm curious of a couple things:
Would dscaler still be the best option for upconverting the video (it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2009)?
and also...
What type of hardware would I need in order to get to 1920x1080 (or considering the source material [well-mastered laserdisc at best], is 720p more than enough)?
I think I do have some old computer parts (pentium 4 3.0ghz) laying around somewhere, if that would cut it...but somehow I'm thinking that might not do it?

Thank you for your input & help!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Perhaps madVR (a video renderer with built-in post processors) is the best option. Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide (a sticky thread) is a brief introduction.

Hardware requirement varies on what quality of upscaling you would want, from Intel Celeron G1610 with integrated graphics + DDR3-1600 (DXVA2 = Lanczos upscaling) to Radeon HD 7770 (Jinc upscaling).
post #3 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
FWIW, the reason dScaler was popular in it's heyday was because video processors in displays at that time sucked or were essentially non existent and the external ones that didn't were hugely expensive.

The video processing found in modern TVs is generally quite good, probably better than dScaler. I guess what I'm saying is I think you're overthinking things, I'd just hook those sources up directly to your display or video processor, I don't really see any gain routing them through a PC unless that's your goal. I haven't seen any development on the PC "video processor" front in a long time.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page