FlexRAID server build and some questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am about to buy the parts for my FlexRAID server and want to ensure I am on the right track. I already have an Intel Celeron G540 CPU so have decided to utilise that in an ASRock B75M R2.0 motherboard with 4gb of RAM and 6 1TB HDD's. apart from FlexRAID the server will run Sick beard, SABnzbd and MySQL for an XBMC database shared between 4 HTPC's.

Will the CPU be enough for my requirements and what do you think of the motherboard?

Also what size PSU will I need, l have a spare 300watt but I could also get my hands on a 400watt if necessary.

I also want to evenly share all data across all the data HDD's, is this possible with FlexRAID?

EDIT: I have been reading up on WHS 2011, is this a better option than Windows 7 as the OS?

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
To split the data across the drives in FlexRAID you need to "seed" the drives with folders prior to making the pool. Once pooled, FlexRAID will fill the drives by adding to the drive that already includes the folder.

Drive1: Movies
Drive2: TV
Drive3: Music
Drive4: Pictures
Drive5: Downloads
Drive6: Parity

Anything added to the Movies folder will be added to Drive1. Anything added to Downloads will be added to Drive5. This happens until a drive is full and then it will automatically create another folder on a different drive and begin filling it up.

This behavior is the default setting and is called Auto-Folder-Priority. The other option is Auto-Space-Priority and is located under the Storage Pool Merge Configuration, how you get there depends on if you used Cruise Control or not.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

To split the data across the drives in FlexRAID you need to "seed" the drives with folders prior to making the pool. Once pooled, FlexRAID will fill the drives by adding to the drive that already includes the folder.

Drive1: Movies
Drive2: TV
Drive3: Music
Drive4: Pictures
Drive5: Downloads
Drive6: Parity

Anything added to the Movies folder will be added to Drive1. Anything added to Downloads will be added to Drive5. This happens until a drive is full and then it will automatically create another folder on a different drive and begin filling it up.

This behavior is the default setting and is called Auto-Folder-Priority. The other option is Auto-Space-Priority and is located under the Storage Pool Merge Configuration, how you get there depends on if you used Cruise Control or not.

Very good post. Yes. This is correct.

Your stuff stays together until your drive fills up.

Then it puts the same folder on another drive with space and begins filling that. Having stuff inside folders helps.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, I'm not sure what the definition is of "filled up". I have a 3TB drive in the pool that has about 400GB free and FlexRAID has started writing the folder contents to another drive.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.........if I had a movie folder on all five drives will FlexRAID populate each drive/folder equally?

David
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thinking about this a bit more I dont think it will be feasable. My movies are all stored in indivdual folders with a single media file and their respective metadata. Each folder will have at least 5 files within it, I dont want them spread across multiple drives.

David
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt it. It'll probably fill what it considers the first drive first and then move on to the next one. The other side of the balancing is the power use/savings. Having all your data fill one drive means the other drive(s) don't have to power up as often.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I doubt it. It'll probably fill what it considers the first drive first and then move on to the next one. The other side of the balancing is the power use/savings. Having all your data fill one drive means the other drive(s) don't have to power up as often.

Thanks, I thought as much. My reasoning was to share the load across all drives rather than having the first few loaded up and the next few nearly empty.

Anyone got any thoughts on my proposed motherboard/CPU combo?

I have read some more on WHS 2011 and it looks like a cheap way of getting a Windows OS that will run FlexRAID at less than half the cost of Windows7

David.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The cheapest OS to run FlexRAID as well as some of your other programs would be Linux...

post #10 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The cheapest OS to run FlexRAID as well as some of your other programs would be Linux...

I know nothing about Linux apart from a very brief play with Ubuntu, I prefer Windows as that's what I know.

David
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page