What has happened? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 192
That thing is probably over kill with an i5 processor. Check the intel NUC threads on here for more information about similar computing devices. You'd be better off building your own so you don't have a bunch of pre-installed bloatware.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok thanks I'll go check it out!
post #33 of 34 Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I actually can see the HTPC going away in place of something like a PS4 or Xbox 720, but not as the "central media hub". For the center I see a media server and then these units accessing that media at each location in addition to whatever online streaming they offer. All I really need is a dumb and pretty front-end with access to a cablecard tuner.
By "Central Media Hub" I was referring to the PS4 or Xbox 720 being the central focal point (or hub) where all the different types media is consumed. I agree the actual media itself will reside on a NAS, or more likely streamed from the cloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

IDK about that. I can build a PC for not much more than what those cost and can do so much more with it, especially since I do not play video games. Gamers might have a different concept than I do though.
I agree most people on this forum can build a HTPC which is more capable for the same or less. However, the majority of mainstream consumersho don't want to build and tinker with a PC, they just want a device which works and integrates easily (that's why Apple sells so many products despite their limitations and closed environment). If the rumours are to be believed (http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-may-take-over-your-tv-be-joined-by-xbox-mini-1143810) the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be more than just gaming consoles and targeted to a boarder audience. Gamers are a limited market segment whereas the market for media devices is much bigger (and if it plays games as well that's a plus). The main Cable TV provider here in Australia already has a subscription service which can be viewed through an Xbox 360 with no need for a cable card as it is delivered over a broadband connection, which I see becoming the predominant delivery method as broadband infrasturcture is upgraded. The HTPC is a niche market which may have peaked as there is an ever increasing range of consumer friendly devices with similar (albeit not as flexible) capabilities that are easier to use and require little tinkering.

post #34 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTPC and assume should never appear in the same sentence, but it might work, what is less likely to work are the USB audio solutions due to driver and other issues.

My standard, learned the hard way advice, build a known working HTPC from one of the guides without variation.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page