Nvidia Audio Issue with Ceton and certain Ceton channels and or content. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
In my living room I have been running a Ceton PCIe InfiniTV4 in WMC with good results for a long time using just the integrated Sandy Bridge i3 graphics. While that is a reasonable solution, I have a big display and there is some motion and artifacting that a discrete card can rememdy.

In the long run I hope to use JRiver and MadVR for cable playback so that also argues for a reasonably competent GPU. I installed a GTX 454 in this HTPC in the last week and saw inprovementins in shadow detail, deinterlacing artifacts and anti-aliasing so all that is good. I also saw fewer of the broken or dropped frames that would occur with both cable and ATSC. Sadly there is an audio glitch the makes the Nvidia an unaccceptable solution despite the above benefits. Mostly during commercials and constantly on some other cable channels I get audio drops outs. I bitstream with stock codecs.

My desktop workstation has been running either a GTS 450 or a GTX 454 for sometime. It was on this box which I only occasionally watch cable TV that I first discovered CNN and some other channels would have drop outs during commercials mostly. Both boxes are Sandy Bridge i3s. The workstation actually would flash video while it was dropping video. It has an intel H67 board, the HTPC in the living room has an H61. On the H61 video is unaffected at all. Both play the content without the glitch on the integrated graphics.

So the H67 would drop video and audio during Commercials on CNN and other Ceton provided channels but never on OTA. The H61 would maintain the video and drop just audio. Almost seemed like a variant of the Silent Stream bug. Both boxes are bitsream to different generation and model Denons. Like the H67 ATSC is unaffected. The H67 is W7 Home Premium 32 bit. The H61 runs W7 Pro 64 bit.

Both boxes do not exhibit the problem with the i3 iGPU. I have tried everything I can think of but you are pretty limited in WMC with Live TV as to what you can change.

JRiver with its (I will call it preview) version of Ceton support, plays the same problematic content without the glitch on both the iGPU and the two Nvidia cards.

I have the late WHQL Nividia drivers.. although this issue has haunted me for a long time over many Nvidia driver releases and is why I had continued using the i3 iGPU as the video solution on my main HTPC. it was only in recent days I had actually verified the problem existed with Nvidia on the HTPC but had long suspected it would act the same and so had put off the switch till now.

I ordered last night an HIS AMD HD 7790 with a bad taste in my mouth because of the various nightmares I had over the years with ATI drivers.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Found a work around perhaps? It is an odd problem and I have never seen it reported here though I have mentioned it a few times in various threads.

Are the recent Radeon drivers less likely to bork a system image?

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been able to ascertain this bug is exclusive to Nvidia. I have temporarily installed an XFX 7770 OC Black Edition. Kind of a lot of options in the CCC. Took some head scratching to match the image quality of gtx 545 and the gts 450. I am not sure I have it all quite figured out. But it plays the Ceton audio perfectly as does iGPU.. it puts the frame together pretty consistently but is still a bit jerky comparted to the Nvidia cards. I need to look at gamma and grayscale. It seems to dark in the mid-range.
So this bug I have been fighting is a Ceton, Nvidia, WMC thing for certain. I don't own an HD Prime to test. JRiver definitely does not do with Red October High Quality.. but that is not reall useful yet.

I hope the HD 7790 is better. But for the now the 7770 is serviceable and it has been a long time since I dealt with CCC, you never know what is going to stick and what is not.

The Radeon looked simply awful with out of the box settings.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would be interested in any setup suggestions for CCC. I have 13.1 and it seems like there is a lot to turn off. Oddly I had to enable the Bright Whites setting. I was clipping white at 231 with that setting off and when I enabled it I then had to turn down the contrast in the CCC to avoidd extreme discoloration at the top of the grey ramp.

Admittely my lamp is getting tired but I did not see this with either the iGPU or the Nvidia GPUs.

As soon as my budget will allow I will spring for a fresh lamp but I will get a meter on this thing before that to see how far off greyscale and gamut are from the signal generator in my Radiance XS.

Anyway, any suggestions on CCC settings would be advantageous. Last time I looked at CCC was probably early 2011. I have all the post processing off.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I would be interested in any setup suggestions for CCC. I have 13.1 and it seems like there is a lot to turn off. Oddly I had to enable the Bright Whites setting. I was clipping white at 231 with that setting off and when I enabled it I then had to turn down the contrast in the CCC to avoidd extreme discoloration at the top of the grey ramp.

Admittely my lamp is getting tired but I did not see this with either the iGPU or the Nvidia GPUs.

As soon as my budget will allow I will spring for a fresh lamp but I will get a meter on this thing before that to see how far off greyscale and gamut are from the signal generator in my Radiance XS.

Anyway, any suggestions on CCC settings would be advantageous. Last time I looked at CCC was probably early 2011. I have all the post processing off.

I'd like to see the answer myself. I'm about at my wits end for my ATI card. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, but nothing seems to work. I don't know if you're seeing the same things as I am, but almost every setting looks washed out and the skin tone around the ears, cheeks, lips and noses are very red. Makes them look like they've spent the last 60 years hitting the bottle hard.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am only trying the Radeon because of the audio bug with Nvidia and Cable Content.

Last night I looked at my settings again and many of the post processing features I had turned off were turned back on again. WTF!.

Levels had somehow changed over the course of 24 hours and I decided to start over again.

I am using Radeon settings, not application settings. I turned off Bright whites.... and I reset brightness and contrast. I don't know why but this time I was able to get whites to not clip at the same contrast number as yesterday. I use the AVS Disk. The night before with contrast at 93 I was clipping at like 231. This time was around 250 on whites. I went back and forth with brightness and ended up at plus 2. At that point 17 was flashing, 16 was invisible and whites had no major color shift on the step pattern or the grey ramp. Colors were clipping but that was alway up at about 245 which is pretty meaningless.

Skin tones may be more of a problem. It was late and I was only using TV not reference material. It certainly looked better than when Bright white was enabled. That was a hacky work around anyway. i just don't know why the CCC does one thing one day and something totally different the next. I will check it again tonight to see if the settings held.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page